Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Or is it a myth ?

Did you ever dabble with any drugs and find that your compositions improved ?

I am including all legal and illegal, from caffeine upwards.

Does a cigarette help you to concentrate.

Did you write a great tune while stoned ?

And listen back to it the next day and decide it was garbage ?

Didn't the Beatles' music improve after they discovered weed (Rubber Soul) and LSD (Sgt Pepper etc) ?

Did composers of the classical period get high in German coffee parlours ?

Views: 2703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tombo Rombo said:
For composers with mental illnesses, drugs most likely help them to compose, ya know, prescription drugs like lithium, thorazine, prozac.

Hmmm... i wonder. back when we DIDNT treat mental illnesses in any way... we HAD the great composers. And the great mathematicians... a LOT of which were... well, "different".

Now that we treat them... it seems there's less of them... "normal" is mediocrity. It takes a certain amount of insanity and dedication (OCD? lol) to be the perfectionist required by mathematics and great composers... Look at a famous zany comedian. All that nervous manic energy and cartoon voices. That CANT be normal... If your not killing people and eatign them, i say no medication required,LMAO... history and society will decide who to ignore and who to later worship as geniuses...

its your life. Do what thou wilt with it... yet, you see that chap at the end of the street? The one carrying the sign saying the end is near? The homeless guy? *shrugs* I say let him go with his sign... maybe he'll start a movement for a new religion, i dunno. If he doesnt have any human heads in hsi cardboard box he sleps in, let him go...

i say medicate the politicians, LMAO, they are the crazy ones!!

There are no bad soldiers, only bad leaders.... soldiers perform a sacred duty, of time immemorial. They anser their country;s call, when that call comes. They offer their very LIVES so we can sit here annd post on the internet, snd study music.

Now... if you can do somethign with the political leaders... heck, i dont care fo you HANG them all, and elect homeless people to their posts... ordinary people might do a better job!!
I sometimes forget I am international here... for the record, i DO kind of agree with the

O peration
I raq
L iberation

statement, for what its worth...

I can guaratee you all the men over in the sandbox right now want nothing more than to come home and kiss the wife and kids, and get back to work. That is, if we havent ruined our economy to the point there are no jobs for them, lol

If world pressure can make my "fearless leaders" stop this nonsense, well... have at it...

if another "hitler" ever arises in Europe... you will be d@mned glad you have a military then, ,eh? And you will expect sober professionals takign the fight to the enemy. its like blaming the kid at mccdonalds because you dont like the new french fry taste from he new "low fat" grease... blame the CEO of McDOnalds!!
I see what you mean Sean, but have you ever known somebody with schizophrenia? It is a debilitating illness, it makes it so people sit and stare out the window for hours, can't walk down the street, attempt suicide (and often succeed) become alienated from the people that love them and the rest of the world, the people whom they are responsible for. I doubt a child of a schiophrenics would agree that we should just let them be crazy. If there was a composer who was schizophrenic, there is little chance they would be able to function well enough to write music unless medicated. Mania is a different story, but depression makes people lethargic, I'm sure a happy pill would be helpful if it made people get off their asses and write some damn music!
But look at Hitler's army.

The only reason they took part in evil acts was because they trusted their leader and didn't ask the questions they should have done.

Having found out what the Iraq invasion is all about I would never serve my country in an illegal, immoral invasion where over 100,0000 Iraqis have perished.

I think that it suits them to keep soldiers ignorant. Switch off and carry on shopping etc.

Yeah, we need an army for defence, but at the moment we are the World's Hitler, the World's aggressor and I said that weed and good company can sometimes be a wake up call for the barbarians
perhaps you didnt think of this, but... in WWII the allies and the germans, both sides, were DRAFTED.

you didnt have a choice. You went. There was no choice. Country at war. You go now. There wasn't any discussion. the Vietnam(also a draft) war started the "question the war thing". Now, we have an entire volunteer army. (I dont know how your army is, mines all volunteer)

BUT, drafted or volunteer... you are given an order. You follow the order. period. or you go to jail for years.

You, uhm, you dont discuss the order... you dont decide if its an illegal or an immoral order. You just follow the order.

Discussions are for politicians and women. Men issue orders. other men follow them. period. work gets done this way. Its a novel concept, to me anyways, when...

1) someone is actually in charge. They issue orders.
2) everyone else follows the orders, then stuff gets done.

