Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Just throwing it out there.  I think it would be beneficial if there could be a forum contributed guide with descriptions to atonal subcategories.  

Music without a tonal center has been around for over a century and much of what is called atonal is far more than just that but I have yet to locate an intelligent guide that presents the myriad of subcategories / schools of thought.

Potential contenders for subcategories might include:

Serialism

12 tone serialism

Microtonal music

Noise music

Methodical Music that adheres to unique rules

Mathematical music

Music with consonant harmonies but without a tonal center

Fundamentally rhythmically complex music (random pitched)

*Some category names above might be incorrect.

Please Note: This thread is not intended to be a format for opinions about such music but rather a resource that could shed light on a very vague tradition.

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Em, if you could send me a PM with a formal proposal, I’d be happy to entertain the idea. Please include (if you have this information) how such a guide would be built (i.e. who would do it and how), how it would be vetted, and what would happen after it is built (i.e. would it be a static document, or open for commentary/expansion). Thanks!

Gav

I'll bet Julie already has some of this put together for her students.  She might not want to be back on the forum but maybe she could help with this?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service