Epilogue In Nothing Flat

Here is my Epilogue In Nothing Flat (aka Old World Esoteric Bloviating), a bit of 19th century musical satire.

Yes, this piece is intended to poke fun at the seriousness of serious music.

It is meant to be humorous.

And as well all know, humour is a funny business.

epilogue in nothing flat piano.mp3

epilogue in nothing flat 1.pdf

epilogue in nothing flat 2.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here's the last bit, which wouldn't fit:

epilogue in nothing flat 3.pdf

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8608215873?profile=original
  • By the way- those of you who have heard my whining and complaining about notation software will find examples within this piece of bars and sections that are the very devil to faithful replicate using either Finale or Sibelius.

Sorry about the lack of dynamics and rubato. My electronic keyboard isn't touchy-feely, and while there is a way to inject rubato into the composition, I haven't figured it out, yet.

• What does "UI" stand for?

This piece was done in Anvil Studio. There is a way to add rubato, but I just haven't got around to figuring it out, yet. One of these days I'm going to import it into Sibelius and do a proper job of it.Although . . . I find it very hard to play this piece without laughing.

I can't speak to later versions, but where the versions I have of both Sibelius and Finale run into problems is in losing track of multiple parts in complex arrangements, especially when voices cross over. Notation software is programmed to work a certain way, and where I run into problems is when that "certain way" and I run into conflict.

One of these days I'll isolate a specific example and show you.

I need to buy a MIDI controller keyboard with 88 keys. I'm using an old rinky-dink piece of junk that doesn't have weighted action or touch-sensitivity.

I have a history of buying the wrong equipment for the wrong job. I bought a DP-02 several years ago and never used it. It's okay for syths, gee-tar, bass, and drum-machine, but it's el-stinko when it comes to acoustic instruments.

One of these years I have to get my pie-anna tuned. It's in tune with itself, but it's around 1/4 tone flat, and not in tune with my organs. I need a system that can record piano and brass.

My organs are slated for Hauptwerk/Artisan conversion, which is a major pain in the patoot, but well worth it in the end. When the conversion is done, I'll be able to plug them directly into the computer. Organ and brass sounds pretty awesome.

• Whew. And when you mentioned things that are difficult to do in notation software, I thought you meant something like this:

http://photos.instantencore.com/50680/50680_1024.jpg

:D

Your piece is pretty easy in comparison. Maybe if you didn't know voice layers existed... but then it's a know-how and once you're aware of the functionality, you're suddenly notating the whole thing 20x faster.

Excellent music, by the way. There is this trap that since the piece flows so effortlessly, I didn't really pay too much attention and so the supposedly present mockery of serious music wasn't particularly obvious. Just a piece of oldschool music is what it sounded like. Not that I mind, of course.

• Thanks- that's now my new wallpaper!

Humour is a funny thing.

Greg Brus said:

Whew. And when you mentioned things that are difficult to do in notation software, I thought you meant something like this:

http://photos.instantencore.com/50680/50680_1024.jpg

:D

Your piece is pretty easy in comparison. Maybe if you didn't know voice layers existed... but then it's a know-how and once you're aware of the functionality, you're suddenly notating the whole thing 20x faster.

Excellent music, by the way. There is this trap that since the piece flows so effortlessly, I didn't really pay too much attention and so the supposedly present mockery of serious music wasn't particularly obvious. Just a piece of oldschool music is what it sounded like. Not that I mind, of course.

Epilogue In Nothing Flat
    Here is my Epilogue In Nothing Flat (aka Old World Esoteric Bloviating), a bit of 19th century musical satire. Yes, this piece is intended to poke f…
  • Harpsichord? Now that's an instrument I would ever have considered, Michael. But now that you mention it . . . h'm.

Most of this piece is based on the same four notes, with variations, either descending (as at the opening) or ascending (as at the allegro non stoppo). That's why it seems to flow, and why it was simple to work on (hence the title- "nothing flat").

I always come away feeling soiled and guilty after working on a piece like this, thinking I should be spending my time on something experimental and far more modern. They don't call it "guilty pleasure" nor nothing.

michael diemer said:

Listening to it now. What immediately strikes me is that this would sound really great on a harpsichord.

It is indeed humorous, but there is a lot clever invention also that deserves some applause. If played on the piano, I think a slower tempo might benefit in some places. And perhaps some Rubato here and there. But all in all a successful piece.

Epilogue In Nothing Flat
    Here is my Epilogue In Nothing Flat (aka Old World Esoteric Bloviating), a bit of 19th century musical satire. Yes, this piece is intended to poke f…
  • I have to say that this rather reminds me mostly of a (or rather seems like it would be an excellent) backing track for a silent movie I liked it.

• In this day and age, strangely enough, it may be better to specify GUI (Graphical User Interface). There are CLI's (Command Line Interface) becoming more and more popular (I have no citation for substantiation.) It's a brave new/old world. Rather reminds me of music. :)

Bob Porter said:

Greg,

"What does "UI" stand for?"

Sorry I didn't answer. "User Interface", what you see, and intact with, on your computer screen when using software.

Epilogue In Nothing Flat
  • The silent movie era would suit music like this due to the tongue-in-cheek nature of much early film.

I find the word "interface" to be descriptive enough.

I've thought of consigning this piece to the public domain. But who would play it? :^)

• That's very perceptive re: interface.

As far as who would play your piece? Who cares? Put in the public domain...we'll take good care of it. :)

Greg Monks said:

The silent movie era would suit music like this due to the tongue-in-cheek nature of much early film.

I find the word "interface" to be descriptive enough.

I've thought of consigning this piece to the public domain. But who would play it? :^)

Epilogue In Nothing Flat
This reply was deleted.