A little help, please.

Hello, I have been trying to understand how to manipulate the sounds that I use (especially the soloist VSTs) to make it sound more realistic. In this piece, I have a solo viola, but it sounds like it's holding it's nose and I would like to improve the sound. Any suggestions? Anyone? https://soundcloud.com/ngyd/legend-larry-bird

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah, I know but I was addressing your first response, "You've got it backwards man, you're supposed to be getting paid for it."  I thought that maybe you had information about something that would help with exactly that. Going to a studio or purchasing decent equipment to do it at home will both cost money that I don't have. Therefore It's like I said, we do everything ourselves and once I can afford the proper equipment (mic, better computer, etc) and a and less noise polluted location, I'll have to continue using the VSTI.  

• No, I didn't mean that at all. My "pretty penny" statement was referring to affording either the studio recording costs or the equipment/quiet location. 

• You guys on this site are deep. 

Alton D. Terry said:

No, I didn't mean that at all. My "pretty penny" statement was referring to affording either the studio recording costs or the equipment/quiet location. 

http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/comment/show?id=773368%3AComment%3A348107&xn_out=json&firstPag…
  • Recording a symphonic orchestra with a microphone and a laptop seems pretty difficult.

Christopher Shaver said:

For me, finding competent musicians has always been the issue.

You mean competent musicians willing to work for free, don't you? I can see the problem :)

• I see nothing wrong with this approach if you're filthy rich.

R. O S E B UUUUDDDDD.

• You seem to be getting the musicians, those that make a live performance possible, confused with the audience. 

Think of it as a filmmaker paying his actors to act in his/her movie. 

Furthermore, since I originally posted this question, I have continued to perform with musicians (paid) and I have to tell you that it's much less about the money and more about the fact that I have shown, in some way, appreciation, respect and value for their commitment, talent and time; I don't pay more than I can afford (which is not much), but taking into consideration their appreciation of my respect for them, you would think that I paid them thousands of dollars. They breathe life into the notes written, they put their energy into the music and it's because of them that I am able to connect with the audience beyond a superficial level; the musicians are worth every penny spent and much more than I could ever offer, even if I were filthy rich. So, to make sure that my response to your response is clear, I do not pay an audience to listen to my compositions, but rather I pay the musicians so that I may have an audience at all. 

Christopher Shaver said:

I still don't understand the perception that the musicians should get paid by the composer. Would the performers pay concertgoers to see them perform? Would a novelist feel the need to pay someone to read their book?

Never forget that as a composer you are creating a commodity. You shouldn't be paying someone to consume it.

Greg Brus said:

Recording a symphonic orchestra with a microphone and a laptop seems pretty difficult.

Christopher Shaver said:

For me, finding competent musicians has always been the issue.

You mean competent musicians willing to work for free, don't you? I can see the problem :)

A little help, please.
    Hello, I have been trying to understand how to manipulate the sounds that I use (especially the soloist VSTs) to make it sound more realistic. In thi…
  • No, you are not wrong when it's assumed that the filmmaker, composer etc has someone or an entity that is financially backing the project. I am speaking from someone in the position that has to do it alone. I can't sit on my hands and not do what I want with my craft and wait for the day when someone wants to give me the financial backing that I need, I have to come up with the money to be able to say to the musicians that I can pay x amount of dollars for their time. If my situation was what you assumed it was, then there would have been no need for my initial question in the first place.

P.S. I am not stupid and neither are you, we've simply come to a misunderstanding.  

This reply was deleted.