But, once you TAKE a job, the owner is in charge. your not supposed to wonder if things are being done right, if theres a better way, how it would make more sense or be more fun if... no, the owner is in charge. he issues orders, You follow them.

If YOU want to gve orders, start your own company. If you dont mind followign orders... you work for an owner.

If you want to do your own thing... I dunno, therres other more creative jobs... jobs like, MUSIC! Here, your your own boss. bandmates can, discuss things, and talk about feelings, and processses...

but in the service? meen issue orders. men follow orders, or, people die. HA, you say, people die when the order are followed? Thats by design. If the enemy does not want to die, they can pack up and go home, or quit fighting. Its called victory.

people often dont understand fighting recreationally, nor do they understand countries fighting. really, its normal. Not GOOD, just... "normal". And sadly, though i WISH it were different... no book, song, movie or any other thing will prevent it. It just "is". You have no choice. Its self preservation. Its delf defense. It... just "is".

mice fight in cages, i raised them for my snakes, I know. My CATS fight, and a coupel got driven away. i dont know why. Monkeys dont just fight, they are smarter, and they commit cold blooded murder.

humans fight, just like all the other aninals. WE are aninals.

But... if no one goes to war, when you are attacked... you dont have a country for very long. I always wondered why actors and teachers and musicians and other artists dont love the military... without the military, they couldnt live the life they do.
well, drug wise... i am going to chug the rest of this pot of coffee...

THEN I might even go get a cheap 6 pack.....

THEN I will fool around with the 5/4 time signature that Greg gave me to try...

just... i dunno... try composing straight... then get waxed, and see which is mroe fruitful??

have at it.
I don't know how loyal to the truth, the play/film ''Amadeus'' was, but according to that, Mozart drank an enormous amount. But according to several biographies that I have read, although Beethoven did enjoy the odd drink, he never over-indulged in it because of his memory of the behaviour of his father when he was drunk and the negative effects that it had on people in his surroundings, including himself. It is also clear that he would NEVER drink whilst composing because he claimed that one needed a clear head to be able to do so effectively.

When he became ill with dropsy, he refused to take laundanum (a mixture of opium and alcohol) to kill the pain, until he had resigned himself to the fact that he could compose no more, during the very last days of his life when he was bedridden. By then of course, the pain was so bad, he did succumb to the pain killing effects of laundanum.

These facts coupled with the amount of time it took him over his monumental pieces of work signifies that he must have been a very disciplined composer.

Chris Alpiar said:
OK Guys, lets get this thread back on topic, one of music and the influence of drugs while questionable topic for public consumption, IS the topic at hand. PLEASE leave politics and moral judgement on other forums. First warning. Second will be to lock this thread, after that people will go in the sandbox until we learn how to co-mingle at a forum dedicated to composing issues.

Thanks ya all

- the management

There's also a matter of artistic responsibility. When you're on some kind of drug, you somehow rely on it's effect. Therefore I wouldn't feel entitled to sign the effect of such experiment as my work, even if it was any good.

There was this Polish writer and poet Witkacy, who signed all of his works with his name AND the drug or combination of drugs he was on while writing...

I agree...so let's give these drugs credit where credit's due...

Rubber Soul by the Beatles plus additional vocals and sounds by marijuana

Sgt Peppers by the Beatles plus the help of  LSD

Let's Get it On by Marvin Gaye plus cocaine

anyone think of others?

May I add the Bob Marley, the Wailers and Marijuana discography on the list.

Ignoring the question if drugs help you write more, better, or more easily, it is still you writting. LSD or marijuana won't give you ideas, it is still all in your brain, it is still your ideas. What they do is let you see things in another prespective,confuse your senses, and make you listen and see things and make connections that you wouldn't do otherwise. It's still your eyes and ears though.

I personally don't like to credit my music to drugs because I'd rather be able to say that I composed everything sober.

Not to mention every time I try to write music under the influence of anything, Sibelius isn't so user friendly anymore and I make notation mistakes without really noticing. However, smoking a bowl and then sitting in a room with a recorder doesn't sound like a terrible idea. But anyway, I guess we could all conduct an experiment to test everyone's theories. haha

I am reliably informed that drugs can filter out the BS that often gets in the way of the creative brain - and lets you reach out for ideas from "beyond".

Although this is a controversial subject, all societies have made use of drugs and let's face it, artistic people tend to get the most benefit from their use - if used in moderation it goes without saying.

Remember what happened to Amy Winehouse recently (even though I think she was very overrated and derivative). 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service