Well, I finally got the hang of 'play' after months at the drawing board, and I decided to put two versions of a track that some of you are familiar with: "Spirit of the Stour". The 'play' version is in 64-bit and has had to include some 'bouncing' due to lack of RAM, and I haven't yet got to grips with the use of effects in Cubase Artist 6 (the Miroslav/HALion version is in 32-bit from Cubase SE1). 

Anyway, I'd be interested to know how you compare the two versions, considering that I was quite clued up with the software to make the Miroslav version, whereas in the 'play' version, I was shooting in the dark a bit, but things can only get better, eh? 

I've also left a PDF if anybody wishes to follow the score: 

Spirit of the Stour - Miroslav & HALion.mp3

Spirit of the Stour (EWQLSO - Gold).mp3

Spirit of the Stour.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah, it's amazing how a conductor would strive to get it as tight as possible, whereas a mock-up artist would always offset it for humanisation.
  • Hi Phil, sorry for the late reply.  As far as I know, EWQLSO Gold is compatible with Logic.  When EWQLSO Gold first came out, it was about $1000, and has been coming down ever since.  The best way to keep up with the prices and try to catch an almost giveaway sale, is to register with www.soundsonline.  They send a newsletter every time they make an offer which is very frequent.
  • Simon: Thanks for the G2 ..d does this sound library require any sort of third party loading device to operate? ( like Kontakt whichI've had bad luck with  )  Keep in mind -I'm a computer dummy -I'm barely steps away from a pencil and score pad   :)

Simon Godden said:
    Hi Phil, sorry for the late reply.  As far as I know, EWQLSO Gold is compatible with Logic.  When EWQLSO Gold first came out, it was about $1000, and has been coming down ever since.  The best way to keep up with the prices and try to catch an almost giveaway sale, is to register with www.soundsonline.  They send a newsletter every time they make an offer which is very frequent.
    EWQLSO Gold (raw) versus Miroslav/HALion (with effects)
       Well, I finally got the hang of 'play' after months at the drawing board, and I decided to put two versions of a track that some of you are f…
  • You're actually in luck, Phil.  EWQLSO Gold started off equipped with Kontakt, but since about 3 years ago they've invented their own loading device called 'play' which is naturally included in the price with the library.  I was pretty much a computer dummy when I started out at university (in fact, two of my pieces were written without even a piano), but it's amazing how fast one is to learn the basics in a short time.  The good thing about EWQLSO Gold is that they have a cross fade device that lets you hear the change in tone colour as an instrument changes its dynamic, rather than just a change in volume.
  • I think trying to 'humanize' is a mistake. Instead, perform the part on a MIDI keyboard. Then create two versions- one that is perfect timing for notation/score, and another one that is the human performance. If it's too sloppy, quantize to taste, but I think it's important to perform the part for an authentic human feeling for your mock-up. If you're performing a technically challenging section, slow down the tempo. When you've performed all the parts to your satisfaction, only then convert your MIDI performances to audio tracks. Then tweak those audio tracks...
  • Thanks Matt,  I hope you enjoy it with your new monitors.  I've still got a lot to learn about not just 'play' , but also the Cubase upgrade (Cubase Artist 6).

Matt Le Mare said:

Hi

I use EWQLSO but i must say I do prefer what you have done with the Miroslav/HALion. It sounds less synthesised. The production of the EWQLSO seems sightly better in that it sounds more compressed and fuller. Just about to receive some studio monitors so very eciting. Should be able to give a more informed opinion on sound quality know. Kepp up the good work. Really like the variation of the peice...

best wishes

matt

Well, I finally got the hang of 'play' after months at the drawing board, and I decided to put two versions of a track that some of you are f…
  • Thanks for moving it Ray, I wasn't thinking. I would have been interested in your opinion on my efforts with EWQLSO, but there you go, you can't have everything.

Ray Kemp said:
    This thread is now in Music Technology seeing as the question is about the sample library used rather than the composition.
  • Doug, you and Andrew are both right, but I split coffee all over my midi keyboard, and I haven't the nerve to ask my dad for a new one.

By the way, did you listen to both versions, and if so, which did you like best?

Doug Lauber said:

I've always promoted that idea- of performing the individual parts with a MIDI keyboard and then quantize to taste. Of course, notation requires optimum quantization to often fine resolutions...
  • Phil.  Thanks for the compliment about the piece.  That's really high praise indeed coming from your good self.  Thank you.

phil Kelly said:

Simon :

I can hear a marked difference ( for the better ) in the second ( East West ) version  -particularly in the strings and overall dynamic response. What did that package set you back ?

BTW: very nice piece as well !

• Definitly agree with the need to play all the parts in but not for the timing as much as for the dynamics.
    I thought the Miroslav version sounded more controlled dynamically and a little less obviously digital but I daresay with a lot of tweaking the EWQL could do a job.
    Things like the horn tune at figure A would certainly benefit from being played by hand and routing a controller to a filter or velocity. It doesn't reaaly sound like a section there although in the score it isn't marked as solo.

Btw, why is the Miroslav mp3  3 times the size of the other?

Simon Godden said:

Doug, you and Andrew are both right, but I split coffee all over my midi keyboard, and I haven't the nerve to ask my dad for a new one.

By the way, did you listen to both versions, and if so, which did you like best?

Doug Lauber said:

I've always promoted that idea- of performing the individual parts with a MIDI keyboard and then quantize to taste. Of course, notation requires optimum quantization to often fine resolutions...
This reply was deleted.