This is something I've been fooling with for my next CD project. I'm interested in seeing if it seems to hang together and make any sense to other people :) I'm trying to get a nice dance groove happening without too much attachment to a specific tonal center ( even though a couple tritone ground bass lines are present ) Also: Ignore the sounds -they're internal Finale sounds and this is intended to be played totall live. Fire away folks !! Phil Kelly

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Trying to load this file again ..

F08 Atonal funk exp edit#2.mp3

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8608014657?profile=original
  • I dig this immensely. Shades of Sam Rivers and his big band music :) Just great man, are you arranging this for a large ensemble ( big band size?) This is sweet, those ensemble sections will sound so phat with saxes, bones, trumpets.. and solos- etc. Awesome man.

I have something in this vein here: if ya wanna check it out: "Second Chance"

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=872816&q=hi
    • Jamie:

Thanks for the props ..as to band size, I'm torn between using maybe six horns and trying it with a full 4/4/5 band. Most funk things I've done in the past I usually cut the track and overdub the horns, and this thing is getting complex enough I really think that will be necessary with this puppy!

I tried to listen to your example ,but my iMac wouldn't let the soundclick through ..can you post the same example here on this Forum?

Phil K
      • right on! I would to hear this if you end up recording with a live band...

I posted my piece in the forum, sorry u couldnt get soundclick thru itunes.. peace.

Jamie
  • hahah Phil i just can never get enough of your wacky lines. You are like Joe Lovano on the score paper. Cant' wait to hear this performed
    • Thanks Chris:

this is one of several "wacky" things I'm working on for the next CD. ( I'm also balancing them out with several straight ahead things so my "fan base" -mostly old big band nuts over my own age of 70 -doesn't have the vapors :)

heres another one ...

weirdwalz.mp3

• Phil,

weirdwalz is great, I am looking forward to hearing the next CD! I am working on a CD project myself with some musicians from the bay area over here- a mostly latin jazz type vibe. I woould loave to hear your feedback on it when we finish. take care man...

JD
  • Hi Phil, I like your "wacky" atonal piece. It grooves and is really sophisticated harmonically speaking. I couldn´t feel the "weirdness" of atonality in it. Kind of natural developing of the groove that interacts very well with the brass band. Go ahead! I also want to hear this performed.
  • (New to the forum -- Hi, y'all!)

Nice. I like it muchly. My one comment would be about the various parallel melody lines. Maybe different w/ live instruments (look forward to that), but the fact that the instruments playing the melodies maintain their interval throughout the line might get a little tiring to the ear. Maybe the intervals change, at important times? Like when you land on a long note? Maybe the second time thru, for a little variety? I don't know, it's pretty cool.
  • Oooh, now "Wierd Walz" I really like. Very nice. Man, let us know when this stuff comes ou!
This reply was deleted.