This part is written in the 8-notes scale. Whereas normal scales have 7 different notes, this one counts 8 (C-D-D#-F-F#-G#-A-B-C) or all the steps up are 1 tone, 1/2 tone - 1 tone, 1/2 tone... throughout the scale. That implies that normal harmonic sequences are rare or incomplete and that more chromatic movements occur, which lead to somewhat unusual themes. The 8-notes scale was used a.o. by Mozart, but he harmonized in the traditional way. I limited myself to only the notes of the scale (sometimes enharmonically). There is also a variant of this scale (with the sequence of tones and half tones inversed: C-C#-D#-E-F#-G-A-A#-C).

The trio will only have short pieces in each time a different unusual scale. A reel is an old English dance in 6/8, related to the Gigue or Jig.

Please feel free to comment and have a pleasant listen!

Jos

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a nice twist on a traditional form Jos, a different flavor that is very enjoyable.  Your instruments sound good and are well rendered.

Thanks for posting.

• Thanks a lot, Ingo, much appreciated!

Jos

• Hi Jos,

Very pleasent.  Congratulations. 

I will appreciate if you could provide at least a partial score.

Very interesting scale.

Thank you for the information.

Al

• Thanks Riza.

I hope you don't feel offended, but I don't give away scores. I once did in a YT video and a few months later, the piece turned up in Russia... The Belgian Authors' Rights Organization couldn't do anything to stop this. But I can explain the scale used here if you like.

Jos

• Hi Jos,

I had/still have similar experiences.  They were selling my works at Finland and Russia although copyright was clearly indicated by IMSLP.   Personally, I do not care if somebody sells my work for the time being.  May be later I will change my mind but it is more important for me to get known at this point.

Your concern is true and totally understandable it can be a bad feeling when you see your work being distributed without your concent.

Al

This reply was deleted.