Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is the second soundtrack piece I have done.  I'm new to this and was wondering what you guys think of it.  I've recently  begun writing film score pieces.  I am just learning how to write this genre of music and how to program the MIDI for it. 

the original post had the piece cut short I think.  At least for me it did.  Maybe it's okay now but here is another link.  It's supposed to be around 2:24 and it fades out.

Falling In Place

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for replying.  I appreciate it.  I pictured it as either the opening title theme or for a montage.  To be honest I'm really just trying to hone my skills. While composing the piece I did have certain thoughts and feelings I tried to convey though.  I wanted to write something that sounded hopeful and that life will change for the better.   I'm not used to composing anything with orchestral instruments and I'm just trying to get some practice.  As you can probably tell, I am still learning how to program MIDI especially when it comes to orchestration.

Hmmm I just realized that the song I uploaded is only 1:56 and cuts short.  It's supposed to be a little longer seconds.

Falling In Place

the piece was originally cut short in my original post I think.  It's supposed to be 2:24 and fade out.  Maybe it was okay for you though.  Thanks a lot for replying and taking the time to listen.  If those feelings come out in my piece then I feel like I succeeded.  I agree that I should start composing along to film.  I should start doing that.

Eric: I could imagine this piece as part of a romantic comedy. It has a "life goes on" feel for me, if that makes any sense. There were some tempo issues though. The recording eventually go faster but before the definite tempo change I heard some unsteadiness in the tempo. Other than that I liked it. You might also want to consider playing with timbre (adding deeper, low to mid-low) tone colors to add depth. Maybe even as an experiment to see if it would add more depth to the piece. But overall it's a pleasant piece. Thanks for sharing.

thanks a lot.  Yeah I struggled to get the tempo right in the beginning where the piano plays by itself.  I intended it to slow down and speed up at parts but I did not get it right.  That was the most difficult part of MIDI editing for me.  What exactly do you mean by low to mid low tone colors?  Do you mean EQ or just another instrument or something?  It do want to soften up the piano part.  I think it sounds too "hard" and too much attack right now.  I don't really have any quality piano samples right now which makes it even harder to do.  Thank you about the romantic comedy "life goes on" comment.  I didn't necessarily intend it for a romantic comedy but more of a love story but I can see now how it would fit into that as well.  I did want to invoke the "life goes on" feeling but in a hopeful way.

you know what?  After listening some more I'm inclined to agree with you Deborah. I do think it sounds more like a romantic comedy.  Thanks for bringing that up.

I meant adding low and mid-low notes (from other instruments or the same, not sure) to add depth to all the high notes being played, add a "middle," but that's just a matter of individual taste, something you might want to explore.

Eric Weissenborn said:

thanks a lot.  Yeah I struggled to get the tempo right in the beginning where the piano plays by itself.  I intended it to slow down and speed up at parts but I did not get it right.  That was the most difficult part of MIDI editing for me.  What exactly do you mean by low to mid low tone colors?  Do you mean EQ or just another instrument or something?  It do want to soften up the piano part.  I think it sounds too "hard" and too much attack right now.  I don't really have any quality piano samples right now which makes it even harder to do.  Thank you about the romantic comedy "life goes on" comment.  I didn't necessarily intend it for a romantic comedy but more of a love story but I can see now how it would fit into that as well.  I did want to invoke the "life goes on" feeling but in a hopeful way.

which section of the song in particular?  Or do you mean just the entire song?  The first half of the song I can agree with you on.  I might try something.  Do you have any instruments in mind I could try?  Maybe a cello?

Hi Eric

I liked this.

I thought the sound set suited the piece, obviously synthetic but for some pieces like this it doesn't matter.

Simple harmonic structure.

Good growth with the added parts to keep the interest, liked the "rebuild" at 1'12''.

With the title I thought of the scene where the hero has just had an epiphany; he's going to rush across town-propose, finish that novel, join up...whatever.

Thanks for the kind words. I can picture thos piece fitting that scenario. I do need to work pn realism though. I dont have expensive sample libraries though. I use miroslav phiharmonik orchestra and halion sonic SE

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service