Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

WARNING: LINKS CONTAIN MATERIAL NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN AND MAY BE OFFENSIVE (Admin edit)

In the film "The Third Man", the hero Harry Lime asserted that war and strife is necessary because it produces culture. If we compare Italy and Switzerland in that respect:
5 centuries of Peace and Serenity managed to produce only the cuckoo clock whereas in Italy with a lot of blood and murder and god knows what we had Michelangelo, Botticelli and a lot of other great art, etc.
Of course Harry was motivated by his own financial reasons for this stance.
Any Doppelganger is a bad omen. It is to me like seeing your ghost before you die. In my song (metaphorically) Doppelganger is taking the face of Capitalism and imperialism appearing after a big human catastrophe where the only survivors are a man and a woman making love and calculating whether they should carry on or kill each other.
A political song really…..
Any comments welcome.

"BEWARE these links ARE NOT child friendly and contain material that might be offensive"

pdf
http://www.helicon.gr/viewtopic.php?f=346&t=39&p=39&hil...

scroling score
http://helicon.gr/abcweb.html?xml=downloads131&med=downloads619

lyrics
http://www.helicon.gr/viewtopic.php?f=490&t=186&p=187&s...

Views: 841

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Socrates A., 

I agree with you what you said about Aristophanes.  I love the Frogs, especially, and saw a performance with music, and in a kind of deliberately crude and cockneyed English (which seemed appropriate).  It was absolutely hilarious!  Unfortunately, it's not online, on youtube, or anywhere I can it, otherwise, I'd share the link with you.

I'm trying to keep away from the forum, Chris, and participate much less. But I had to come here and say that I doubt there is any single person in the forum who does not like Socrates or who has ever felt damaged by anything he said. Musically speaking he may have provided better and more useful advice than any other single member of the forum. So please do lay that down at his feet.

Chris Alpiar said:
Im not going to engage any further, you have made your point about your obstinance here. Anyway I shouldnt have reacted, but, well, youre pissing me off, with what you and a few others have turned this place into. Its not a healthy environment for musical growth and I put that in part at your feet. But I have to say one last thought, as a personal, not official thought: when you say you learned your craft years ago then I say its all over for you, man. As soon as you stop learning you are dead. Maybe thats something to consider. And if thats not what you meant, then it was an ego trigger by you to impress how much of a higher level you exist upon. Funny thing is, there are no levels. Just sums of experiences. You have a lot of ego work to do, along with a few others, and I hope, for the music's sake and what your vibrations will do to the world in a million years of minuscle cause and effect chains.

Wow, could all this hoopola be caused by the same thing that is causing

40 volcanoes to be simultaneously going off in the world today? ( a record) 

I will sit back and put my tin hat on, and after some quiet meditation,get back to you.

In the mean time, 'chill'. There is no need for so much drama.

Think peaceful resolution and apply it.  Really, no sweat.           RS

Chris,

I will delete my user account, and wish everyone well with no hard feelings. I only need a few days to find time to copy some of the private messages I received from people I care about, so I can keep them for my records. After that I will delete my account.

To clarify to everyone here about my complaints to you, which you mentioned here, those occurred on December 1 and March 18. They were both complaining about the persistence of racist content (links to external videos, especially) in the forum. Not an occasional reference but on and on and on for months with no end in sight. On March 18, OO tried to have the person in question pledge to stop making references to that kind of material and instead use as references authors that were not associated or famous for their racist ideas. Because the person in question said no, and said that was censorship, I thought we were looking into an indefinite prolongation of this (it had already lasted for months), so I decided to contact the admins again - you and Tyler, and the person I was complaining about got Cc'd too.

We had been told at some point that the administration relies on people to report problems. So I did. Should I not have done so? Before doing so I attempted to argue with the person in question using reason, as did several other people, until we all got exausted and depressed (at least one other person other than myself said it was getting depressing to him). And we're adults. Imagine a young person having to encounter this content.

So this should clarify to everyone reading what the nature and motivation of my complaints to you (which you mentioned) was.

I though the admins could tell that person to stop that content, and that would be the end of that.

Now to explain what I wrote here in this thread, if you don't mind. I noticed that a couple of days ago Socrates wrote something in the forum that I thought was unfortunate (very) but not a correct portrayal of the person we know he is. That is why I intervened here, because I feared you were left with the wrong impression about him. When he actually stands out by his generosity to help other composers. People can have idealized views of the world and sometimes use words in a way that makes sense in their world view but is divorced from actual reality, and they leave the wrong impression about themselves.

I hope this leaves things clear. Clear is good.
Thank you, Chris. Similarly, I also understand your position.

I don't mind leaving. I learned so much here and met so many people I have enormous respect for. I can leave the forum and still be connected to all the positive things that arose here. Everything is connected, and because of that, leaving the forum has very little practical consequence. And I really wish everybody here the best. I don't think actually there is any one person in the forum that I dislike.

Chris Alpiar said:
I didnt say anything anout you being a problem, Mariza, only that your calling me to action has its consequences. I think you did correctly, and shoukd do so again. I am just now forced to either read tens of thousands of words to understand what the root of the issue is, or make judgments that I really dont want to make based on what different people are telling me. Nobody has said anything about you, other than positive things, so far at least. But leaving a forum you are involved with daily intimately can be really good and can be really bad. I wish you the best whichever you choose
Chris,

To answer your question, it's because of the realization that it's so difficult to know what to do, what is the right thing to say, not to say, and when. If I had the time, energy, and the complexity of ethical as well as strategic judgment that appears to be required, I would be heading the United Nations.

And it is also that, if other people are asked to leave the forum, I will miss them and won't feel like coming here anyway. I would feel desolate noticing people being gone.

But I do have a sense of humor, and the irony of saying my goodbyes in a thread of such a theme as this one is not missed on me. :-)

Cheer up, Chris, and look after your health and welbeing. We all should do that more and internet less.

Mariza

Mariza Costa-Cabral said:

Thank you, Chris. Similarly, I also understand your position.

I don't mind leaving. I learned so much here and met so many people I have enormous respect for. I can leave the forum and still be connected to all the positive things that arose here. Everything is connected, and because of that, leaving the forum has very little practical consequence.
Not true at all. For one: I instantly connected with a very insightful comment you made. You touched on a very important topic and I think it just went right by.  looked forward to exploring it further. Your leaving will have a practical consequence. Little? can you say? 
Look, if you wish to serve the PURPOSE of this group then you have to stay. I am sure there are many here that value your input...and you value theirs. Leaving is existentially harmful...get it?  I don't know how to say it any plainer. 
I hope you change your mind.

roger stancill said:

I will sit back and put my tin hat on, and after some quiet meditation,get back to you.

This right. 

Hi Bruce, I don't think we've met before, but thanks for the reinforcement.

I listened to your andante and really liked it. Anytime I listen to something and

wish that there was more of it, for me, thats a good thing.

As for the trills, eh, maybe just a tad longer than need be, but effective.

It's all relative to the scene you are creating or attempting to capture.  RS

Bruce Pearson said:

roger stancill said:

This right. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service