Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

These are also posted at my page. Instead of uploading a second time, should I have linked to those to save server space? If so, then how?

Gurth the swineherd and Wamba the fool are characters in Sir Walter Scott's 1820 novel Ivanhoe. They suffer trials and ordeals and turn out to be heroes in the end, and of course, the smartest one in the book is Wamba. 

This is intended as the second movement of a four- or five-movement piece. My hope for this piece is that it may be played at some time by an amateur or student group. 

Have at it!

*The preview screen doesn't show the upload, but here goes...

Views: 242

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Spencer!

I enjoyed this piece ... it just stopped playing before it got to the end, so I didn't get to hear how you wrapped it up, but what I heard I really liked.  I coach and conduct a lot of chamber groups, and program a lot of new music, and this piece would be fun for one of our programs.  We're all booked up with new music for the next three concerts, but I could probably get a string quartet to read through it sometime around or after the first week in June.   You'll probably have folks in Oregon playing it by then, but if not, give me a holler in May!

Did I miss something, or have you not posted the score yet?  I'd have to see the score before I could see which of my groups could play it, or if it's as programmable as I think it is.  But from my first incomplete hearing, I think the performers and the audience would enjoy this one a lot!

Great work ....  And you know, it's not too late to play violin!   I took my first violin lesson last summer, after a lifetime of being a classical pianist and composer and composition teacher.   One of my composition students just turned 86, so anyone under 70 is just a kid ....

Thanks for checking it out, Julie. I am thrilled that you have expressed an interest in performing it with a group of humans! Such opportunities are scarce here for a number of reasons. Someone I met in the UK expressed interest, but no specifics. You have given me specifics. You will have two movements (see my forum home page) when you need them. Maybe by then I can finish another one. I just started it--the one about Isaac the moneylender. I'm listening to lots of Klezmer/Perlman tracks. I won't rush it though. Lady Rowena's movement took me three months to write.

The score: I will post the score right away, then I will probably post it again later after checking it. I had to do some funny dynamic markings and such to get Sibelius to render the sound properly. It might need reworking to get it to make more sense to a human.

The playback problem: I'm using Safari 6.0 with iMac OS 10.7x, and the only way I can get a clean playback is to right click, Download Linked File, and play it in iTunes when it shows up there, or play it however you would play a downloaded MP3. I also imported the downloaded file into Audacity for Mac, and it worked ok. If I just click the link in Safari, I get a black screen with a little player bar in the middle, and it never works right. I hope that helps. If you're using Windows, I would try downloading and opening the file in the Windows Media Player.

I listened again and had no problems getting to the end.   In fact, I've listened about five times now and enjoy it more each time!   I also looked over the score and at first glance, it looks good!   I'm very excited about programming this piece ... my students will love it and learn from it and the audience will adore it.  

Ooops ... gotta go ... someone is coming up the walk with a violin in tow.   Be back in touch a little later ....

Spencer this is absolutely delightful! I have not read Ivanhoe, and don't know the characters, at least not from the book. Perhaps I've just been introduced to them. ;-)  This sounds like a perfect accompaniment to a Masterpiece Theatre murder mystery.

Julie, I'm so glad you will be programming this!

This is very good.  The interplay between all four voices is wonderful, especially at B, when you finally bring the quartet together en masse.

The only thing I noticed in the score was the use of a few enharmonics; ie m45, should that F# be a Gb?

First attempt and already a performance lined up, how cool is that?

Again, very well done.

Tim

Thank you, Tim, for spotting the enharmonic error m45 in the viola part. And thank you all for the great encouragement! Who knew that joining this forum would yield such a happy result so quickly! 

Buoyed by optimism, I guess I'll post the other finished movement. The first one flew, but I'm not so sure the next one will clear the trees so easily.

Janet, if you're interested in having a look at Ivanhoe, note that I posted a YouTube video that plays this piece while scrolling text from the book. I think I'm not supposed to post links, so search "wamba ivanhoe" at YouTube. 

Good eye, Tim!   I'm going to send you my scores to edit!  ;-)

Tim Marko said:

This is very good.  The interplay between all four voices is wonderful, especially at B, when you finally bring the quartet together en masse.

The only thing I noticed in the score was the use of a few enharmonics; ie m45, should that F# be a Gb?

First attempt and already a performance lined up, how cool is that?

Again, very well done.

Tim

There is no problem with posting links. You can also embed a youtube video or a soundcloud sound on your posts, to let people listen without leaving this page. 

Spencer Doidge said:

Janet, if you're interested in having a look at Ivanhoe, note that I posted a YouTube video that plays this piece while scrolling text from the book. I think I'm not supposed to post links, so search "wamba ivanhoe" at YouTube. 

I enjoyed the read, and an additional listen. :o) Looking forward to more.

Spencer Doidge said:

Wow, I now have three composers from CF on four of our programs!   Janet's wonderful "Harmonious Monk" fanfare started up the second half of our program two weeks ago, on February 16th; Ray's gorgeous "Remembrance" will be one of the premieres on our upcoming June 1st program;  Janet is writing a woodwind quintet to be premiered on our Fall 2013 program and now Spencer's delightful "Gurth and Wamba" will be on our Winter 2013/2014 program!   I am so happy about this outcome, which was totally unexpected for me!

Janet, the kids really loved your fanfare, as did the audience.  By the way, I call all my students "the kids" although some are older than me.  I myself am one of the kids, for that matter.  Several people commented on Harmonious Monk and said it was one of their favorite pieces.  Everyone in our studio loves the idea of having one guest composer from "far away" on each of our programs.  We think any place that isn't "here" is "far away".   ;-)

Spencer, I probably won't be able to program more than one movement per concert -- I have so many composers lined up with new music that we make sure everyone gets a slot.  The programs are already two hours long!   But since we provide lots of stretching, laughing and moving around time, hand out healthy dark chocolate for everyone and give a sit-down banquet after the "show" no one complains about the long concerts!   But I don't dare push them beyond the 2 hour mark ...

So, Spencer, just work on the score between now and let's say late April, adding any intricate details you might want, and send me the finished score and parts when you think it's done.   I'm very much looking forward to hearing it live!  Even though we won't perform it until almost a year from now, I can hopefully record a rehearsal to send to you ...  The feedback from performers is one of the most important parts of writing a piece ... and also one of the most exciting!!

Spencer Doidge said:

Thanks for checking it out, Julie. I am thrilled that you have expressed an interest in performing it with a group of humans! Such opportunities are scarce here for a number of reasons. Someone I met in the UK expressed interest, but no specifics. You have given me specifics. You will have two movements (see my forum home page) when you need them. Maybe by then I can finish another one. I just started it--the one about Isaac the moneylender. I'm listening to lots of Klezmer/Perlman tracks. I won't rush it though. Lady Rowena's movement took me three months to write.

The score: I will post the score right away, then I will probably post it again later after checking it. I had to do some funny dynamic markings and such to get Sibelius to render the sound properly. It might need reworking to get it to make more sense to a human.

The playback problem: I'm using Safari 6.0 with iMac OS 10.7x, and the only way I can get a clean playback is to right click, Download Linked File, and play it in iTunes when it shows up there, or play it however you would play a downloaded MP3. I also imported the downloaded file into Audacity for Mac, and it worked ok. If I just click the link in Safari, I get a black screen with a little player bar in the middle, and it never works right. I hope that helps. If you're using Windows, I would try downloading and opening the file in the Windows Media Player.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service