Forét Enchantée

I've been asked to compose around 3.5 minutes of music for an upcoming ballet called Forét Enchantée that will premier late April through early May. My deadline is this Saturday, and I need your ears. The ballet is about an enchanted evening in the forest in which the characters are represented by precious jewels and emerge from the forest at sunrise into the modern world losing their innocence but never forgetting where they came from. The first 2 minutes is about the death of the Wise Old Elder of Trees, and I'm not sure what the last part is about to be honest with you, lol. I just wrote it thinking of my daughter.

So I need your ears to let me know if you think it is finished or it needs something else. I provided a link so people with iPad's can listen to it also. Since this short composition is so important to me, and I need your input, I will make you a deal. If you listen and comment on this piece, I will comment on your work posted also since I see a lot of new works posted recently. I haven't posted comments since I have been so busy with this commission. Thanks guys and gals! :)

~Rod

https://app.box.com/s/vu1lswc4alsrucaevabhgzm3v9hl11cf (Edit April 28)

Video of the 2nd half showing reduced score: https://youtu.be/5cUlgNl26zA (April 17th version)

(edit April 28: remixed balanced the mix especially brass, and added ethereal voices and celesta.) 

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It will be performed the 30th, so hopefully it will be recorded, and then I can share with y'all here on the forum.

Ah, please don't be impressed with the process of this piece. This piece took absolutely nothing to compose. I wrote a melody, added chords, counter-melody, and then percussion. No big deal. The funny thing though is that the recording is in D but the score is reading in Bb Trumpet's C because I was trying to figure out how to write it for wind ensemble or band also for my friends who might want to use it with their ensembles in the fall. But I am finding myself going back to paper and pencil and now trying to record it from there in Cubase. It's also funny that I ran out of staff paper and had to use my wife's notebook that she uses to write her grocery lists. I've composed with paper and pencil for years, if I messed up I just erased it or blotted it out as you can see on the score. Then I would put it in Finale. After I wrote the melody, the chords were no problem, and if you stick closely to the harmonic series then the chords and orchestration write themselves.   

H. S. Teoh said:

Well, to be clear, the music stands on its well very well. I guess it's just wishful thinking to see, at least in sketch, the "final product" which includes the choreography. :-)

As for your "score"... wow, you can actually work that way? I'm impressed. I used to jot notes like that on hand-drawn staff lines, but I got so caught up with the mechanics of drawing staff lines and notes that I didn't get very much composing done. :-P Later on I started using music paper (pre-printed staves), and I have several binders full of notes, complete and incomplete (well, mostly incomplete). I still had to draw clefs and bar lines, though, and recently I decided that instead of constantly erasing wrong notes and redrawing bar lines, I should just do everything electronically instead. I wouldn't have been able to do meaningful work on my overture if I had to constantly rewrite pages because I decided to change the instrumentation of a particular passage... I guess I'm just not as disciplined as the composers of old, who could churn out those masterpieces with just pencil and paper. I'm impressed that you can work that way.

Forét Enchantée
    I've been asked to compose around 3.5 minutes of music for an upcoming ballet called Forét Enchantée that will premier late April through early May.…
  • Wow, that’s great, Rodney.  That 2nd part is wonderful, like the heavens opening.  And maybe the folks are returning to where they came from, all the wiser and all that, after their ordeal.  The clarity of the first part really comes through now, too.  Nice work on that.  I love your score vid, too. I’ve always kept manuscript paper within reach.  I find it so simple and actually comforting, and I get to easily see how I got where I am in steps, ‘cause there’s no back button.  

Very nice! I'm looking forward to hearing how it all progresses.

~D

• Thank you Dave for listening and commenting, and for the reassurance of the 2nd part. I literally had just 3 days to compose it and a couple days to work on the recording. Plus, I had to put so much in just 2 minutes of music. I love working with staff paper also. It's like an old friend who has never let me down. The performance is in 7 days now, and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  
    Dave Ostrowski said:

Wow, that’s great, Rodney.  That 2nd part is wonderful, like the heavens opening.  And maybe the folks are returning to where they came from, all the wiser and all that, after their ordeal.  The clarity of the first part really comes through now, too.  Nice work on that.  I love your score vid, too. I’ve always kept manuscript paper within reach.  I find it so simple and actually comforting, and I get to easily see how I got where I am in steps, ‘cause there’s no back button.  

Very nice! I'm looking forward to hearing how it all progresses.

~D

Forét Enchantée
    I've been asked to compose around 3.5 minutes of music for an upcoming ballet called Forét Enchantée that will premier late April through early May.…
  • https://app.box.com/s/vu1lswc4alsrucaevabhgzm3v9hl11cf Update on the 2nd half (4/28.) I redid the entire mix especially balancing the brass and added flutes, ethereal voices, and celesta during the horn soli.

The performance of the ballet is this Thursday, and the choreographer and her dancers now want a full ballet commissioned for next April. Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and putting up with me and this piece. I am going to try to make a score of the second half but only if anyone is interested in taking a look at it.    

Box
  • Hey Rodney, 

Break a leg tonight. That second part is HUGE.  The voices really add a lot.  Congrats on the commission.

D

• Only just now got some time to listen to the latest version. Very nice!! The celesta adds a subtle but very nice touch to the ending. Good job! And yes, congratz on the commission!

• Don't have much to offer, but I did like this. I'm sure it was just due to time constraints, but the second half just climaxes a little too soon for me. Nice job.
This reply was deleted.