Hi Everyone,

this is a short orchestral piece i made a while ago. The image i had in mind was a group of kids, waiting for the end of their lesson and then running out of the building, laughing and playing around. Or something like that. ;)

Since i am not a professional i would really appreciate any advices or suggestions about the mix, instrumentation and arrangement.

I used Cubase Artist, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and Hollywood Strings for this.

Somehow i could not get the legato patches sound more natural, so if anyone has some experience with this, i would be glad for any advice.

Thanks for listening!

Best regards

Georg Racz

Class Dismissed.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The orchestration is good Georg and the music has a spark that I enjoyed. However, there is a transition around the 23- second mark that seemed abrupt and needs some smoothing over. Keep working on it!

• Nice John Williams-esque "modern movie soundtrack" composition and orchestration -- which I assume is what you wanted to achieve.

As for the transition that someone else mentioned, it feels like you're actually jumping through a brief transition scene and then into a new scene in the movie (such as going from the classroom to a shot of the clock to an outside shot, or from the crew buckling up to a shot of someone pushing buttons to a shot of the spaceship taking off). Seeing/hearing it that way, the transition works OK for me.

I would recommend listening to the last several bars again and thinking about how you want to end this piece. To my ear, it ends on the dominant chord of the key you are in, not the tonic. Maybe that's OK with your larger intentions, but maybe you'll want to consider a change.

• Sounds like very competently written and engaging film music. John Williams, eat your heart out. I'm amazed at the quality of the sounds, which are really quite lifelike. I too was bothered by that transition and also by the ending, which is abrupt, yes. But this would make an excellent sample to send to a film company, assuming you are in search of work.

• Nice work! It definitely sounds like quality film soundtrack music. Have you tried actually scoring to video?

• Thanks for the encouraging feedback!

I am not very happy with the ending too. I got stuck at that point and could not decide where to go with the hole thing. But it might be worth to work this out.

As for the transition that someone else mentioned, it feels like you're actually jumping through a brief transition scene and then into a new scene in the movie (such as going from the classroom to a shot of the clock to an outside shot, or from the crew buckling up to a shot of someone pushing buttons to a shot of the spaceship taking off). Seeing/hearing it that way, the transition works OK for me.

That is what i had in mind. But i admit that it is a little bit too abrupt. I will try to make it more smooth.

Have you tried actually scoring to video?

No, i have never done that before. But i would be a nice challenge.

This reply was deleted.