For the past 15+ years I have mostly been using many East West virtual instrument libraries & Omnisphere. I haven't really expanded that all this time. 

I'm currently using a 12 core Mac Pro 2013 "vaders helmet" with 64 gb memory, with a black magic multi dock and FireFace UFX audio interface. Considering trading this in for an iMac Pro and expanding virtual instruments library and plugins. 

From googling, "Best of 2020" categories, I've noted and listened to most of these online and feel good about them. 

Virtual Instruments: 

• Arturia Pigments 2 
  • The Arturia V Collection 
  • Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6
  • Kilohearts Phase Plant.
  • Spectrasonics Keyscape
  • Xfer Records Serum.
  • Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra
  • Native Instruments Reaktor 6
  • Spitfire Albion ONE
  • Kontakt Komplete 12 Ultimate
  • Bassynth by Wave Alchemy 
  • Spitfire Hans Zimmer Percussion 
  • LA Audio Percussion by Ollie

Plugins: 

• FabFilter Pro-Q 3
  • Waves API 550A & 550B
  • Universal Audio Neve 1073
  • Waves CLA-2A
  • Waves CLA-76
  • FabFilter Pro-C 2
  • Waves C6
  • Waves Renaissance Reverb
  • ValhallaDSP ValhallaPlate
  • Universal Audio Lexicon 224
  • Waves H-Delay
  • Soundtoys EchoBoy
  • FabFilter Saturn
  • Camel Audio CamelCrusher
  • Antares Auto-Tune Pro
  • Celemony Melodyne
  • MeldaProduction MMultiAnalyzer
  • MeldaProduction MRhythmizer
  • Soundtoys Little AlterBoy
  • Polyverse Music Wide

I am open to exploring any sounds that are recommended. I love having access to a wide variety of different sounds.

Thank you for sharing any virtual instrument libraries you recommend having a look at.  

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Virharmonic has a sale on their choral libraries.

i don’t use a DAW except for experimenting with but I couldn’t resist playing with these choirs. (Just using Cakewalk BTW)

•  

• Hi Heyoka.

I don't have direct experience for most of the products in your list, still I will be pleased to throw my 2 cents in the can.

Demoed Arturia V once. Impressive collection. To me it lacks some overall punch (IK's Syntronik really moves air, instead. A different approach, however). B3 and pianos, mmh…
    If you're not much interested in deep patch programming, Arturia own AnalogLab is worth a check. A real bargain when bundled with Arturia hw.

An interesting synthesizer —other than Pigments— is Synthmaster, even its little brother Synthmaster One. Wavetables, analog oscillators, filters… all the parafernalia.

Soundtoys processors are my current go-to plugins when working with rock material. Even "Little" counterparts are effective and good sounding. Got mine in various "9€" sales over time.

Spectrasonic, Keyscape and Reaktor: powerful and expensive. The latter I played with some presets included in Kontakt Player promo downloads.

Kontakt. The same. Many powerful third party libraries (eg. Xsample, Chris Hein's), some inexpensive, other very expensive.

I'm not much into signal processing. Valhalla's reverbs are very good ("Room" is a standard for orchestral mockups).
    If you're interested in plate reverbs, check Soundtoys' Little Plate. Gorgeous.

FabFilter. You can't go wrong with them.

Hope it helps

@Michael

Bought Virharmonic Choral Bundle today. It lies in my download folder. Can't wait to install it.

• Hello Heyoka,

I am somewhat new to the world of DAW music-making and sample libraries. I purchased the EastWest Symphony Orchestra Gold back in the Spring and added the Spitfire BBC Symphony Core in Late Summer. Overall, I prefer the strings in the Spitfire but I like the brass and woodwinds in the EastWest package. I would add that the Spitfire interface is simpler and easier on the eyes than the EastWest Play interface. I tend to mix the two in my compositions, but find sometimes that the EastWest instruments have more default reverb than I like. The two libraries deal with note velocity and expression/dynamics in different ways too, so that is something to be mindful of. 

