This is my latest musical experiment. My friend Zach is just starting out on keyboard, and he doesn't like to play with both white and black keys. This song is both written for and dedicated to one of my oldest friends.

This song inevitably took on the pentatonic scale because, as we all know, only 5 of the 12 notes in a keyboard octave are the black keys. I also wanted to write this song in 5/8 because I love that time meter. I found it a happy coincidence that a song written with 5 downbeats per bar also only has 5 different notes. What are the odds?

This is my single longest keyboard song to date. About 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHYuSj-Hzjw&feature=youtu.be

Black Keys for Zachary.pdf

black keys for zach v3.mid

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why does the audio sound like it was recorded in a snow storm?

• You'll have to excuse the static. My soundcard is not that good. x.x

Jonas Aras said:

Why does the audio sound like it was recorded in a snow storm?

"Black Keys for Zachary" for Piano in D-Sharp Pentatonic
    This is my latest musical experiment. My friend Zach is just starting out on keyboard, and he doesn't like to play with both white and black keys. Th…
  • Here's an MP3 that I created from your MIDI file.

BlackKeys.mp3

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8608092869?profile=original
  • Nice piece, Noah. I've never thought of using black keys only for piano composition like this before. I might try this later. :)

• :o You just became my new hero. I LOVE this mp3! Thank you so much. ^^

Jonas Aras said:

Here's an MP3 that I created from your MIDI file.

"Black Keys for Zachary" for Piano in D-Sharp Pentatonic
    This is my latest musical experiment. My friend Zach is just starting out on keyboard, and he doesn't like to play with both white and black keys. Th…
This reply was deleted.