Replies

• Hello Timothy,

Thanks for keeping us informed. I still keep an eye on spitfire.

There are things - London Contemporary Strings...Choir.....  

Sometimes difficult to follow what their articulations mean. Long...short... 

• Hi Dane,

I picked up CORE on a pretty good deal. Initially I was skeptical. There are many expanded articulations in CORE version .vs Discovery version. There are probably free articulation templates for Reaper from Spitfire. I made some up for Cakewalk which also work for the professional version. One thing I'll say about CORE is there are no magic tricks in the bag like some others offer such as the whole orchestra set up to play at once under different velocities. It's simply a straight forward orchestra with each piece. All the work is done by the composer. Nothing automatic. A library with great sound and articulations. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I have barely used is since I bought it due to a very hectic schedule. I plan to put it into use soon. I think it's a great value for what it is

• Good Morning, Timothy,

Well, I'd be pretty happy about spitfire were I not already well set up with VSL. It's always appealed as an alternative orchestra (I mean, like the Vienna Symphony, the BBCSO is one of the world's top orchestras - it can afford to be, publicly funded!).

I wish though that its demos were more focused and specific. Some of the articulation names are meaningless meanwhile other well-known ones are missing (they might be among the oddly-named ones. As a violinist yourself you may have questioned, for example, what's the difference between a long and short spiccato? Or what's a long sul ponte? Does it mean there's no staccato sul ponte on offer?)

So it's more of an administrative thing - and as I keep a full back up of all samples, a couple of new terabyte SSDs!

But the Core certainly looks affordable. I viewed the update video and it's quite exciting.

Can I take it that one can set keyswitches to change articulation? (There doesn't seem to be a manual on offer.)

• Hello Dane,

I will butt in to say that yes, keyswitches are programmable in BBC Core. Also, here is the manual:

Dane Aubrun said:

Good Morning, Timothy,

Well, I'd be pretty happy about spitfire were I not already well set up with VSL. It's always appealed as an alternative orchestra (I mean, like the Vienna Symphony, the BBCSO is one of the world's top orchestras - it can afford to be, publicly funded!).

I wish though that its demos were more focused and specific. Some of the articulation names are meaningless meanwhile other well-known ones are missing (they might be among the oddly-named ones. As a violinist yourself you may have questioned, for example, what's the difference between a long and short spiccato? Or what's a long sul ponte? Does it mean there's no staccato sul ponte on offer?)

So it's more of an administrative thing - and as I keep a full back up of all samples, a couple of new terabyte SSDs!

But the Core certainly looks affordable. I viewed the update video and it's quite exciting.

Can I take it that one can set keyswitches to change articulation? (There doesn't seem to be a manual on offer.)

BBCSOCore_Manual_v1.6.1.pdf

BBC Symphony Orchestra CORE update

• Hi, Harmonius,

Many thanks for the manual and info on keyswitches. No probbies at all about butting in!!

I tried the Discover freebie and it would without doubt have been valuable were I just setting out but was unusable for anything I might do: contemporary; or traditional 'light music' for which "Horns à 4" aren't useful.

I'll read through the manual later today.

I have to thank Timothy for drawing spitfire to attention. Although much seems cinematic there are a few choice items there (like the BBCSO. I've heard them at Maida Vale and just wish I could get them to perform one of mine live!).

Again, thanks,

Dane.

•  Also want to thank Harmonius for the manual.

Hi Dane,

I agree some of the articulations are a bit vague and I'm not sure how much I will use some of them. Time will tell.

I will need to add the other articulations to the articulations template I made for Cakewalk. People are raving about the improvements to Core and pro versions. I have yet to get my update through their app. It's now well beyond the 24 hour time Spitfire promised. I am told  Core users should all have updates by 1/18.

I hope future updates can be handled a little better than this was. I don't mind waiting. I do mind being told I'll have something in 24 hours. When I didn't get it I wasted a lot of time looking for a problem that didn't exist.

In the Core version the samples are ok. They default to a dry setting with no reverb. This could have been in response to Albion always sounding so wet. Much too wet for some things IMHO.

