Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

YOUR VOTE REQUESTED!! Voting in this contest is open to all members. Please listen to all the entries in this contest and vote on your top 3. The deadline to vote is 1/23/21 at 5 pm EST!

VOTE HERE

Views: 1067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Composers Revealed (post 1 of 3)

01 Martin Slater - Green Meadows
02 Ted Vanya - Gold
03 Marcus Tristan - Green Demon Nebula
04 George Abbott - RED Action
05 Saul Gefen - Midnight Blue
06 Michael Lofting - Prelude for Winds (Yellow)
07 Mikael Sondered - Blue-Green
08 Niela Miller - Sweet Blues
09 1 Ray Kohn - Black Mood
09 2 Ray Kohn - Red Rondeau
10 Richard Irwin - For Every Blade Of Bright Green Grass
11 Nancy Tucker - Mudpies (Black)
12 Fabio Biolcati - Celeste (Light Blue)
13 Jos Wylin - 6 Tones of Blue
14 Jörfi Terríson - Argentea (Silver)
15 Irina Narkevitch - Christmas Eve (White-Blue))
16 Douglas Locke - Beyond the Gates (Purple)
17 Tillmann Jacobi - Sergei sees RED

(Next: The Winners!)

The Winners (post 2 of 3)

(for each #1 vote, entrants got 3 points, for each #2 vote, 2 points, for each #3 vote, 1 point)

FIRST PLACE: 05 Saul Gefen - Midnight Blue (24 points)
SECOND PLACE: 13 Jos Wylin - 6 Tones of Blue (18 points)
THIRD PLACE: 03 Marcus Tristan - Green Demon Nebula (15 points)

CONGRATULATIONS!! Winners will be contacted soon about their prizes (merchandise from the forum store

===Others

04 George Abbott - RED Action (12 points)
07 Mikael Sondered - Blue-Green (11 points)
11 Nancy Tucker - Mudpies (9 points)
12 Fabio Biolcati - Celeste (Light Blue) (9 points)
02 Ted Vanya - Gold (9 points)
16 Douglas Locke - Beyond the Gates (Purple) (8 points)
14 Jörfi Terríson - Argentea (Silver) (7 points)
01 Martin Slater - Green Meadows (6 points)
06 Michael Lofting - Prelude for Winds (Yellow) (6 points)
15 Irina Narkevitch - Christmas Eve (White-Blue) (5 points)
09 2 Ray Kohn - Red Rondeau (4 points)
08 Niela Miller - Sweet Blues (3 points)
17 Tillmann Jacobi - Sergei sees RED (1 point)
09 1 Ray Kohn - Black Mood (no points)
10 Richard Irwin - For Every Blade Of Bright Green Grass (no points)

(Next: The Comments)

The Comments (last post)

01 Martin Slater - Green Meadows
-no comments

02 Ted Vanya - Gold
(voted for you for #1: "The problem with this is that I am the violinist who composed this work and its aggression still "outguns" all the other works I have heard (except, perhaps 9.1 - but that is too close to Kurt Weil to vote for) and our current situation makes me want to reach for that gun as our supposed "leaders" destroy the lives of so many of us.")

03 Marcus Tristan - Green Demon Nebula
(voted for you for #1: "Exquisitely descriptive and certainly the most creative.") (voted for you for #3: "Hard to choose between this and #14. Eventually, I opt for this to give a chance — and acknowledgment— to an orchestral piece expressing itself in a different language.") (voted for you for #3: "I did not "like" this piece but felt it was worth listening to more than once or twice as it revealed itself with repeated hearings.") (voted for you for #3: "Ambitious and impressive, tjere is no doubt that it has been crafted skillfully. However, to be honest, it actually is a bit nebulous to me and not terribly accessbile (and will it ever have a chance to actually be performed, ever...?) - but, nevertheless, there was no doubt that it needed to get a vote for one of the top three.")

04 George Abbott - RED Action
(voted for you for #2: "Interesting frenzy of tempo and colour. Mix of instrumentation taking lead. Good use of percussion.")

05 Saul Gefen - Midnight Blue
(voted for you for #1: "Beautiful chord and key changes.") (voted for you for #1: "I could hazard a guess who composes this but won't!") (voted for you for #1: "Reflective with some development") (voted for you for #1: "a lovely piece that really evoked the title color") (voted for you for #2: "Really captures the colour blue well")

06 Michael Lofting - Prelude for Winds (Yellow)
(voted for you for #1: "Interesting, funny, very much playable (so, not just for the drawer, but for a real performance), in my view well constructed.")

07 Mikael Sondered - Blue-Green
-no comments

08 Niela Miller - Sweet Blues
(voted for you for #1: "Surprises in the chord structures and produces an emotional response of tenderness and poignancy.")

09 1 Ray Kohn - Black Mood
-no comments

09 2 Ray Kohn - Red Rondeau
(voted for you for #3: "Quite witty!")

10 Richard Irwin - For Every Blade Of Bright Green Grass
-no comments

11 Nancy Tucker - Mudpies (Black)
(voted for you for #2: "Great energy") (voted for you for #2: "Inventive and good fun")

12 Fabio Biolcati - Celeste (Light Blue)
(voted for you for #2: "The composition describes enormously well it's intention (heavenly) and is skillfully orchestrated.") (voted for you for #2: "Lovely mood, rich tonalities") (voted for you for #3: "Nice intro and mix of instrumentation interplay. Variable timing interludes.")