• hi Harmonius, 

thanks, much appreciated ! I have used orchestral sounds from EastWest for about 12 years, and although i've use this a lot (any many other EastWest libraries)... I never really took the time to get to know all the different instrument types in EastWest Orchestral libraries and really explore building something up.... mostly because the sound itself, even on EastWest Hollywood diamond Strings and Brass... when I click through the different sounds for most of the section version of the instruments - when I hear the sound, I simply don't feel inspired to create music with most of them :/ - that really can be down to me not using them correctly.... but that's how I've felt about a lot of the section instruments in EastWest orchestral.. (platinum orchestral and diamond hollywood strings and brass)... there are some exceptions... but I have felt far more inspired by sounds coming from Spitfire and other Kontakt based libraries. Similar to what you mentioned. 

I don't know... perhaps I need to do a tutorial in EastWest orchestral libraries. When I got Hollywood Diamond Strings, I really expected to press the keys on my keyboard and hear a sound that made the hairs stand up. For orchestral sections I've found other libraries more inspiring and go-to. 

Harmonius said:

Hello Heyoka,

I am somewhat new to the world of DAW music-making and sample libraries. I purchased the EastWest Symphony Orchestra Gold back in the Spring and added the Spitfire BBC Symphony Core in Late Summer. Overall, I prefer the strings in the Spitfire but I like the brass and woodwinds in the EastWest package. I would add that the Spitfire interface is simpler and easier on the eyes than the EastWest Play interface. I tend to mix the two in my compositions, but find sometimes that the EastWest instruments have more default reverb than I like. The two libraries deal with note velocity and expression/dynamics in different ways too, so that is something to be mindful of. 

Exploring Virtual Instruments and Plugins in 2020
    For the past 15+ years I have mostly been using many East West virtual instrument libraries & Omnisphere. I haven't really expanded that all this tim…
  • hi Michael, 

Thanks, I will take a look ! "not resisting playing with" sounds like just the kind of instrument I'm looking for !

Michael Lofting said:

Virharmonic has a sale on their choral libraries.

i don’t use a DAW except for experimenting with but I couldn’t resist playing with these choirs. (Just using Cakewalk BTW)

For the past 15+ years I have mostly been using many East West virtual instrument libraries & Omnisphere. I haven't really expanded that all this tim…
  • Hi Fabio,

I really appreciate your suggestions to check out. Thank you. 

Looking forward to exploring all of these. I'm really curious about Keyscape as Omnisphere has been and continues to be an incredible instrument library. 

Thanks!

Fabio Biolcati said:

Hi Heyoka.

I don't have direct experience for most of the products in your list, still I will be pleased to throw my 2 cents in the can.

Demoed Arturia V once. Impressive collection. To me it lacks some overall punch (IK's Syntronik really moves air, instead. A different approach, however). B3 and pianos, mmh…
    If you're not much interested in deep patch programming, Arturia own AnalogLab is worth a check. A real bargain when bundled with Arturia hw.

An interesting synthesizer —other than Pigments— is Synthmaster, even its little brother Synthmaster One. Wavetables, analog oscillators, filters… all the parafernalia.

Soundtoys processors are my current go-to plugins when working with rock material. Even "Little" counterparts are effective and good sounding. Got mine in various "9€" sales over time.

Spectrasonic, Keyscape and Reaktor: powerful and expensive. The latter I played with some presets included in Kontakt Player promo downloads.

Kontakt. The same. Many powerful third party libraries (eg. Xsample, Chris Hein's), some inexpensive, other very expensive.

I'm not much into signal processing. Valhalla's reverbs are very good ("Room" is a standard for orchestral mockups).
    If you're interested in plate reverbs, check Soundtoys' Little Plate. Gorgeous.

FabFilter. You can't go wrong with them.

Hope it helps

@Michael

Bought Virharmonic Choral Bundle today. It lies in my download folder. Can't wait to install it.

This reply was deleted.