There is a nice reverb in the Spitfire app. using Core. In the dry setting though some of the samples didn't impress me and sounded sort of tinny. Add a little reverb though and the natural sound comes out. I attribute most of this to simply a dry mic'd sample. Admittedly to get the whole orchestra in under 30gb there might have been some compression involved as well. I'm glad the samples didn't default to reverb because I almost always use a reverb buss and send each track to it instead of having 50 reverbs which can end up sounding quite muddy.

• You guys are most welcome for the manual.

I just noticed that my update has finally arrived so i am looking forward to trying out some of the new articulations.

Timothy Smith said:

Also want to thank Harmonius for the manual.

Hi Dane,

I agree some of the articulations are a bit vague and I'm not sure how much I will use some of them. Time will tell.

I will need to add the other articulations to the articulations template I made for Cakewalk. People are raving about the improvements to Core and pro versions. I have yet to get my update through their app. It's now well beyond the 24 hour time Spitfire promised. I am told  Core users should all have updates by 1/18.

I hope future updates can be handled a little better than this was. I don't mind waiting. I do mind being told I'll have something in 24 hours. When I didn't get it I wasted a lot of time looking for a problem that didn't exist.

In the Core version the samples are ok. They default to a dry setting with no reverb. This could have been in response to Albion always sounding so wet. Much too wet for some things IMHO.

There is a nice reverb in the Spitfire app. using Core. In the dry setting though some of the samples didn't impress me and sounded sort of tinny. Add a little reverb though and the natural sound comes out. I attribute most of this to simply a dry mic'd sample. Admittedly to get the whole orchestra in under 30gb there might have been some compression involved as well. I'm glad the samples didn't default to reverb because I almost always use a reverb buss and send each track to it instead of having 50 reverbs which can end up sounding quite muddy.

• Thanks indeed for this extra commentary - that the samples are available dry. Like you, in a previous player I've used I've used a reverb bus. Reaper gives a fair bit of control. If the recordists are up to it I'd expect the quality to be excellent. I've heard the BBCSO at Maida Vale.

No surprise that updates are late. This is their one lacking: service. I remember with "Discovery" that I had to write several times about CC velocity control and it took forever and a day to get a reply. This compared with VSL who would reply almost at once and even walked me through a process in their online chat (temporarily closed for lockdown) because doing anything puts the frighteners up me!! A sample set got corrupted and I had to copy the dat file over from my backup! 

Another question I'd have for them is how easy is it to move the library to a new computer. If the licence could be stored on a portable SSD, that'd be fine. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks again. I'll be looking at the manual today. I'd hoped to last night but I downloaded musescore and things are never easy when first trying them out!

Timothy Smith said:

• Dane,

Not certain how moving a library to a new computer would work. I have moved libraries across SSD drives. 

I was able to download the update for CORE. Prior to the update I moved my library across drives. The plugin did not like it. I need to reconfigure the plug in libraries location since it looked for my library on another drive. It's my fault really. Can't blame them for attempting to see files on an SSD I moved files out of..

Michael, FYI I had a two semitone mismatch on my keyboard using Cakewalk. It wasn't a problem to correct once I figured out what the issue was. It seems the plugin reports a wrong location for at least some articulations.

Glad to hear you were able to get it corrected.

• UPDATE- I received the update on the 18th for BBCSO CORE and have been very happy with it. As it tuned out those tinny sounds carried across all my libraries and was a sound adjustment.

For anyone considering the Spitfire series ( Discovery, CORE, Professional)  The plugin UNIFY is receiving yet another update which includes patches built for Spitfire CORE and Pro. This is a HUGE advance in the use of the program.

If you remember, prior to this I indicated here that UNIFY had a free included patch for the free discovery version of BBCSO. All one needed was UNIFY which doesn't break the bank. 

Sine then, John has added patches for the CORE and Pro versions. While this is a paid addition to UNIFY in the 50.00 US range, I think it's well worth it. 

A pic is worth a lots of words so I'll just post the videos for you to hear-

This reply was deleted.