I just bought the East West Hollywood Strings Silver edition and want to see how well it plays Barber's Adagio.
I imported a midi file and noticed that the harmonies of the 2nd violin were being played strangely - the top line was cut off from playing when notes from the 2nd line came in.
Then I remembered that Silver Edition doesn't play Divisi.

That's fine, I thought... So I created a new track and edited the midi so the new track played the bottom line of notes, while deleting these off the original track, so there would be no confusion- just one line of notes for each track.

However, the same playback problem occurs.

So I opened a separate track for another PLAY channel, and routed the second 2nd violin track to this, but the problem STILL happens!

Is there any way to fix this?
Or is it an unfixable limitation in PLAY or in Reaper?

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Seems like this should be getting some responses from somebody, for heaven's sake...

I don't use any eastwest libs, though, so I'm at a loss, unfortunately.

• Sounds like maybe because it's a legato patch which can only play one line at a time? Maybe try a sustain patch for the times when the lines divide? Not sure since I don't have the library.
  • Thanks Paul.

I figured it out.

I got it working in Cubase which seems to have easier routing than Reaper.

Also the Silver Edition doesn't play Divisi, so I had to create a new track for that.

• This is how it sounds without any fancy reverb - just the standard reverb that comes with Play.

Adagio with Hollywood Strings.mp3

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8608384265?profile=original
  • Dude, I think I just might have to go watch 'Platoon' now. :)

But, heck yeah, that does sound pretty darn good. Glad you're making some progress with it all.

Stephen Williams said:

This is how it sounds without any fancy reverb - just the standard reverb that comes with Play.

Has anyone worked out how to play Divisi passages in the East West Silver editions?
    I just bought the East West Hollywood Strings Silver edition and want to see how well it plays Barber's Adagio.I imported a midi file and noticed tha…
This reply was deleted.