Replies

• ... Or does anyone have recommendations of pieces/ composers to listen to?
  • I have worked very limited with quarter tones on flute and sax, however not with clarinet. This site might help you get started with quartertones for clarinet:

http://www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/~ahugill/manual/clarinet/extended.html

As far as pieces, the first one that comes to mind is Charles Ives 3 Quarter Tone pieces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJPnUZhETg

• Scala seems to be the software Ive heard most mentioned in conjunction with this--

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

"Scala is a powerful software tool for experimentation with musical tunings, such as just intonation scales, equal and historical temperaments, microtonal and macrotonal scales, and non-Western scales. It supports scale creation, editing, comparison, analysis, storage, tuning of electronic instruments, and MIDI file generation and tuning conversion. All this is integrated into a single application with a wide variety of mathematical routines and scale creation methods. Scala is ideal for the exploration of tunings and becoming familiar with the concepts involved. In addition, a very large library of scales is freely available for Scala and can be used for analysis or music creation........."

Bob Morabito

Scala Home Page
    Scala is a powerful software tool for experimentation with musical tunings, temperaments, scales, just intonation and microtonality
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Tyler- Thanks for the Ives link, I've heard of the pieces, but haven't had time to sit down and listen to them- I'll give that a shot tomorrow. As for the clarinet resource, my girlfriend's a clarinetist, so my question wasn't so much how to compose quartertones for clarinet, but if there were any voice-leadings/ modes/ intervals that are particular to the scale, that can be used in composing.

Bob- I've used scala before, but find to be generally sluggish, especially because it's impossible to play the same note a quartertone apart. For example, if you relay the MIDI signals from scala into Kontakt, and try to play C and C 1/4 sharp, the program uses the same note 'C', one modified with a pitch bend, which ends up effecting both notes. I've used Akoustic piano, which has a quartertone piano built in, and Omnisphere which has a whole bunch of alternate tunings, as well as awesome synth patches.

Thanks again!

K

• Hi Kyle-

Ive never tried Scala before--but have heard of it/read about it repeatedly thru the years..and in all honesty , this is the first time Ive ever heard something bad about it.

Good luck wth your project:)

Bob

• Hi Kyle,

I was experimenting with quarter-tones with Notion 3. It works very fine - even instruments with fixed pitches like the piano can play quarter tones! Hope you'll post some work. There's a composer Haba who's work may be interesting for you.

Rudi

• You're welcome, Kristofer.
This reply was deleted.