I have composed a fugue titled "Flying Over Grand Canyon".  I welcome your critique.  Thank you very much for listening.

Minseo Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaPWu7MxIL0&feature=channel_video_title

Fugue No 3_Flying over Grand Canyon_MASTER.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like the piece, the themes were developed quiet well and it was very exciting. My only qualm about the piece is the subject; Im not sure which is the main attraction, the Grand Canyon or the fact that we are flying. To me I dont hear sounds that make me picture the Grand Canyon, I hear flying in the piece very well but I the Grandeur of the Canyon is lost in the fugue I feel.

Other then that this is a really strong and good piece.

Great job.

• Your comments are well received.  Thank you very much!

I agree with you on the point that the “Grandeur of the Canyon” is not clearly manifested in the subject itself.  However, I have attempted to convey that feeling through the development of the subject.

I wanted to portray both the Grand Canyon and flying aspects, simultaneously; smooth flight over the rough terrain.  I tried to depict the rough and eerie topography of the Canyon via spiccato played by celli in the lower voice (bass) while flying aspect of sound by violins and violas in higher voices.  In addition, I intended to express the “Grandeur of the Canyon” through the augmented (doubled and tripled) subjects in the bass using sustained string sound in the lower voice (bass).

Again, I appreciate your insightful comments!

Tyler Hughes said:

I like the piece, the themes were developed quiet well and it was very exciting. My only qualm about the piece is the subject; Im not sure which is the main attraction, the Grand Canyon or the fact that we are flying. To me I dont hear sounds that make me picture the Grand Canyon, I hear flying in the piece very well but I the Grandeur of the Canyon is lost in the fugue I feel.

Other then that this is a really strong and good piece.

Great job.

Fugue No. 3 - "Flying Over Grand Canyon"
    I have composed a fugue titled Flying Over Grand Canyon .  I welcome your critique.  Thank you very much for listening.   Minseo Park   http://www.y…
  • Oh...spicatto...I was going to say, because of the timbre of the patches you are using, it was difficult to distinguish at times whether the strings were playing pizzicato, or arco. However, although spicatto can be played at varying tempos, I don't recall being able to play spicatto as fast as I hear in your composition -- certainly not with the punch that is being generated with the synthetic patches you are using. You are content to leave it orchestrated solely for strings?....I enjoy your writing, but, to my mind, the word "grandeur" would imply strings, winds, brass, and percussion. I think the piece stands well, as written. However, if the title is going to carry the words, "Grand Canyon," then I, personally, would ask for a fuller development, leading to instruments. There is a section of development which, for me, didn't add or say anything new -- but please understand, I have a very idiosyncratic taste in music, and if you feel fine with the composition, that should certainly outweigh any suggestions I might care to offer in terms of editing some of the music, in my opinion.
  • Thank you very much for your invaluable comments and suggestions!  You have made very good points.  I will take those seriously.

“I don't recall being able to play spicatto as fast as I hear in your composition.”

I perfectly agree with you on this.  I do not think anybody can actually play such a fast spicatto. 

This music is not for actual play.  I do not mind going beyond what people can play to express the sound I want to produce.  With the advent of computer music technology, I can enjoy all the freedom of sonic expression.  (In this music, I have used the cello spicatto and piano sound, simultaneously.  If you concentrate, you may hear piano sound as well.  However, piano sound is kind of buried under the string sound.) 

Of course, I will definitely consider the playability if I compose music for actual play.

“I enjoy your writing, but, to my mind, the word "grandeur" would imply strings, winds, brass, and percussion.”

I will keep that in my mind and remember it for my future compositional work.

“There is a section of development which, for me, didn't add or say anything new”

I am inclined to respectfully disagree with you on this point.  I did add new materials which were developed from the subject in a “fugal” way.  I have used many fugal devices such as stretto, inversion, augmentation etc.

Anyway, I have learned a lot from your critique.

Cheers!

Loren Lieberman said:
    Oh...spicatto...I was going to say, because of the timbre of the patches you are using, it was difficult to distinguish at times whether the strings were playing pizzicato, or arco. However, although spicatto can be played at varying tempos, I don't recall being able to play spicatto as fast as I hear in your composition -- certainly not with the punch that is being generated with the synthetic patches you are using. You are content to leave it orchestrated solely for strings?....I enjoy your writing, but, to my mind, the word "grandeur" would imply strings, winds, brass, and percussion. I think the piece stands well, as written. However, if the title is going to carry the words, "Grand Canyon," then I, personally, would ask for a fuller development, leading to instruments. There is a section of development which, for me, didn't add or say anything new -- but please understand, I have a very idiosyncratic taste in music, and if you feel fine with the composition, that should certainly outweigh any suggestions I might care to offer in terms of editing some of the music, in my opinion.
    Fugue No. 3 - "Flying Over Grand Canyon"
    I have composed a fugue titled Flying Over Grand Canyon .  I welcome your critique.  Thank you very much for listening.   Minseo Park   http://www.y…
  • I have to agree with Tyler, for the Fugue to be successful in feeling, you'd need to get the grandeur of the grand canyon into it with the flying, when I think grand canyon I think long coplandic chords (yes, I realize coplandic is not a word, but it is now). If you can't feel the grandeur without seeing the pictures, then it doesn't work. At parts to me the melody seems kind of random (yet again, I have a very particular music taste). Though it is an enjoyable listen, props for that. (The quality of all the instruments if fantastic, and you know a lot more about music then me that's for sure)
  • Dear Clark,

Thank you very much for your comments!  I have learned a lot from your and other people's comments posted here.  Have a great week!

Minseo Park

• First of all, I apologize for getting back to you late.  Thank you very much for your invaluable comments and in-depth analysis on my music!!!  I will do my best to improve my composition according to your suggestions!  Cheers!
This reply was deleted.