Replies

• A short, but powerful burst of anger. For some reason, I'm picturing somebody who feels like taking over the world.

• Aaaaarghhh!!! 

Yup, been there done that - it just shows, music can be quite therapeutic. (Are you angry with yourself or your three identical brothers - are you overcrowded in your bedroom wardrobe?)

Stephen

• Thanks michael, I also heard Scheherazade in the opening beats, but I didn't copy it I just came up with it. (I know you weren't saying that, I'm just  messing about.)

Sometime I will try to write an angry piece the better reflects the emotion. I'm glad you think the orchestration is good it means I am making progress. What do you think of the Notion sounds? I think they are pretty real, the best for any notation program I have tried.

michael diemer's Discussions
    michael diemer's Discussions | Meet composers from all over the world. Share ideas, thoughts, tech insights, job opportunities, and business knowledg…
  • My takeaway? I didn't get anger out of this. What I got was more, I don't know, gladiators, maybe? I think anger would be more abrupt and violent. This seems more powerful and actually a bit upbeat.

• michael diemer      I listened to Neilsen's 5th. Quite dissonant but very powerful.

You also mentioned that you transfer from a DAW to Notion. Here is a link that I have found useful for memorizing note positions on staves (sight reading without rhythm) . Let me know what you think of it.

https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/keyboard-reverse

michael diemer's Discussions
    michael diemer's Discussions | Meet composers from all over the world. Share ideas, thoughts, tech insights, job opportunities, and business knowledg…
  •  Bob Porter I agree it doesn't portray anger very well. I need to let go of my desire for pleasant sounding music.

Bob Porter's Discussions
    Bob Porter's Discussions | Meet composers from all over the world. Share ideas, thoughts, tech insights, job opportunities, and business knowledge!
  • Well, I hope there's more to that site. It lets you ID the wrong octave.

• Nice piece.

My main comment would be that the information density is not very high. In most places there is one melodic idea going on with maybe a couple of chord notes sustaining it, but no counter melodies or anything. You're using the colours of an orchestra to some extent but not the polyphonic possibilities.

• Hi  Bob Porter The keyboard is marked with C4 1 octave to the left from the conventional position for the treble clef. I guess it is for screen space reasons. I just imagine I am sitting more to the right than normal. I just checked the base clef, C4 is more to the right.

Bob Porter's Discussions
    Bob Porter's Discussions | Meet composers from all over the world. Share ideas, thoughts, tech insights, job opportunities, and business knowledge!
  • Hi Victor Eijkhout thanks for your comments. Yep, it was written in a day and does not have much counterpoint. On reflection though, I think a piece on anger (which this doesn't really reflect) would be single theme focused? I pose this question for discussion not to justify what I wrote.

Victor Eijkhout's Discussions
    Victor Eijkhout's Discussions | Meet composers from all over the world. Share ideas, thoughts, tech insights, job opportunities, and business knowled…
This reply was deleted.