13 Jos Wylin - 6 Tones of Blue
(voted for you for #1: "Fine, delicate composition in a surprising modest arrangement; well recorded in a subtle close ambience. It's very intimate and direct.") (voted for you for #2: "Beautiful composition and elegantly crafted")

14 Jörfi Terríson - Argentea (Silver)
(voted for you for #3: "Very rich composition in construction and harmony.") (voted for you for #3: "Possibly the best representation of a colour, evocative and beautiful.") (voted for you for #3: "Thoughtful, reflective")

15 Irina Narkevitch - Christmas Eve (White-Blue)
(voted for you for #1: "To me, the most color-wise of the bunch.")

16 Douglas Locke - Beyond the Gates (Purple)
(voted for you for #1: "Good interplay of instruments. Light and dark contrast. Keeps interest.") (voted for you for #2: "I love the slightly occluded sensations created in this piece. It suggests more is happening that you cannot hear or see.") (voted for you for #3: "Exciting to listen to!")

17 Tillmann Jacobi - Sergei sees RED
-no comments

Well, this was not expected...

Thanks,

Well deserved Saul!

Hey, I believe I got all the winners right this time, which is a kind of an achievement in itself, so to say.

Also, I am pleaesed to have managed to not come last, by scoring one point (thanks to whoever gave that to me...!). ;-)

The tinny sound for string instruments of my old version of Sibelius makes the listening to "Sergei sees RED" probably a lot more difficult / worse than it would be in a life performance. Real instruments and people would also enable a little rubato / glissando in parts, which is, unfortunately, completely lost here. Perhaps I will manage to record it new and post it here, for some more feedback.  

@Jos Wylin: which program / sounds are you using? The sounds are really good and natural - I almost thougth at first that this was played life.

P.S.: Thanks again Gav for setting this up!

Let me congratulate with winners and all participants.

It was really hard for me to choose between entries as they were all good in their own style. Even the most unortohdox, as Marcus' “Nebula”, or the Leo Kottke-ish “Mudpie” from Nancy.

I'm proud of being on par with long-time friend Ted Vanya and the author of work I liked the most, Irina Narkevitch.

Thank you Gav for the opportunity: contest deadlines forces me to have a purpose in writing, other than wasting time.
And thanks to Mr. Jos Wylin for his help at mixing stage (compliments are well deserved for his craftmanship).

Cheers

Thank You Tillerich and Fabio!

Saul, I don't know if you received my message of congratulations - sending messages here is a bit of a weird ritual - if not, congratulations...and it didn't need a Philadelphia lawyer to tell me who composer the work in question!!

Thank You Dane!

No I didn't receive the message, but Thanks Anyways! Yes I figured some people will know because of the piano and style...

Best Wishes!

Congratulations to all the participants of the contest, but most of all to Gav who organizes and manages this beautiful opportunity. It challenges us to write music at our best ability. Of course I'm glad to get a prize, although a large number of the CF-members could stand in my place.

@ Saul Gefen: you're the absolute winner here and your work deserves a special merit.

@ Tillerich: to answer your question: the used instruments are only VSL (full libraries). The reverb is very limited and created by a little hybrid reverb from the Vienna Suite (IR: Mozartsaal). The most important thing to deal with is the use of the correct playing technique or articulation for every note or passage, together with a detailed automation (expression, velocity XF, attack, release...) to make it sound realistic. That is quite time consuming... In my case mostly 3 to 4 times the duration of the composition. But is is rewarding in itself, thus obtaining a decent result.

Thanks Gav for the wonderful opportunity!

Jos

Thanks, Jos. I wonder if you don't mind a follow-on question and if you would share how long it actually took you to write the piece (plus the extra time to then get the sound right in the detail you described)?

To be honest, I have got not idea at all regarding the potential dimensions that may be usual or normal for pros or semi-pros, like you are.

However, I can declare my own effort here, with a sense of taking a good risk of properly embarrassing myself: putting together "Sergei sees Red" needed probably something like eight hours (!!) net time, or, actually, even longer. 

This was, to some degree, for technical reasons (some ongoing struggles with handling my old Sibelius 6 program), but also for reasons of being challenged by handling the material (even getting a real grasp of the original parts as the basis of the piece). This may be, overall, regarded as a very poor ratio of time investment and outcome (both in quantity and quality) - even though I personally now quite like the result.

Saul's work sounds as if it was almost put together without effort - and he may have improvised large parts of it within minutes - but then he and you, Jos, certainly have a massive amount of experience on top of a solid base of musical understanding and knowledge.

Thank you Jos!

Congratulations for winning second place and also for Marcus winning third place. A big thanks to all other participants, all have contributed worthy and beautiful music. Last but not least, Thanks to Gav for organizing this project.

Best Wishes

Jos Wylin said:

Congratulations to all the participants of the contest, but most of all to Gav who organizes and manages this beautiful opportunity. It challenges us to write music at our best ability. Of course I'm glad to get a prize, although a large number of the CF-members could stand in my place.

@ Saul Gefen: you're the absolute winner here and your work deserves a special merit.

@ Tillerich: to answer your question: the used instruments are only VSL (full libraries). The reverb is very limited and created by a little hybrid reverb from the Vienna Suite (IR: Mozartsaal). The most important thing to deal with is the use of the correct playing technique or articulation for every note or passage, together with a detailed automation (expression, velocity XF, attack, release...) to make it sound realistic. That is quite time consuming... In my case mostly 3 to 4 times the duration of the composition. But is is rewarding in itself, thus obtaining a decent result.

Thanks Gav for the wonderful opportunity!

Jos

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service