Dear composer mates!

Today I sit down to my piano and composed my first polyphonic piano piece/composition, I gave the "Dream of night" name to it.

I uploaded the score here. Could you please give me some advice, how can I improve it if it's neccesary? If it's ready I will play it by myself, it's just the notation software and my piano at the moment.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I put the piece into Db major, but keep the same notes (just to hide the lots of sharp) ;D

Db major version: https://lebersoftware.hu/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Dream_of_night_...

https://lebersoftware.hu/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Dream_of_night_Laszlo_Leber_DbMajor.pdf?fbclid=…
  • Please pardon my saying so but you don't appear to have reviewed the work of others here yet, so all I'll say at this point is this work is quite nice, reminiscent of the work of a certain established composer.

• Thank you. Unfortunately I'm amateur and I don't feel my self ready to criticize real composers work, this is the reason that I haven't wrote response to other composers post yet, but I will try it in the future.

Dane Aubrun said:

Please pardon my saying so but you don't appear to have reviewed the work of others here yet, so all I'll say at this point is this work is quite nice, reminiscent of the work of a certain established composer.

Dream of night - my polyphonic piano composition
    Dear composer mates! Today I sit down to my piano and composed my first polyphonic piano piece/composition, I gave the Dream of night name to it.…
  • I don't compose as a profession. My comments are strictly opinions of mine. Not necessarily based on any certain "way" to do things. 

I enjoyed listening to this. Very imaginative work.

I liked the melody here. I personally thought the arpeggios were moving too fast under the melody. I  couldn't help but think maybe if you play it you could play the music a little less mechanical. The arpeggios in particular need some human interaction. I'm sure if I heard you play this I probably wouldn't be making that comment.

• Have to agree. I'm no professional either (which doesn't mean I won't pick something up if offered and there are perks in it!)

Yes, a most pleasant piece, flows. Perhaps the first chord in bar 34 jarred a little, Is it being played correctly because the harmony looks fine?

This isn't a suggestion about how it could be improved - an experiment, maybe: where you have those long arpeggios in octaves, L and R hands, is it worth trying to space them at 6ths or 10ths in similar situations?

Otherwise....great.

• Yes, basically it sounds more beautiful if I play it live instead of the computer :) I will make an upload in the next 2 weeks I think. Thank you for your comment! :)

Timothy Smith said:

I don't compose as a profession. My comments are strictly opinions of mine. Not necessarily based on any certain "way" to do things. 

I enjoyed listening to this. Very imaginative work.

I liked the melody here. I personally thought the arpeggios were moving too fast under the melody. I  couldn't help but think maybe if you play it you could play the music a little less mechanical. The arpeggios in particular need some human interaction. I'm sure if I heard you play this I probably wouldn't be making that comment.

Dear composer mates! Today I sit down to my piano and composed my first polyphonic piano piece/composition, I gave the Dream of night name to it.…
  • About bar 34, I wanted to play something strange there after the calm waves :) It's like Tristan chord, but not clearly. I don't know that it will be in the final version or not.

Thanks your comment btw :)

Dane Aubrun said:

Have to agree. I'm no professional either (which doesn't mean I won't pick something up if offered and there are perks in it!)

Yes, a most pleasant piece, flows. Perhaps the first chord in bar 34 jarred a little, Is it being played correctly because the harmony looks fine?

This isn't a suggestion about how it could be improved - an experiment, maybe: where you have those long arpeggios in octaves, L and R hands, is it worth trying to space them at 6ths or 10ths in similar situations?

Otherwise....great.

This reply was deleted.