Hi there fellow forumees,

I have reinstalled 'play', and rewritten a passage from one of my compositions that lasts about 12 seconds, and I have tried to insert some expression into the solo.  I have used a DXF patch and also cc1 to reshaped the sound.  When you listen, you will find that everything is OK (apart from my lack of skill) until bar 10 when everything becomes unlistenable.  Notes start sticking, notes are missed out, random notes are inserted.....etc.  

I have also (for Cubase users) included a .cpr file (32-bit)  for you to see for your self what happens at bar 10.

Please understand that this is a brand new version of the 'play' update (32-bit version, because the problem is exactly the same on 64-bit versions), 

And also a brand new version of Cubase SE3 (I swapped it for Cubase 5 Essential).

[b]mp3[/b].        http://www.box.net/shared/c7ixc6kkqt
[b]cpr. [/b]         http://www.box.net/shared/y201ux81li

Please understand that this my only obstacle left relating to my use of 'play' and if anyone can find a solution to this problem, I will "consider it a favour given to me personally and will be in your personal debt, immediately payable on demand"....... Mario Puzo, The Godfather.

Cheers,

Simon

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The best thing I can really do is give you all the information about my set up.  I didn't know there were different types of CPU, although I did check the task manager and any task is evenly spread between all four of them.  So here goes:

My PC is:  Hewlett Packard - Compaq HP G5120uk Desktop/PC

Specs:      

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 4GB
    Available Memory Slots: 0
    Total Memory Slots: 2
    Dual Channel Support: Yes
    CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor Model 5, Stepping 3
    CPU Speed: 2900 MHz

Windows 7 - 64 bit Operating System

DAWs:

Cubase SE3 (32-bit)

Cubase Artist 6 (64-bit)

Soundcard:   M-Audio Delta Series - Audiophile 2496

I don't think I'm going to be able to afford an SSD internal HD for some time yet, and that's supposing there's room inside the cabinet.

• I really appreciate all your help, by the way.
  • if you are using the cubase 64 bit version then you will be using all the available memory as required.thats a good start.

i can vouch for that card as i have it myself and its never let me down.quite often i have to run the card buffers at 256 to ensure stability.

just remember that everything you do in 32 bit DAW is only using a couple of Gig as the rest is required to run windows etc

the CPU is perfectly fine and more than capable thanks for posting these specs.very important hurdle to get past and now we can see there isnt a direct weak link obvious at this point.

i would use that link i gave you to check overall system latency while running some audio,if it peaks,start investigating.

with your pc's power it shouldnt be hitting pops and clicks for any obvious latency issues.the m audio card is spot on.they dont update there drivers which is a shame but make sure the one you have is installed correctly,even do a repair install to be sure.

other system latencies can be caused as i said previously,due to resource hungry or overly high priority processes hogging the top spots.

if you run this PC as music only,thats cool but if you use it to go online be wary that a lot of security software can cause issues with libraries like eastwest.

as you stream,a lot of them like to 'look; before handing over the data lol,so thats an obious stall.

turn everything off,your internet connection and disable security while internet is down and your doing your music.

turn off all schedules like windows update and drive defrag etc as these will drop in and stall like crazy.make a note and do them manually once a week.

• I'm just curious here.  If, when I work on my 32-bit DAW, only a couple of gig is required to run windows, why isn't that the same for when I run my 64-bit DAW?  I only have 4 gigs on the whole computer which recognises a 64-bit operating system, so surely, using a 32-bit DAW would be just the same, or wouldn't it?  Please forgive my ignorance.  Computers really are a new thing for me.

Ok, I'm eager to start doing all the checks you made, but you may well have to show me how.  This is how the settings are on the soundcard:

Sample Settings:

Sample Rate - 44100 hz

ASIO/WDM buffer size - 1536 samples

Sync Source:

locked - internal  (not unlocked - external spdif)

SPDIF Settings

mode - consumer

emphasis - not indicated

data type - audio

scms - none (00)

I can use that link, but do I actually check overall system latency.  I don't use a piano keyboard, I just write into the score editor.

If there's anything else you need to know or to instruct me.  I'm always here (it sounds like I'm helping you, doesn't it?)

Cheers,

Simon

• your buffer setting is quite high.you could drop this back a fair way.i would sit at 512 at the moment as the setting on now is overly generous.if you were playing in real time there would be a fair delay.but i appreciate your scoring the notes and not playing.

check both versions of cubase you run in the devices drop down,goto devices setup and  goto vst audio system.make sure the box at the top says m audio delta asio.below that you will see the latency for the card.

at the current setting,it will be very high so make the changes once you shut cubase down and open the m audio device and drop down the setting to 512 for buffer.

if you are running any other asio that isnt delta,it will be a standard windows driver and it will give you lots of problems.

when using the DPC latency checker,run a mp3 song in the background.you dont have to be playing physically for the check to run.

actually running any audio while running the DPC will show any peaks and spikes.

if you do get some red spikes,you need to find out what processes are clashing.i went into the device manager for windows and shut down my wireless internet function first,then worked thru things like USB connectors etc and eventaully found both graphics card and wrieless issues with mine.

it can be a bit of a trek going thru all this but there will be a reason your having problems and its usually something especially daft at first glance.

when it comes to running ram,you would be surprised what is used and why.mine boots up using 1.14gb just for windows.as a rule,PC's tend to run on what they need with a virtual memory setting on the hard drive for compensation values for general performance.

so a 32 bit might show it using far less ram in that state but a higher virtual drive and 64 bit will 'see' the full 4gb ram and require a smaller virtual drive for buffering but make a preference for more actual ram when running.

check the task manager and identify all the processes running and make sure you know what they all are and turn off things that shouldnt be running at start up.

use google for the more obscure file extentions and names and avoid anything that is a svchost or a windows function.

if you buy a windows manager program,you can check the status of all things running at start up and it will tell you what you can turn off permanetly and this will unbloat your pc as extra processes are a nightmare for overall running if they were never required to start.most will insist on making themselves start up as default when you install any new software etc.

• Real time mixdown?
  • Thanks for all your help Russell.  I seem to have got it going now, especially when running it in 64-bit (Cubase Artist 6).  My biggest problem now is lack of RAM capacity.  I'm currently on an evenly spread quadcore (checked the taskmaster) of 2.8 ghz each, but only with a maximum memory of 4gbs.

So now my working is to mix normally, but concentrate on each section of the orchestra as a separate entity, and when finished, bounce all four sections to a new project and mix again.

I really should have checked the max RAM capacity before I bought this computer, but there you go.

This reply was deleted.