Replies

• I have Finale, I have Cubase now, I was in your exact shoes, you can import the midi from Finale into Cubase easily, I am now a happy camper.
    ~Rod
  • Finale doesn't have any kind of DAW workflow integration, as far as i know, which means that no matter what DAW you choose, you will go through the same steps to connect it to finale: Export the midi file from finale and import it in the DAW of your choice-that's where their relation stops.

So, it's more a question of what you like best, what your money can buy, what you want to do. Ripper is a free one that works allright, it will help you understand the world of DAWs and make up your mind about the expensive choices you have (Cubase, which Rodney mentioned, is one of them).

I personally cover my DAW needs with ableton live for years, and I'm very happy with it. It's philosophy is more oriented to pattern based music, but it can still deal with "classical" arrangements just fine.

• I think Spiros actually meant to say the Reaper DAW. It's free to demo, with full features, for sixty days, after which it'll cost you just $60, which also covers plenty of free updates, but which would be just minor tweaks and such, as it has been around now long enough to be able to hold its own against DAWs costing a great deal more. It's the one I've been using and it's great, imo, although the learning curve, as with any DAW, can be pretty steep, depending on what all you want to do with it. If you can play a piano/keyboard well, you might want to think about buying and adding some virtual instruments to whatever DAW you might decide to go with and just playing all the info in on a midi-controller, as this would get you a more human touch for your parts than you can get with any notation program. However, if you're scoring for actual performers, well, then, it'd be better to stick with Finale, or use it in combination with the DAW. 

• Yes, Reaper, you're right. Damn spelling.

This reply was deleted.