Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hey everyone, 

I am learning film scoring and recently I am having some trouble to find short films / documentaries / trailers with their own sounds but NO MUSIC on them so I can re-score them. I would be very glad if someone could tell me some websites where I could find those types of videos!!

Kind regards!

Jaume

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you tried making one or more yourself, if you have a phone? Maybe a brief doc about your town or a subject like "autumn". Most cameras and phones can make movies these days, time-limited by battery.

There's a topic here by a member, Nigel Campbell who made a short star wars film at home using just his phone (and kids!), adding the effects and the music, all in 9 hours.

http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/scoring-a-short-film-in...

I've found it nigh impossible to download youtube stuff these days.

I forgot to add that some years ago I associated myself with a local amateur movie-maker group that led to a couple of "commissions". One member belonged to a larger group that invited some work from me. Unfortunately their project failed through lack of funding but it was a good exercise all the same.

Are there any such groups near you? One thing I learned was you have to produce what the client wants, not what you think they want! 

I am actually starting a collaborating project with a group of people doing that. And my idea was to train myself to be fast composing music. So I can improve my efficiency working on different types of videos. Despite of what being said, I found very interesting your advice of making my own videos. Doing it so, I will not just train my music skills but also I can learn about shooting too.

Dane Aubrun said:

I forgot to add that some years ago I associated myself with a local amateur movie-maker group that led to a couple of "commissions". One member belonged to a larger group that invited some work from me. Unfortunately their project failed through lack of funding but it was a good exercise all the same.

Are there any such groups near you? One thing I learned was you have to produce what the client wants, not what you think they want! 

I don't have an answer Jaume but a suggestion.  Dane has mentioned getting more involved with the whole process of film making which is a great idea and makes a lot of sense, if you went to film school they would probably encourage that also.

I know you would like the opportunity to 'rescore' films that still have dialog and sound effects but lacking that perhaps you could just turn the sound down on some well known films and work on a score to the silent film image. Just copy images from TV or YouTube with a phone or video camera and load them into your DAW or video software and score from there. You could even dub in any important dialog or sound effects enough to get your hit points for the score I would think. You won't get a professional result but the practice could be helpful.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service