Written 18 months ago. In the time since I’ve attempted to convert it to VSL – without success. Samples here are ancient but I can’t get the effect I want with VSL. Why? I don’t know. So I’d leave it as it is except for some pizz stuff near the end which I may cut out.

It’s one I’d like to submit to our County orchestra so my question is, does it sound adequate as a mock-up?

I’d be truly appreciative of any comment, good or bad. It’s slow, ruminative; and if you think it’s boring don’t be afraid to say. Sooner here than people afterwards glancing heavenward should it be performed!

Many thanks. 

NOTE: THANKS TO SOME PERCEPTIVE COMMENTS I REVISED THE ENDING. IF INCLINED TO LISTEN, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS REVISED EDITION.

https://soundcloud.com/acitore/clouds-version-2

Instead of this one. Thank you. :)

https://soundcloud.com/acitore/clouds-landscapes

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dane,

Not boring at all.

But here's something to think about. As a sonic representation of a visual experience, I get it. Clouds drifting by. It just kind of ends. I don't mind the non-dominant ending. But as a piece of music, I might build up volume and motion to some kind of climax. Then slowly fade into the distance. I know that's the traditionalist in me. Music can just sit there, or it can take us on a journey, It can muddle around, or it can massage us into an elevated state of existence.

But I see no reason not to hand it to your orchestra. 

As to the your sounds? I had no problem at all. Perhaps a composer is doomed to never liking whatever rendition his software spits out. Real players might not get it quite right either. Such is the path we've chosen.

• I agree with Bob here Dane. VSL has spoiled you, I'd love to get a mock-up of this quality, what library is that?

Now if your County Orchestra is into Strauss waltzes and Beatles tunes you may have a problem, but this piece should be fine for a contemporary tolerant audience. The ending is too abrupt for me however.

• Definitely not boring.. Infact quite engaging in several parts. I have to agree with the other commenters regarding the ending being too abrupt. Maybe that was intentional, but still doesn't seem to work well for me.

The piece reminded me a bit of "Piccola musica notturna" by Luigi Dallapiccola , even though that's for a smaller ensemble. Overall, a very atmosheric piece !

• Thank you all for these kind comments - and for listening through.

It does seem that the ending is a problem. I must admit to liking Bob's idea of letting it drift off into the sunset (so to speak), but even if I kept the existing ending I reckon it's best to prune it right back to the 5 minute mark and rework it, possibly tacking on the reprise of that tuneful bit and fading out from there. It would seem a fitting ending.

I won't hide feeling that most of the last 25 seconds or so seemed to drag - basically too sustained. Pruning seems the way. Pleasing though that the atonality didn't drive you away.

So I'm most grateful for these comments and thank you again. Most helpful. 

oOo

• Hi Dane

An accomplished piece. When I was listening to this what was mostly going through my mind was nothing to do with clouds or landscapes. I was actually thinking that it would make a great setting for a piece of modern theatrical dance.

Cheers, Colin

• Hi Dane,

Thank you for sharing your music.  It should not have any problem with the average audience I believe.

Because it is meditative and it is not too long.

Freshness can be perceived from the beg to end.  Very nice work.

The title and subject (if I may say) of the work requires a uniform approach.

Contrasts are not used functionally but only as colors to keep the freshness.

I think, do not change this work too much.  It is beautiful.  You may always

write a new one if you like.

All the best.

Ali R+

• Hi Dane

I basically agree with what Bob has said in the first commentary, but I also feel the need to add a few things:

Why have you defined the piece "impressionist"? I sense the visual representation you're giving us is very personal, subjective (swinging thoughts and emotions deriving from the visual experience), therefore expressionist - not that these terms mean very much to me or to the music itself :))
    I would just like to make sure that we are communicating on the same levels.

• BOB. I spent the day looking at revisions to the last couple of minutes and have posted a new version. Thank you and Ingo for the prompt.

INGO: Apologies not answering your question. The samples are "Peter Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra". They must have been the very first full orchestra set: published IIRC in the late 1990s for outboard sampling machines. Looking at my files I must have bought them early 2007 in a Timespace sale at a very reduced price. I think the whole set cost £50. They were better than nothing. But, oh boy, did they need some work?! to get them uniform. etc. When I got Reaper, I loaded them into its Samplomatic, trimmed them a bit more and things. 

The problem is that each articulation needs a separate track - not too bad in Reaper as they can all be collated into the same editor, selecting the instrument to edit. Could be worse! 

• Many thanks for your kind comments. Pleased that you liked it.

:)

Ali Riza SARAL said:

Hi Dane,

Thank you for sharing your music.  It should not have any problem with the average audience I believe.

Because it is meditative and it is not too long.

Freshness can be perceived from the beg to end.  Very nice work.

The title and subject (if I may say) of the work requires a uniform approach.

Contrasts are not used functionally but only as colors to keep the freshness.

I think, do not change this work too much.  It is beautiful.  You may always

write a new one if you like.

All the best.

Ali R+

Clouds - impressionist piece for small orchestra.
    Written 18 months ago. In the time since I’ve attempted to convert it to VSL – without success. Samples here are ancient but I can’t get the effect I…
  • Thank you, Colin. Most appreciated.

It comes as no surprise really. I sometimes think contemporary dance, being a huge fan of the (sadly) deceased Merce Cunningham inter alia. His Pond Life is one of the most beautiful physical spectacles I've seen. It was recorded and issued briefly. So I can take up from you how it might be choreographed. I'm humbly complimented indeed.

:)

Colin Dougall said:

Hi Dane

An accomplished piece. When I was listening to this what was mostly going through my mind was nothing to do with clouds or landscapes. I was actually thinking that it would make a great setting for a piece of modern theatrical dance.

Cheers, Colin

Clouds - impressionist piece for small orchestra.
    Written 18 months ago. In the time since I’ve attempted to convert it to VSL – without success. Samples here are ancient but I can’t get the effect I…
This reply was deleted.