Hi, this is an assignment piece for my composition class...

I did it with Finale and Garritan.  A huge step ahead for performance quality from MuseSCORE.

One more step is left: to use Note Performer.

I still think MuseSCORE is a good beginning point.  Very easy learning curve...

Cheers.

Al

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ODJBGNcqZxU&list=OLAK5uy_lqH86wWfPyOmRZ1W0D-mw085GTHe7_EyU

Score:Elderly Schzic Monkey's Unrest.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Ali,

An interesting piece although rather short. It could possibly partake in perhaps a 3 movement (or more) suite?

I had a look at the score and not being an astute analyst couldn't see a formal procedure there (i.e. serial) but it does seem inspired by motifs and the limited development that one minute + allows. You make good use of the clarinet range. 

Can I assume it was intended to be in keeping with the title - comical? It comes across as humorously wild aided by your instructions in the score. Your attention to detail in the score is praiseworthy.

Great. Good to see you back here and apologies for a delay in responding. I've been occupied somewhat by another thread to which I had to respond in defence of the views cast against my own music! 

• Hi Dane,

I have noticed the discussion which mentions your own music.  I do not think they need to be answered.

No offense for the views presented but they all belong to a person expressing his view from his point.  'If you judge you will be judged' as Jesus says.

The rule of the game for this assignment was to write something like a wild monkey jumping from one corner to the other in its cage.  Using extreme dynamics with maximum contrast so that contrast drives the continuation of the work.  I got many critics while working on this.  First of all I noticed that I love my work by heart and cannot look at it witha critical view.  Kamran İnce said 'It is one of the most importan skills of a composer to be able to look at what he did with a critical view'...  More over, this is about the critics of your views, I found out that itis deadly important to be able to get out of one's ownself and look what he says from outside...

The attention to detail belongs to Kamran, this is what he taught me...  He also warned me that I should imagine all of them, pitch, dynamics, articulation, harmony together.  Not like Ockeghem... He accuses me that I have too much 'baggage'!  He says I use too much medium level dynamics and escape from extremes...  He urges me to do large contrasts.  Also, he taught me how to avoid the beats of the meter...  

I hope these may give hints about the dynamics that made me write this assignment.

I continue to work on an extended piano piece and the 'Towards the Unknown Self'  meanwhile.  Completing a work is getting increasingly difficıult.  I am urged not to discolose anything unless I do not have ANY doubts when I look at it after a 3-4 days break.

He warns not to send pieces around with possible mistakes as once somebody notices that you may make mistakes he will not read your work next time...  

This is getting bloody difficult I guess.

By the way thank you very much for your attention.

Al

• My pleasure, Ali

"He warns not to send pieces around with possible mistakes as once somebody notices that you may make mistakes he will not read your work next time..."

Well, that isn't me! When it comes to scores I'm no saint! I couldn't count how many have times someone has noticed mistakes in my scores - worse with handwritten scores...out comes the Tippex!

"No offense for the views presented but they all belong to a person expressing his view from his point.  'If you judge you will be judged' as Jesus says."

I'm a little annoyed that they're been deleted because I spent a couple of hours trying to tell Mr Gerber rhat his music is his and mine is mine" They don't compare. That's time I could have spent practising! 

• we could have saved our breath as the thread's been deleted anyway....

• the title of this is wonderful and the music is curiously compelling as well. I like the aesthetics of the score (and the care with detail which I'm afraid is not one of my stronger points) though there are a number of untidinesses like several misplaced slurs which I would have though any decent notation software should automatically deal with these days. No idea how difficult it is to correct this sort of thing as I guess it's for a composition class - otherwise I wouldn't even bother mentioning it.

• Yes David,

I hate noticing those 'small' mistakes in front of the teacher and they grow out incredibly large at that moment.  The slurs may have been dislocated somehow after I presented it by my meager new Finale skills.  I noticed one definite tie-slur relation mistake though...   I am supposed to produce assignments once in a while and that while is getting even shorter plus the number of tasks increase day by day...  He demanded ever more each time till I came to the end of my human limits.  Even smallest finale mistakes, the direction of the 8va lines ending is corrected... although it sounds correct pitchwise.

Thank you for sharing my happy burden.

Al

• Hi Ali, this is a fun piece and you are getting some good sounds here.  That's an interesting assignment, that class should prove useful. You have already mentioned some things that we can all benefit from thinking about.

• Thank you Ingo,

I like to share things that I meet on the music journey like most of our colleagues here.

I appreciate your interest.

Al

This reply was deleted.