"DANCING" CONTEST - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

All Composers' Forum members are invited to vote!

In this contest, members were invited to write a piece based on the idea of "Dancing." Please vote on which you think are the top three entries and offer comments if you have any. Deadline to vote is 03/27/19 at 5 pm EST. Also, do join us on the Composers' Forum after the winners are announced for a discussion about the works in the contest!

Vote here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PYBPYMB

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You can do it. Please also vote for someone for 2nd and 3rd >

Stanley King said:

What is the conventions with regard to voting for your own composition?

All Composers' Forum members are invited to vote! In this contest, members were invited to write a piece based on the idea of Dancing. Please vote…
  • Yes of course! I am not sure if I will vote for my own piece yet. I was just asking if voting 1, 2, or 3 for you won work was considered poor form.

Gav Brown said:

You can do it. Please also vote for someone for 2nd and 3rd >

Stanley King said:

What is the conventions with regard to voting for your own composition?

All Composers' Forum members are invited to vote! In this contest, members were invited to write a piece based on the idea of Dancing. Please vote…
  • I believe that its wrong to vote for your own composition.

I voted for 3 others works, not mine, and that's the right thing to do.

• FYI- I won't be voting for my own composition.

The tough thing for me is to listen to 20 something compositions and remember each one. I will be writing a brief impression on each one for my own notes using a  number system with 1 being the best and 5 being my least liked. I won't be displaying this publicly.I will then come back to those compositions with the highest rating and sort through them. 

Since it was never said what criteria we should use, my first criteria is that the music must be something that either makes a person think of dancing or is actively something I could potentially dance to myself. My second consideration will be the creativity of the composer. If the music is musically complex but lacks any groove I can't use it due to the requirements. Dance is primarily a rhythmic thing in my thinking. This is just my approach. Yours might be different.

I might need to listen to these numerous times in order to be as fair as possible to everyone. Don't look for a vote from me for a few more days.

• Personally, I don't think it is morally or practically wrong / questionable out of principle to vote for oneself.

If one feels, hand on heart, that the quality of at least three of the other pieces in the competition is clearly better then one's own, then it would be right and fair to acknoweldge and honour this by voting for them - but there is no need to hold back, if one thinks that the own piece is amongst the best.

For me one of the criteria for voting is the question, that / if the piece is likely to ever be played / used in the real world, so, if it is engaging as well as practical. That means, a bombastic and pretentiously complicated "orchestral" piece may not cut it, if this is not going to even happen. If something is perhaps electronic / computer generated, but could be used well, e.g. in a game or such, then this may be okay. 

• I'm sure there's no way to regulate it, but voting for your own work is inconceivable in my humble opinion. What's the point of entering yourself if you can't accept that another composers work is better than yours? It defeats the object of personal growth and development.

Good luck to everyone, however you vote. There is some fantastic work on this thread. (Mine is there as well, but I'll give my three stars to other entrants).

• Agreed. It seems perverse to me, wanting to vote for one's own entry. Just seems smelly. I didn't enter it so it's of no more concern to me than the principle...and a warning. However, few artists are known for genteel qualities.

Graeme Helliwell said:

I'm sure there's no way to regulate it, but voting for your own work is inconceivable in my humble opinion. What's the point of entering yourself if you can't accept that another composers work is better than yours? It defeats the object of personal growth and development.

• It can’t be controlled, so it is allowed
  • I think this will be fun no matter how the chips fall. It is interesting to hear all of the ideas. I only spoke for myself. I won't do it. If others do not feel the same way, that's ok.

I am not attempting to lay a guilt trip on anyone. I don't see the point in voting for myself because to me this is really not an important vote. 

• I am glad I raised the issue as it has brought out useful discussion. It also seems to me most would agree that voting for your own piece is somewhat self congratulatory. I have narrowed it down to 4 pieces and since I won't vote for my own that makes it 3! Just the order to sort out.

This reply was deleted.