Replies

• very much so. Majority of composing is done without sample libraries. The use of sample libraries is still a relatively new thing to composing. Some good staff paper and piano is all one really needs to compose, libraries and notation software just makes it easier. 

• Vivaldi composed over 600 works during his life with only paper, quill and ink.  And those materials were used sparingly.  By comparison today's composers are spoiled.  Theoretically they can compose great works without knowing how to physically play a single instrument.  If todays tools were available to Tony V, he could well have written over 6000 pieces.  I personally don't care for the idea of sampling for the purpose of recording and releasing a song for profit, but I guess it's ok for getting a better sense of how a newly composed piece will sound with real instruments.

• Yes, i think so. It would be twice to triple as hard as it is right at the moment (because of sample libs), but yes, definitely.

Sometimes it's even better not to use the computer because the music comes in on a more natural way, than it does on a notation program.

• One has his own tools and ways in composing. Its all about those little things one do while composing. So you can use computer or ignore it. Your choice.

Every composers lived or living, have always used all the latest tools available to them at their time, with a discretion of what is good for them and what is not. So using computer is not a thing that you should feel guilt about if you are producing good results with one.

Personally i want to live without a computer but if i need to make money out of composing i need one. So i respect computer and sample libraries! 

• If you have a pencil, a blank sheet of notation paper, and the ability to put something on that blank sheet, you are a composer.

• A composer is someone who writes music. What do you mean by commercial success?

~Rodney

Raymond Kemp said:

Please qualify your definition of the term composer.
    If you wish to have commercial success in creating music including sound design the answer would be no.
  • Why a piano? Some of my most inspired moments have come from the bell of a flugelhorn or the reverberation of a djembe.

Bob Porter said:

If I had to rely on a piano and pencil and paper, I would never write anything. Besides, a good piano costs way more than a computer and software.

Could You Still Be a Composer without...
    Could you still be a composer without the use of sample libraries? ~Rod

• Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Why a piano? Some of my most inspired moments have come from the bell of a flugelhorn or the reverberation of a djembe.

There's no contradiction. You need to have heard a flugelhorn before you can write a piece for it sitting at your piano. 

Could You Still Be a Composer without...
    Could you still be a composer without the use of sample libraries? ~Rod
  • I sat down the other night at an old desk to write.  I wrote out a theme by hand with a pen on a sheet of blank staff paper.  I used a cheap yard sale Casio electronic keyboard to compose and I was very happy with the results.  I'm going to finish this piece on paper.  No computer.  I think it's a good thing to get away from the computer once in a while so you don't forget the real craft of composing the old fashioned way.

• I joined this forum once before because I thought it would provide me with constructive criticism from more experienced composer/songwriters that would help me better my own pieces and MAYBE they might learn even a little something from me.  I ended up quitting it because that constructive criticism turned into (from some people anyway) just a barrage of destructive insults from stuck-up high brow "composers" who are more about money making than music making while others act like your piece isn't near as good as it would be had they written it themselves.

I decided to give it another shot and so far it's been better.  I'm completely open to honest constructive criticism.  If I post a piece it's because I lie it and I feel that it's at least good enough to give a listen.  I don't expect everyone (or even anyone for that matter) to "like" it.  I honestly don't "like" everything I hear either and my comments on pieces are not technically in depth, but I don't insult or make it seem like their piece wasn't worth the listen.

Some people I think need to back up a few years (or decades) and remember when they knew nothing about theory or composition but rather enjoyed listening to a piece of music just because they "liked" it, even if they couldn't explain exactly why.

I won't be quitting this forum this time, but I'll try not to waste anyone's precious time.  It's Thanksgiving Day here in America so Happy Thanksgiving to those who that matters to.  I'm thankful for music and that I'm able to do more with it than just listen.  Peace.

This reply was deleted.