Hello, I have composed this piece for string orchestra in the Horror Genre. I previously did an Old Style symphony so it is a change of pace from that!

I am welcoming feedback especially in terms of articulations as I dont play strings I marked them Marcato throughout and did not feel the need for many dynamics. Also feedback in general is appreciated.

Exorcism scene 1 for pdf.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey, Andy.

Great atmosphere. It works and comes over in the Hammer Horror mood though it felt more like someone/people escaping or the swirls over whatever demon emerging from the victim. Energetic, powerful, the vertical spacing is excellent. A greater variation in dynamics would build up a greater tension.

My doubts were about the double-bass octave Cs in the closing bars. I doubt they're playable? The lower C would be played on the A string and the upper C on the D string which would mean a heck of a stretch. Is there a bass player here to confirm this, p'se?

If not, the alternative is just bow the lower C..........or hire an assistant Double-bassist to stop the D string (Not  allowed during lockdown!!)

Another point about the cellos and basses, it's the accidentals taking bar 7 as an example. Your score says:

F - F# - Fnatl - F# / G - G# - Gnatl etc. (1)

Aside from avoiding unnecessary naturals by converting the sharps to the enharmonic flat F - Gb - F - Gb -G....(2) the passage as you've written it will be played differently from the F- Gb - F.

In (1) some players use the same finger for the F and F#. In (2) they'll use adjacent fingers. In the tempo of this piece both are fine and it doesn't much matter. The effect will be slightly different and could be exactly what you want. But something to bear in mind though in faster pieces, especially legato, the sound will be different.

Good work. 

Looking forward to the next episode.

Bests, Dane

• Thanks Dane , I must add more dynamics for sure. The the bass at the end is a divisi but I must mark it more prominently. Thanks for the advice on the accidentals. Eerie trance scene coming up  probably using Whole Tone and Augmented chords.

Dane Aubrun said:

Hey, Andy.

Great atmosphere. It works and comes over in the Hammer Horror mood though it felt more like someone/people escaping or the swirls over whatever demon emerging from the victim. Energetic, powerful, the vertical spacing is excellent. A greater variation in dynamics would build up a greater tension.

My doubts were about the double-bass octave Cs in the closing bars. I doubt they're playable? The lower C would be played on the A string and the upper C on the D string which would mean a heck of a stretch. Is there a bass player here to confirm this, p'se?

If not, the alternative is just bow the lower C..........or hire an assistant Double-bassist to stop the D string (Not  allowed during lockdown!!)

Another point about the cellos and basses, it's the accidentals taking bar 7 as an example. Your score says:

F - F# - Fnatl - F# / G - G# - Gnatl etc. (1)

Aside from avoiding unnecessary naturals by converting the sharps to the enharmonic flat F - Gb - F - Gb -G....(2) the passage as you've written it will be played differently from the F- Gb - F.

In (1) some players use the same finger for the F and F#. In (2) they'll use adjacent fingers. In the tempo of this piece both are fine and it doesn't much matter. The effect will be slightly different and could be exactly what you want. But something to bear in mind though in faster pieces, especially legato, the sound will be different.

Good work. 

Looking forward to the next episode.

Bests, Dane

Exorcism : Scene 1 for String Orchestra
    Hello, I have composed this piece for string orchestra in the Horror Genre. I previously did an Old Style symphony so it is a change of pace from tha…

• Oops sorry about that slip, Andy. I noticed the same in bars 78 and 82 not marked div so overlooked the closing line. I'll have to buy myself a white stick for looking at scores!!!

Andy Pattinson said:

Thanks Dane , I must add more dynamics for sure. The the bass at the end is a divisi but I must mark it more prominently. Thanks for the advice on the accidentals. Eerie trance scene coming up  probably using Whole Tone and Augmented chords.

Hello, I have composed this piece for string orchestra in the Horror Genre. I previously did an Old Style symphony so it is a change of pace from tha…
  • Hi Andy,

I didn't hear a lot of melody in this one, and what is there strikes me as somewhat repetitive and I was not able to maintain interest -

Best to you,

Gav

• I suppose this was more textural. Its a good point and I will perhaps write more of a  melody style for scene 2 rather than textural again.

Gav Brown said:

Hi Andy,

I didn't hear a lot of melody in this one, and what is there strikes me as somewhat repetitive and I was not able to maintain interest -

Best to you,

Gav

• I suppose it can be regarded as impressionistic in which the mood and effect can dominate.

(I'm hopeless at writing melody because of trying to move away from keys unless it's 'light music' so I'm reliant on motif (which can turn into a semblance of melody when developed), So your work seems to rely on building up on a few basic motifs that work because the work is relatively short. The title suggests an impressionist 'suite'.

This reply was deleted.