Composition Contest Proposal: Romanticism

I recently ran a composition contest which I very much enjoyed and would like to try another. Please let me know if you would have interest in participating in a composition contest: "Best Romantic Era-style Composition." If there is interest from at least 5 composers, I will do it.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Count me in :)

• Ok, we've got three in, if we can get two more by Friday 5 pm EST it's a go!

• As the consensus (?) appears to be for any number of instruments, how about changing the time-length of the piece to be between 4 and 8 minutes?

4 minutes is rather restrictive in Romantic-Era compositions (and particularly symphonic works - look at the movement lengths for the Mahler or Bruckner symphonies, or the symphonic poems of Richard Strauss).

• That's why I said between 4 and 8 minutes. The contestant can then choose.

As to -  'folks here have to listen to these pieces' -  Assuming there won't be more than 5 entrants, that would mean the total listening time is between 20 and 40 minutes.  As we have recently seen, some folks must have spent that much time writing their 'War and Peace' length replies to the topic on Tonality/Atonality .

Bob Porter said:

The movements of a Mendelssohn string quartet are also very long. I guess there need to be some limits somewhere. Or, considering what the Romantic era was about, do there? To write something longer than 4 minutes becomes a major undertaking. And let's remember folks here have to listen to these pieces. David, your piece will be wonderful, but I fear for mine, though not enough to not write one. And there seems to be no long distracting thread now. Well I'm torn. Do we want an instrument and time constraint? This seems logical and practical. Or do we just go for it. This could be fun, but scary. I'll try either. How non-committal of me.

• How about we compromise on the time. 2 to 8 minutes. I am still open to leaving the instrumentation open.

• That's fine by me

Gav Brown said:

How about we compromise on the time. 2 to 8 minutes. I am still open to leaving the instrumentation open.

Composition Contest Proposal: Romanticism
    I recently ran a composition contest which I very much enjoyed and would like to try another. Please let me know if you would have interest in partic…
  • Hi Gav, I am interested to join too. Thanks for the initiative.

• With Andrew signing up, we now have 4 commits. If we can get one more by Friday 5 pm EST, it's a go

• 2 to 8 minutes is OK with me. This includes the 4 minutes option as well.

• Even though I never win,  you can always count me   IN  !!!

I have 24 measures written already.

This reply was deleted.