Replies

• Very elegant music. Beautiful melody. I like it. 

• Nice melody. What sound library did you use? I hear several places, where it sounds too mechanic due too repeating same samples and simultaneous triggering of notes in a chord. Also, the tempo seems too static to me.

Talking about 1:04 place, currently arrangement sounds not enough contrasting and not prepared for the notes used. I would prepare and change arrangement and tempo (or rhythm) here.

What do you think?

• This is nice. Reflective, peaceful.

My only possible suggestion is like Bob's.

at 28" consider going  moving on with the clarinet, breaking up the melody a little.

It is the constant V-I cadences that make the music seem to stop.

• Bob,

First of all, thank you very much for your comments!!!  Because of the lack of my knowledge on music theory, I cannot provide you the name of the chord I used at around 1:04.  All I can say is that I tried to modulate from one key to another.  Maybe the transition was not so smooth.  In addition, I tried to make a temporary stop at places like 1:19, but maybe it was overdone.  Anyway, I will take your comments seriously and will do my best to improve my composition skills.

Bob Porter said:

I really like this. Thanks for posting it.

I don't fully understand the chords at the 1:04 mark. I think I know what your are trying to do, but that measure just seems out of place. A score would help me figure it out. Also there are several places, like 1:19, where the phrasing you have used makes everything come to a complete stop.

Over all, very nice. I'm sure I'll be humming this melody all day.

Grace on Ice
    Here is my new composition.  Thanks for listening. Grace on Ice (By Minseo Park)
  • Thank you very much!

Jakub Siembab said:

Very elegant music. Beautiful melody. I like it. 

Grace on Ice
    Here is my new composition.  Thanks for listening. Grace on Ice (By Minseo Park)
  • Thank you very much!

Charles Greco said:

Well done, with such a charming and appealing melody. Very nice, indeed.

Grace on Ice
  • Alch,

I used EWQL symphonic orchestra as my main sample library.  I agree with you that I need to more humanize my notes to prevent the music being sound mechanical.  I will also consider arranging the music according to your suggestion.  I appreciate your valuable comments!

Alch said:

Nice melody. What sound library did you use? I hear several places, where it sounds too mechanic due too repeating same samples and simultaneous triggering of notes in a chord. Also, the tempo seems too static to me.

Talking about 1:04 place, currently arrangement sounds not enough contrasting and not prepared for the notes used. I would prepare and change arrangement and tempo (or rhythm) here.

What do you think?

Grace on Ice
  • Michael,

As I commented on Bob's comments, my "temporary stop" may have been too strong.  I will find a way to overcome this problem.  Anyway, thank you very much for your comments and suggestions!

Michael Lofting said:

This is nice. Reflective, peaceful.

My only possible suggestion is like Bob's.

at 28" consider going  moving on with the clarinet, breaking up the melody a little.

It is the constant V-I cadences that make the music seem to stop.

Grace on Ice
  • If I have the key correct it sounds like Emi, F#mi, then something like Gdim Eb7-> Ab.

The Gdim is somewhat ambiguous, as it is viidim in Ab, but the notes are also part of Eb7.

It sounds good to me (although I would sooner expect D/F# in stead of F#mi), but I expect the tension people feel comes from the note C against the Db of the accompaniment during Gdim. As I said, I hear no problem, but there are countless alternatives, like Gmi in stead of Gdim, as that would make the ivMD in the key.

Bob Porter said:

Without a score I can't help much at the 1:04 mark. However my instinct is that the progression is OK. It's the melody that is the problem

Grace on Ice
  • One shouldn't need a score to understand (and further "accept" or something) a modulation or whatever thing happens in music. I found the modulation interesting. I know a lot of music theory and I could perhaps analyse it from the score, but I've found myself lately writing music that I don't even care to explain myself. It bothers me a bit, but not much, really.

However, your modulation kind of settled something, the style of the tonality, something that the rest of the composition didn't keep up to. It's a charming melody and some work on the DAW (making longer sustained chords and maybe adding natural sounding reverb) would make it very good.

This reply was deleted.