Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I've found that continuously writing atonal music is a bit wearying. So I turned to something light. Sort of in the Leroy Anderson vein.

I was starting to lose touch with diatonic harmony which I'd like to keep - keys and scales - so this is a catch up. 

Just a short, 3 minute movement using a small orchestra - flute oboe clarinet bassoon 2 horns trombone timps (the player also bashes a cymbal somewhere) a small string orchestra.

It gave me a chance to try out a high trumpet and the 'humanising' (intonation) thing on my player so if the trumpet seems a bit off on a couple of notes, that's why.

Comments are always welcome and gratefully received, and thank you if you can give it a listen!

Views: 142

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really wonderful and buoyant!   Beautifully balanced ensemble writing.  I liked your sense of harmonic movement.

I felt the cadenza to be perfectly placed and the right length.  I only wished that when you returned to the main theme - as you put a little accelerando, which was an added excitement, that it could have gone on a bit farther - maybe 15 or 20 seconds.

Great work, Dane.  Thanks for posting.

Charming... It would go well with a heart warming Disney classical as well, back then it was more classical than pure sound design of these days on media. This is chamber music and I'd love to listen to it live cause I feel it would really shine if performed live in a small theater.

Intonation error setting?! Is there an “amateur players” button. I must get one. LOL.

Dane Aubrun said:

There. Changed it. Cuts about 10 seconds off the piece as well.

Also raised the intonation 'error' amount. A little more exaggerated but hopefully a better demo of that feature.

Please excuse me combining replies in a single post – otherwise the topic will get unnecessarily long.

Sincere thanks to those who listened and have commented so generously. I’m complimented indeed.

Liz….Ah, that quotation. It was from Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto #2 for trumpet. I couldn’t help but quote that fragment! What came from it was that this VST trumpet is pretty nifty and can manage fast repeated notes.

gregorio_X

Glad it made sense and you liked it. I suppose I could extend the coda just a little. The main tune will have been repeated quite a lot by then so I was concerned about overdoing it!

8Rivers

Many thanks. I’ve thought of re-running it for a standard C or Bb trumpet an octave lower for a local orchestra. I’ll talk to people once they’re allowed to start rehearsing again. They actually like to pop in a number or two from local composers.

Michael

It isn't called an 'amateur' button but it's there and seems quite good. I've got it set to "good amateur" though I can adjust the amount and timing of getting it into tune. Each note is treated differently according to random patterns. I didn't want to make it sound awful - like me playing the viola!

Again, thank you all and your comments have been much appreciated and encouraging. 

Best wishes,

Dane

Viola players of the world unite!

Dane Aubrun said 

Michael

I didn't want to make it sound awful - like me playing the viola!

Again, thank you all and your comments have been much appreciated and encouraging. 

Best wishes,

Dane

Wow. Loved it. Excellent. I wondered how you would compose outside of the atonality. .  I was not disappointed!  Keep it up.  This was fun to listen to.  I love it.  I listened several times.  Great work. Hope to hear more.  :)

Hi there,

Thank you for listening and your kind comments. Glad it was fun because it was time I wrote something cheerful!

Your words are much appreciated.

I'm not sure how I define my 'other' stuff. It probably sounds atonal but it pays much respect to tonality (or let's say concord) in patches. It's surprising how often I turn to CPP (internally) for an opinion or help. Through composed usually, I'm uneasy about too frequent a cadence so adjust the harmony to avoid it. I've called it 'controlled atonality' because seriously, everything is measured out, the notes, the timing of phrases/episodes and on. An acquaintance calls it postmodern - a term I've never understood. When I hear it my bullometer flashes red!

For sure, atonal or whatever to call it, it's far more tiring and difficult than writing diatonic! 

Again, thank you. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service