Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

this is a very minimalistic piece that I would like to share. It is quite long so you need some stamina for listening. The idea is to produce a "constellation" of single sounds and to explore their relationships in time. Everything else (like motifs etc.) is omitted.

Here is the link:

https://musescore.com/user/32556702/scores/6290735

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stamina??

Ok, vitamin pills at the ready and Commando training 50 push-ups just to test if I was up for it! but I listened to it late last night, totally flaked out by the heat so I was (let's get dramatic!) just a vehicle through which it passed leaving what impression it would.

I'm a part time fan of minimalism and have often absorbed myself in it inter alia to wipe down the aural slate, so to speak. 

So, about the music. Yes, it's good and so well crafted. You'd need to be a fan of this style to appreciate the subtleties which make it what it is. I noticed many. I suppose the most striking one at first was the time relationship between horn and cello. 

Also of note is the gradual withdrawal of instruments towards the end mirroring the opening, around bar 280 with the disappearance of the horn, next the piano.

Although sounding nothing like it, it reminded me of Louis Andriessen's Hoketus in the way it evolved. It would need an ensemble of the same quality to perform it live to preserve the score's integrity.

If it seems monotonous to some it's probably because they aren't accustomed to the style. To me it was fine - not something I'd listen to every day but it's there if needed, as is my small Andriessen/ Nyman collection.

Well done. Thank you.

Dane.

Dane- "If it seems monotonous to some it's probably because they aren't accustomed to the style. To me it was fine - not something I'd listen to every day but it's there if needed, as is my small Andriessen/ Nyman collection."

TBH I didn't connect with it. I guess I would fit into the category Dane mentions above. It reminded me of a clock mechanism which outside of any context wasn't anything I related to musically. 

You might like KINETIC METAL which combines many mechanical sounds within a musical context.

Hi Dane,

great comment as always, thank you for the helpful reference to Andriessen and Hoketus. Yes I agree, the time difference between horn and cello is very significant. It is certainly nothing you can listen to all the time. But monotonous it is not.

Regards,

Jan

Hi Timothy,

I agree it is quite a challenge to listen to and nothing for each and every listener. For sure your metaphor is not wrong, as the music has some mechanical atmosphere around it.

Thank you.

Jan

Timothy Smith said:

Dane- "If it seems monotonous to some it's probably because they aren't accustomed to the style. To me it was fine - not something I'd listen to every day but it's there if needed, as is my small Andriessen/ Nyman collection."

TBH I didn't connect with it. I guess I would fit into the category Dane mentions above. It reminded me of a clock mechanism which outside of any context wasn't anything I related to musically. 

You might like KINETIC METAL which combines many mechanical sounds within a musical context.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service