computer specifications=?

I know I've been outdated a bit with technology, since majority of the work I do is by hand and ear, and then I transfer music on a really old computer. I decided it is time to buy new one, but since I have to move around a lot I was thinking of buying a laptop.

So, here is my question (since I've never had one and doesn't know anybody to ask), what specifications should I look when buying a laptop if I mainly want to use it to write down, record and make music (using Sibelius, Cubase etc.)? And are there any labels that are better then others?

I really don't know what to look in a computer, so I would be really grateful for any advice!

Thx in advance :)

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ursula,

you don't need that much RAM... I am use sometimes my old, ancient computer (512mb RAM, 1.4 AMD Athlon processor)and Sibelius 6 works really fine on it. I don't have any problem even on that configuration... Cubase is much more complicated, and requires as many RAM as you can add. For Sibelius 6 per example, you can take any laptop with 2GB RAM, it will be just fine. Hope this helps!

• Ram is cheap. There is no reason to not have plenty of it. 8gbs is the norm in new pc rigs sold here, I'm guessing that in a year from now that will become 16gbs.  

Milan Arandjelovic said:

Ursula,

you don't need that much RAM... I am use sometimes my old, ancient computer (512mb RAM, 1.4 AMD Athlon processor)and Sibelius 6 works really fine on it. I don't have any problem even on that configuration... Cubase is much more complicated, and requires as many RAM as you can add. For Sibelius 6 per example, you can take any laptop with 2GB RAM, it will be just fine. Hope this helps!

I know I've been outdated a bit with technology, since majority of the work I do is by hand and ear, and then I transfer music on a really old comput…
  • Ain't that the truth.

I was sorting through old gear to throw away and came across an old external HD I use to have connected with a scsi cable to an old sampler. Shows how old I am but when I bought it it cost me over £300 and it held a whopping great 30 GB!  Oh yeah and it was big and heavy. I've recently bought Seagate Go Flex which is light as a feather holds 1TB and cost me under £100. 

The sampler btw was an Akai 3000 and when fully expanded had a memory of 16 meg. Hahahaha- that's almost enough to hold 4 photos from my phone.

Spiros Makris said:

Ram is cheap. There is no reason to not have plenty of it. 8gbs is the norm in new pc rigs sold here, I'm guessing that in a year from now that will become 16gbs.  

Milan Arandjelovic said:

Ursula,

I know I've been outdated a bit with technology, since majority of the work I do is by hand and ear, and then I transfer music on a really old comput…
  • prizes indeed change! :)

This reply was deleted.