Composition- Twilight Breeze

I have been trying to up my game some by combining video or pics I take to my original music, that is, when I have the time to do it. I took these pictures of my local area in Lancaster County, PA a few weeks back. 

Originally I tried to make a brand new composition and realized I lacked the time to get it all together in time, so I used a newish composition of mine that fits the video well. The compo I was working on still sits on my hard drive with a few guitar tracks partially mixed. I came back to it the next day and decided it was a no go for this project. Not sure if I'll flesh it out or start something new.

https://youtu.be/Pkvkx_Ur8oU

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Timothy, 

I had two reactions when I listened: this is perfectly fine and stands as is. The recording is polished and professional and the piece has a country/folk vibe that works quite well. My second rection: it has the feel of being a background track to something else. If you decide you want to develop any more on it, I would suggest adding more melody would be a route worth exploring. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

• Thank you Gav. I certainly see your point here concerning the melody. I kind of felt similar in that I felt it was missing something. Has a predictable way about it that seems to work best as a background track as it is. Not enough focus if that makes any sense.

• Hi Timothy. I just love the warm, bright sound that you've achieved with this. It evokes thoughts of the countryside very well. I feel that the timing of the guitar is a little shaky at times and could do with a bit more attention. I also wanted the music to "go somewhere else" at some point because although your musical ideas are strong the overall composition seemed to be very much on one level after a while for a piece of this length. I'd like to know how you achieved that overall mix though. It's very impressive.

• Thank you Neil! You have a good ear. I mixed this one on my old favorite DAW Cakewalk. My process is usually to lay down a foundation track...in this case guitars recorded to a pair of LDC mics. I have since started using SDC mics for acoustic instrumental work. They filter out some of the boom associated with recording in a smaller space. I using two mics because I can get a spacial stereo effect when I pan the tracks and add reverb to the mix. I use a reverb bus so I can control how much reverb goes to each track.

Later I added the vst flute, a Precision Sound Celtic whistle. Small amounts of squeeze box and some ambient sound background sounds were added after that. 

• Thanks Timothy. That's really useful info. If I can get anywhere near your sound I'll be happy.

Timothy Smith said:

Thank you Neil! You have a good ear. I mixed this one on my old favorite DAW Cakewalk. My process is usually to lay down a foundation track...in this case guitars recorded to a pair of LDC mics. I have since started using SDC mics for acoustic instrumental work. They filter out some of the boom associated with recording in a smaller space. I using two mics because I can get a spacial stereo effect when I pan the tracks and add reverb to the mix. I use a reverb bus so I can control how much reverb goes to each track.

Later I added the vst flute, a Precision Sound Celtic whistle. Small amounts of squeeze box and some ambient sound background sounds were added after that. 

Composition- Twilight Breeze
    I have been trying to up my game some by combining video or pics I take to my original music, that is, when I have the time to do it. I took these pi…
  • love the name! The volume of the guitar seems to be competing with the flute/wind instrument a bit though

This reply was deleted.