Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello to all members,

Voting for the Elements Contest has begun, and you may vote up until the deadline of May 12, 5 pm EST. All the entries for the four elements are below. For each element, there is a separate survey to use to vote.

Vote for Air here

Vote for Earth here

Vote for Fire here

Vote for Water here

Good luck to all the contestants, and please all, do not post anything about entries on this site while the voting is ongoing!

Views: 2784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

67 votes! Deadline to vote is 5/12/18 at 5 pm EST.

PRIZES:

The Composers’ Forum is proud to announce the prizes for the Elements contest! First place winners will receive an element-themed T-shirt, with original art designed by Julie Hulvey, and will also have their choice of two drink ware options - either glasses or coffee cups. Second place winners will receive a shirt, and will have their choice of one drink ware option. Third place winners will receive a shirt.

Samples are included below. After the winners are announced, I will be contacting the winners about their prizes!

71 votes! Deadline to vote is 5/12/18 at 5 pm EST.

Just a few hours left to vote! Deadline is TODAY at 5 pm EST

On behalf of all our forum members, I want to thank Gav for the incredible work he has done on this competition.  Not only did he put together and manage a very thorough and complex competition, but he worked behind the scenes to create these lovely prizes. 

Gav, you are a treasure.  We are lucky to have you here on this forum.

After seeing the really cool prizes, I wish I had entered!!!  ;-)  Good luck to all who did.

The deadline to vote on this contest has passed. 72 responses total were collected, thanks to all who voted! Watch this thread for results of the contest!

FOUR ELEMENTS CONTEST RESULTS!!!

Watch this post, it will have multiple updates. Each will be added when ready. First, the composers of the works in the Elements Contest will be revealed. Second, the winners of the contests for each of the Four Elements will be announced. There will be first, second, and third place winners for each element. Lastly, the comments made by the voters on each piece will be shared. Thanks to all 19 composers who entered the contest, good luck, and please continue not to post your entries anywhere else on this site. There will be an open discussion of the contest results for a while on this thread, after which time I will make another announcement allowing you to freely post your works anywhere on this site >

================
THE COMPOSERS REVEALED
================

01 - Emily Singleton
02 - Clint Clark
03 - Andrew Thornton
04 - George Abbott
05 - Mark Grand
06 - Rev Dave Moorman
07 - Canary Burton
08 - Jon C Sebastian
09 - Marc Farmer
10 - Stephen Lines
11 - Stephen Ferre
12 - Vn
13 - William Joel
14 - Emily Bond
15 - Sid Delby
16 - Kevin Evans
17 - Stu Lloyd
18 - Johannes Bergcrantz
19 - Joshua Empyre

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
WINNERS OF THE AIR CONTEST
================

================
WINNERS OF THE "AIR" CONTEST
================
Members were asked to vote for their #1, #2, and #3 entries. For each #1 vote, I gave the composer 3 points, for each #2 vote, 2 points, and for each #3 vote, 1 point. Whoever has the most points, wins!

1st PLACE WINNER: Composer 18, Johannes Bergcrantz, with "Air" [27 points]
2nd PLACE WINNER: Composer 17, Stu Lloyd, with "Test Flight" [19 points]
3rd PLACE WINNER: Composer 16, Kevin Evans, with "Air" [17 points]

Congratulations!

Other results:

Composer 14, Emily Bond, with "Wind in the Leaves" [15 points]
Composer 08, John C Sebastian, with "Aiya on Aire" [15 points]
Composer 06, Rev Dave Moorman, with "Air" [14 points]
Composer 04, George Abbott, with "Cinematic Action Piece" [10 points]
Composer 13, William Joel, with "Currents" [6 points]
Composer 03, Andrew Thornton, with "War Fairies" [3 points]
Composer 01, Emily Singleton, with "Sketch #3" [2 points]

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
WINNERS OF THE "WATER" CONTEST
================

================
WINNERS OF THE "WATER" CONTEST
================
Members were asked to vote for their #1, #2, and #3 entries. For each #1 vote, I gave the composer 3 points, for each #2 vote, 2 points, and for each #3 vote, 1 point. Whoever has the most points, wins!

1st PLACE WINNER: Composer 14, Emily Bond, with "High Mountain Stream" [19 points]
2nd PLACE WINNER: Composer 11, Stephen Ferre, with "The Black Pool" [16 points]
3rd PLACE WINNER: Composer 10, Stephen Lines, with "Water" [13 points]

CONGRATULATIONS!

