Hi all,

here it is the link to my OST for Lotte Reiniger's silhouette movie "Cinderella" (1922) for piano, choir and orchestra:

https://vimeo.com/474009119

As just an average self-taught composer, it has definitely been a very challenging work. It took me almost a year to complete it.

I'd be really grateful and honored if you could spend a little time listening to it and sharing your opinion. It will help me to grow as a composer.

Thank you so much in advance.

Gabriele

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Gabriele,

I remember commenting on this when you posted just a part of it. Excellent concept and well executed. The music ties in with the action and timing (spotting) is right on. The composition is fine. Seems to be your style, Romantic with a capital R. It fits the subject.

Here, I have to be careful suffering a slight hearing problem (likely caused by the prolonged winter) so my comments may be suspect! The composition seems fine but the rendering came over a little blurry - too much reverb? and there were times when the balance might have favoured an instrument's entry a little better. It could also be that the instrumentation needs thinning out here and there or the dynamics changing. 

Can I suggest you leave it for a month or two then have another look at the rendering?

There's no shame in being a self-taught composer. To me, all composers end up being self-taught which is about finding their own voice. The trouble with a (pseudo-) professional musical education, to me, is that it encourages the idea that there's usually a fixed answer. It should limit itself to teaching people how to use the tools if anything - the mechanics of composition: CPP; the strengths and weaknesses of various instruments; ear training so a person can convert what's in their head to "paper" (or daw!)

A few private lessons from different teachers might help but intelligent listening and score study are our best teachers. I'm self-taught in spite of attempts to "teach" me at college which I gave up. Beethoven, Sculthorpe, Meale and Lutyens were my best teachers. I never met any of them!

However, back to you,

An accomplished work for which I offer congratulations. 12 minutes? That's no trivial effort. And later on you may decide to change some post-production details in the rendering. Brilliant.

Cheers,

Dane

• Hi Dane,

first of all thank you so much for the time spent listening and commenting. You're right, I should have mentioned I already posted the first few minutes months ago but I was too excited and I totally forgot about it.

As to the reverb, I must say the whole rendering was much more dry at first, but it didn't sound to me as real as after increasing the reverb, which usually help in camouflaging all the little flaws of sound libraries. Anyway, I literally never stop working on my pieces so it's very easy for me to come back and have a second, free-minded listen to it, in a couple of months :))))

Speaking of being a self-taught composer, I actually get what you mean and agree with that, but I'm way below that. I should have said "a self-taught musician", as I didn't receive any formal music education.

I lack of proper education in so many basic aspects that I need many hours in order to compose just few bars at a time, filled with pretty simple/trivial themes, modulations and counterpoint.

I'm also in trouble when it comes to turn my project into a score, as I need to translate some articulations (runs, arpeggiato, etc.), which are provided for free by libraries, in actual notes. It's very frustrating and ashaming and makes me so grateful to those like you who spend time listening to my garbage :)

That's why I thank you so much once again for your comments.

Gabriele

• "As to the reverb, I must say the whole rendering was much more dry at first, but it didn't sound to me as real as after increasing the reverb, which usually help in camouflaging all the little flaws of sound libraries. Anyway, I literally never stop working on my pieces so it's very easy for me to come back and have a second, free-minded listen to it, in a couple of months :))))"

Yes. Well, as I say, I'm suffering a little hearing impairment right now hence my caution about taking any notice of my comments!

Agree that reverb can hide a few sins but may also blur the harmony. However, it is your work and if you're happy with it as it is, that's all that counts. It's altogether accomplisjed and I wish I could write a 12 minute work. I'm useless with melodies though!

.I look forward to listen to more of your work.

Cheers

• Very well written and appropriate to the visual images Gabriele, you sound professional to me.  But as Dane has said the sound of your rendering is not as good as I think it could be.  This could be for a number of reasons and my ears are not good enough to be able to be specific.  Can you tell us what libraries you are using and what other software or DAW you are using, and also the bit values of your rendering?

• Hi Ingo,

thank you so much for listening.

As to the the sound quality, I must say I had to lower it a lot in order to get a mp4 filesize < 500MB, which is the maximum amount I can upload to Vimeo at once.

You can find the lossless audio (44.100Khz/16bit FLAC, no video) here: https://gargoyle.bandcamp.com/track/cinderella-suite-for-lotte-rein...

Here they are the libraries I used in this project:

AudioBro Modern scoring strings

Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds

Cinsamples CineBrass, CincePerc, CineHarp

Spitfire Total Performance Violin

8Dio Requiem Professional

ArtVista Gran Piano 3

Thank you once again.

Gabriele

This reply was deleted.