Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello Composers and Music Appriciators.

I have for you today an original (short) peice called 'Midnight Dance' and I wrote it as the theme to a short story i wrote a while back. I have re-ivigorated it with my brand-spanking new garritan sounds, and I personally think it sounds great!

But, thats just me. I really hope to get soem good feedback on what was good in it and what Isn't, what you suggest to fix. This piece is a Chamber piece for Piano, Harp, Flute, Oboe, Bassoon and Viola. Odd combo, I know ;)

What I'm specifically looking for:

Does the piece make sense?
Are some parts too repetitive? Is one instrument playing too often?
What special things stood out if any?

STRING PLAYERS!!!

This is a special request, in the viola part (The score is attached, you will need the finale reader or a Finale Product in the 2010 line.) - I put articultions for the up and Down strokes, I dont know how often this is found in parts like this. Does the bow pattern make sense/is playable? Input is very welcome.

---

Any other info you might need just post it here or PM me.
Credit goes to Garritan for the beautiful sounds ^___^

----
My Page

Views: 52

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its very nice, very pretty sounding almost Celtic.

There are a few issues I had with the piece:
The piece was very repetitive and seem to just have the same chord progression through out the entire piece.

There are also some range issues in your harp, I not sure, but I think that goes beyond the range of a slandered harp, or at least goes into the range that isn't the best sound for the harp.

The biggest issue I had was the Mezzo-soprano. She sings one note through out the entire piece with no direction of what word or vowel to sing, and that note does not match in any shape or form to what the ensemble is doing. I'm not quite sure what you included a soprano in an instrumental ensemble, nor do I understand why she would be singing the only G# in the entire piece at what seems to be random times. To me, it sounds more like a mistake, or an accident and your audience will also interpret that as a mistake and not a deliberate musical gestures.

Other then that, the piece was very nice, and very playable. I like how specific you were with your viola bowing, as well as the interplay between the piano and harp. All were very nice,
Keep up the good work.
Tyler makes an interesting point of me not cleaning up the score:

That mezzo-soprano part is nto a vocal part, its a percusiion part (Because of how Finale handles garritan) and those 3 G# are wind chimes / mark tree. Just to clear that up.
Chris, sorry I took so long to get to this! On first listening, I wondered whether having a harp and a piano was perhaps a bit redundant? At times I quite like the blend of timbres, but I feel overall it would work better with one or the other, and I'm leaning towards the piano. As an aside, the harp is an incredibly tricky instrument to write for as I discovered when putting a harp part into one of my orchestral compositions and subsequently finding out that much of what I had written was not playable due to the instrument's limitations with the pedals and the very specific fingering patterns that are used. Without any in depth knowledge of these issues or a harp player on hand to correct you, it is highly likely that you will end up creating a part that needs a complete rewrite to make it playable.
I'm busy downloading Finale Reader to take a look at the score (I'm on Finale 2007, so can't access it at the moment). I'll get back to you about the viola part and more comments on the composition as a whole once I've had a look at it and had another listen or two!
Dan and Deryn Cullen said:
Chris, sorry I took so long to get to this! On first listening, I wondered whether having a harp and a piano was perhaps a bit redundant? At times I quite like the blend of timbres, but I feel overall it would work better with one or the other, and I'm leaning towards the piano. As an aside, the harp is an incredibly tricky instrument to write for as I discovered when putting a harp part into one of my orchestral compositions and subsequently finding out that much of what I had written was not playable due to the instrument's limitations with the pedals and the very specific fingering patterns that are used. Without any in depth knowledge of these issues or a harp player on hand to correct you, it is highly likely that you will end up creating a part that needs a complete rewrite to make it playable.
I'm busy downloading Finale Reader to take a look at the score (I'm on Finale 2007, so can't access it at the moment). I'll get back to you about the viola part and more comments on the composition as a whole once I've had a look at it and had another listen or two!

Thanks for your first response here!

I will tell you the truth, I am terrible at piano, so the piano part will never be interesting until I learn to play it. The piano DOES play the same part over and over, and I will eventually fix this. I'd like some advice on writing for piano if anyone can, but for now ='(

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service