Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is on my home page here, but because there is a brief pause between the second and third sections, someone could easily think it was over when the pause occurs. So I wanted to make sure people could hear the whole thing (especially because the best part comes in the third section).

So, it's a lullaby, obviously. That's the first section. The second section is about flight, however you may want to conceive that (personally, I only fly in my dreams). The third section, well, if you think of the beginning as the landing lights of the airport blinking, and the traffic controller barking out instructions (on the bassoon perhaps?), that might work. But it's of course whatever you feel it to be. In any case I wish you pleasant dreams.

https://app.box.com/s/k47ebtibfrmad5kpdv91u5oiehkov7wz

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Michael,

I very much enjoyed this piece and found your music accurately depicted your intent.  I wasn't a fan of the staccato notes at 7 minute (perhaps lower them an octave)?  It flows and is relaxing to listen to.  It could easily underscore a nature/landscape video, among other uses.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave 

Hi Michael, this piece is very enjoyable.  It is well written and orchestrated and generally has a good sound.  The middle section seems a bit short compared to the other two, not a problem really, it just kind of stuck out.  The second and third sections didn't seem as focused and well developed as the first, but then they couldn't be because they are short.  Again this is not a problem but it was something I noticed.

There is a passage towards the end of the first section where the horns have a long melody that could be a problem for endurance.  Without a score I can't be sure so please disregard this if you have allowed for that problem. Your sound here is good but I couldn't help thinking that this piece would shine more with either some different samples or different preparation.  Again this is not a problem, I'm just trying to think of ways to help. Thanks for posting.

Thank you David! If you mean the oboe staccatos, well gee, I thought that was the best part. Oh well...

David Carovillano said:

Hi Michael,

I very much enjoyed this piece and found your music accurately depicted your intent.  I wasn't a fan of the staccato notes at 7 minute (perhaps lower them an octave)?  It flows and is relaxing to listen to.  It could easily underscore a nature/landscape video, among other uses.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave 

Thanks Ingo. The horn part, which is in the middle "flight" section, has two horns playing those staccato figures, meant to suggest airiness, lightness, or even clouds. I have four horns to work with, so they can trade off when tired as only two play at a time. I don't know if this is the section you referred to or not. But yes there are places where the horn does have some long passages, but again with four horns I'm sure it could be played. I do strive to provide either breathing opportunities, or indicate a switch of players if that's not possible.

Ingo Lee said:

Hi Michael, this piece is very enjoyable.  It is well written and orchestrated and generally has a good sound.  The middle section seems a bit short compared to the other two, not a problem really, it just kind of stuck out.  The second and third sections didn't seem as focused and well developed as the first, but then they couldn't be because they are short.  Again this is not a problem but it was something I noticed.

There is a passage towards the end of the first section where the horns have a long melody that could be a problem for endurance.  Without a score I can't be sure so please disregard this if you have allowed for that problem. Your sound here is good but I couldn't help thinking that this piece would shine more with either some different samples or different preparation.  Again this is not a problem, I'm just trying to think of ways to help. Thanks for posting.

Hi Michael, I did find the piece quite relaxing to listen to and I liked the variations.

I wasn't sure about the mid section to be honest as I didn't really understand the chord changes there but that may be that I need to listen to it more to understand where it was going there but over all I did enjoy the sound and feel of the piece.

It has a particular mood, calm and relaxing but still many interesting twists in the orchestration keeping the listener alert although it is meant as lullaby. The rhythm is a bit monotonic but I guess there is no other option for a lullaby, although I would have appreciated some more dynamics and variations in this respect. I made a lullaby once and got criticized for being to lively in the end, the listener woke up.

Your piece is beautiful indeed and I thank you for given me the opportunity to listen. Thanks, Michael.

Kjell

Thanks for listening and commenting, Keith. The middle section is the flight section. I broadly conceived it as an airplane ride, but it also is meant sleep. In both cases, it is a journey through a gentle landscape, not much going on except the sleeper or airplane meandering through the night. So it monotonous yes, but it's not meant to be anything more than that.

Keith Theodosiou said:

Hi Michael, I did find the piece quite relaxing to listen to and I liked the variations.

I wasn't sure about the mid section to be honest as I didn't really understand the chord changes there but that may be that I need to listen to it more to understand where it was going there but over all I did enjoy the sound and feel of the piece.

Thanks for listening and commenting, Kjell. The middle section is the flight section. I broadly conceived it as an airplane ride, but it also is meant sleep. In both cases, it is a journey through a gentle landscape, not much going on except the sleeper or airplane meandering through the night. So it monotonous yes, but it's not meant to be anything more than that.

Kjell Prytz said:

It has a particular mood, calm and relaxing but still many interesting twists in the orchestration keeping the listener alert although it is meant as lullaby. The rhythm is a bit monotonic but I guess there is no other option for a lullaby, although I would have appreciated some more dynamics and variations in this respect. I made a lullaby once and got criticized for being to lively in the end, the listener woke up.

Your piece is beautiful indeed and I thank you for given me the opportunity to listen. Thanks, Michael.

Kjell

Thanks for the feedback Keith. The chord changes really aren't going anywhere, they just provide a background or landscape for the journeyer, which could be someone on an airplane flying through the night,  or just someone sleeping and having a series of related, non-descript dreams.

Keith Theodosiou said:

Hi Michael, I did find the piece quite relaxing to listen to and I liked the variations.

I wasn't sure about the mid section to be honest as I didn't really understand the chord changes there but that may be that I need to listen to it more to understand where it was going there but over all I did enjoy the sound and feel of the piece.

Some of it, but especially the first few minutes, has a Celtic vibe, in my opinion, but I very much liked that. It almost sounded like it could’ve been a part of Horner’s ‘Braveheart’ score. Some of the rest left me a little mystified, though I nevertheless enjoyed that, too. I think that mystification probably stemmed out of the difficulty of identifying a tonal center, which is obviously not necessarily a bad thing. It’s a good piece of work, quite different from a lot of what you’ll find here. There also seems to be a good deal of restraint in it, too, which, to my mind, at least, denotes confidence. 

Thanks for the feedback, Paul! Very interesting reactions. To be mentioned in the same sentence as James Horner is high praise indeed! And of course quite undeserved. I agree that my music probably doesn't sound like most that is posted here, whether that is good or bad I'm not sure. As for tonal centers, my music does meander a lot, going through various keys, and almost never ending up in the same one it started in. That's because I just let it go where it wants to go, so to speak. Maybe it's because Debussy is my favorite composer. I suppose I follow different rules than most. Which is neither good nor bad, it's just how I compose. As for the Celtic thing, well, I am about 1/4 Irish, maybe it is sneaking out just a bit!

Hi Michael

A lovely piece - a beautiful haunting melody for the "lullaby". I think that for me the first part was by far the best and I felt that the main theme would also make for a great solo piece on any instrument. I'm in two minds regarding the contrast with the wood (oboe?) when it took over the melody - my personal taste would be for a more mellow tone (from maybe a clarinet?) but it didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the piece.

Thanks, Colin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service