Other results:

05, Mark Grand, with "Rain" [12 points]
06, Rev Dave Moorman, with "Water" [7 points]
09, Marc Farmer, with "Water" [7 points]
03, Andrew Thornton, with "Black Magic Caves" [3 points]
04, George Abbott, with "Cinematic Action Piece" [3 points]
07, Canary Burton, with "Rushing Water w/eddies" [2 points]
01, Emily Singleton, with "Sketch #4" [2 points]

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
WINNERS OF THE "FIRE" CONTEST
================

================
WINNERS OF THE "FIRE" CONTEST
================

1st PLACE WINNER: Composer 14, Emily Bond, with "Flame" [26 points]
2nd PLACE WINNER: Composer 04, George Abbott, with "Cinematic Action Piece" [24 points]
3rd PLACE WINNER: Composer 19, Joshua Empyre, with "Fire" [22 points]

CONGRATULATIONS!

Other results:

06, Rev Dave Moorman, with "Fire" [14 points]
03, Andrew Thornton, with "My Fire Dancer Plays Three Pianos" [7 points]
15, Sid Delby, with "Fire" [6 points]

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
WINNERS OF THE "EARTH" CONTEST
================

================
WINNERS OF THE "EARTH" CONTEST
================

1st PLACE WINNER: Composer 12, Vn, with "The Dance of Gaia" [19 points]
2nd PLACE WINNER: Composer 14, Emily Bond, with "Blue-Green World" [15 points]
3rd PLACE WINNER: Composer 02, Clint Clark, with "Element Earth" [13 points]

CONGRATULATIONS!

Other results:

10, Stephen Lines, with "Earth" [11 points]
07, Canary Burton, with "Friedrica and Canary - Earth" [8 points]
15, Sid Delby, with "Earth" [8 points]
06, Rev Dave Moorman, with "Earth" [6 points]
04, George Abbott, with "Cinematic Action Piece" [6 points]
01, Emily Singleton, with "Sketch #1" [3 points]

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
COMMENTS BY VOTERS ON THE "AIR" CONTEST
================

=============
"AIR" COMMENTS - Note: voting in the "Fun Categories" does not count towards the total
=============

01 Emily Singleton "Sketch #3"
[Fun Categories] No Votes
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "It develops only one main melodic rhythmic idea but it does it well I thought.")

03 Andrew Thornton "War Fairies"
[Fun Categories] 3 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic."
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #3 - "The absence of a score makes this my 3rd choice. Normally it would have been the 2nd choice.")

04 George Abbott "Cinematic Action Piece"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most melodious," 2 votes for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most climactic."
[Voter Comments] No Comments

06 Rev Dave Moorman "Air"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 4 votes for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most climactic."
[Voter comments] (voted for you for #1 - "It gave me a nice Latin rumba feel. Quite melodic also!"), (voted for you for #2 - "I loved the melody in particular. And the rhythm that goes along with the melody."), (voted for you for #1 - "Sweet ethereal elemental sound")

08 Jon C Sebastian "Aiya on Aire"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most melodious."
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "Beautiful piece. Lack of a specific element idea put it second.")

13 William Joel "Currents"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic."
[Voter Comments] No Comments

14 Emily Bond "Wind in the Leaves"
[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most climactic."
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #3 - "I like how it uses minimalist techniques without sounding minimalist"), (voted for you for #3 - "Another lovely tune, let down a bit in production.")

16 Kevin Evans "Air"
[Fun Categories] 4 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 2 votes for "Best orchestration," 4 votes for "Most climactic," 6 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic."
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "This piece was unusual and interesting enough to bring me back for multiple listens. I love the "borrowed" air sounds and the movement toward a climax. Unique and well thought out! "), (voted for you for #1 - "Best depiction of 'air', good orchestration...plenty of music within short time frame."), (voted for you for #2 - "Most original approach of the set and done very well....just beaten by composer 18 for me.")

17 Stu Lloyd "Test Flight"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most climactic."
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "Develops the idea well. I can imagine a video of a test flight."), (voted for you for #2 - "Atmospheric and 'airy'.")

18 Johannes Bergcrantz "Air"
[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 4 votes for "Most melodious," 4 votes for "Best orchestration," 2 votes for "Most climactic."
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "I love the sound of currents of air in the underlying strings and the lovely, soaring, melodic line. The harmony is appealing, fresh and reaching toward the climax. It builds up beautifully. A winner."), (voted for you for #1 - "Just beautiful! Noble theme and excellent orchestration. Also it does relate to "air" imo."), (voted for you for #2 - "Excellent sound production!"), (voted for you for #3 - "Nice atmospheric start - good mid-section melody -shame about clunky piano at end."), (voted for you for #1 - "many levels of skill above most others and a beautiful piece.")

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
COMMENTS BY VOTERS ON THE "WATER" CONTEST
================

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service