Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

After my last piece “Impact” I set out to write something simple, no big events, no drama, just one piano and a fun bunch of notes smiling at each other.

As usual, any comment is highly appreciated.

Views: 74

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a charming piece, Joost.  Your subtle manipulations of tempo, and dynamic shading offer a realistic impression of one playing.  Just a couple of things... In many spots there are extentions of RH of a 10th - which may be impossible for many. And some spots are impossible which are even bigger reaches.

Also, there are huge and very rapid jumps in the LH which could be relieved by employing the RH is such spots.

One characterization (significant, Id say) of the Gavotte is that it begins with an upbeat half measure.

Nice work here. Thanks for posting a bit of sunshine.

Hi Gregorio,
Thanks so much for listening and your comments!

You're right, it may be a bit of a challenge to play.....:) well spotted!
In fact, I wrote it with a small orchestra in mind. The lower notes will eventually become double bass pizzicato, the accompaniment pizzicato strings and for the melody I was thinking woodwinds. Unfortunately, at the moment I don’t have adequate equipment to realize an orchestra version. I’ll keep it as something I can look forward to once I have a new computer.
I’m sure there are ways to re-design it so it can be played on piano. I didn’t pay any specific attention to the score, this is the way it came out of MuseScore.

Ah, ok, good to know the Gavotte starts with half a measure upbeat. I guess to have all “the guests” start their dance at the same time, kinda makes sense.

Thanks again for listening and your comments Gregorio, highly appreciated!

gregorio X said:

This is a charming piece, Joost.  Your subtle manipulations of tempo, and dynamic shading offer a realistic impression of one playing.  Just a couple of things... In many spots there are extentions of RH of a 10th - which may be impossible for many. And some spots are impossible which are even bigger reaches.

Also, there are huge and very rapid jumps in the LH which could be relieved by employing the RH is such spots.

One characterization (significant, Id say) of the Gavotte is that it begins with an upbeat half measure.

Nice work here. Thanks for posting a bit of sunshine.

Just to mention a bit more about the 1/2 bar upbeat.. Yes, the dancers, but also, with this type of phrasing - ideas begin and end in the middle of measures (beat 3, and beat 2, respectively) - giving a buoyancy to the flow, (whereas, starting and ending on the downbeat gives feels more gravitationally grounded).

Ahh, thanks Gregorio...hmm....maybe I should give it another name since I didn't really set out to write a Gavotte. I was trying to come up with a name rather then uploading it as a number. Coming up with a proper name is more difficult then writing the piece itself.....:) Anyway, at some point "Gavotte" came out, not really knowing what the specifics of a Gavotte are.

Thanks for your valuable input Gregorio....

gregorio X said:

Just to mention a bit more about the 1/2 bar upbeat.. Yes, the dancers, but also, with this type of phrasing - ideas begin and end in the middle of measures (beat 3, and beat 2, respectively) - giving a buoyancy to the flow, (whereas, starting and ending on the downbeat gives feels more gravitationally grounded).

This is a marvelous work.

Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Very charming.

Thanks for listening Saul, it means a lot to me....

Saul Gefen said:

This is a marvelous work.

Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for listening Irina, your comment is highly appreciated....

Irina Narkevitch said:

Very charming.

What a lovely spritely piece, Joost!

Just what I needed to get me woken up today along with my usual coffee! About the right length too. I think a few dancers would want to catch their breath as it finished. The harmony flows beautifully and you need hardly put in dynamic markings because the level is pretty constant throughout.

As far as playability goes - the pianist would need a Lisztian technique, stretch and courage to play the left hand part. A slight rearrangement in appearance would make it work except the one or two instances that are unplayable such as the LH chord on the 3rd beat of bar 3 and the last 3 LH chords. The right hand would need to stretch a 10th comfortably. Alas, that rules me out!

But I noticed the detail you put into the score such as the the notes you want staccato and not. 

Excellent work, Bright and light.

Cheers,

Dane.

Just to add, 

I noticed in response to Gregorio that you might consider this for orchestration. An excellent idea. 

Good morning Dane,

Thanks so much for listening and your comments!

Yeah, playability is a bit of a challenge, I wrote it with a different instruments in mind. The lower notes double bass pizzicato, the accompaniment pizzicato string and some woodwinds for the melody. Another fun thing to look forward to. I loaded the midi file into MuseScore without adjusting anything. The staccato notes in the score is something MuseScore came up with. I think it’s a decent program but looking at the score now I see it needs adjusting in many places…

Thanks for your remarks Dane, highly appreciated!….

Dane Aubrun said:

What a lovely spritely piece, Joost!

Just what I needed to get me woken up today along with my usual coffee! About the right length too. I think a few dancers would want to catch their breath as it finished. The harmony flows beautifully and you need hardly put in dynamic markings because the level is pretty constant throughout.

As far as playability goes - the pianist would need a Lisztian technique, stretch and courage to play the left hand part. A slight rearrangement in appearance would make it work except the one or two instances that are unplayable such as the LH chord on the 3rd beat of bar 3 and the last 3 LH chords. The right hand would need to stretch a 10th comfortably. Alas, that rules me out!

But I noticed the detail you put into the score such as the the notes you want staccato and not. 

Excellent work, Bright and light.

Cheers,

Dane.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service