Replies

• I don't enter my parts in the staff view - I play them all in, but being primarily a guitarist not a pianist, they usually require some editing of wrong notes! This I do in the staff view - have never tried the piano roll view or midi-step-matrix-whatnot; I just find the staff view much easier. I may try the paino roll some time to see if I get the same problem. I may also try changing buffer settings. The trouble is, I get a bit scared of changing too much, because so often in the past it caused days of work to get it working again, and if I'm spending that much time in my studio, I really ought to be doing my coursework, not breaking my PC!

I'm worried about all the plugins if I upgrade to S6. I didn't go into too much detail in the previous post for not wishing to send you all to sleep, but what happened was this:

I upgraded to S5PE, all seemed OK at first.

A few months later I bought Stylus RMX, but it would not show up in the plugin list. Cakewalk user-support didn't want to know. Spectrasonics, on the other hand, spent several half hour phone calls across the Atlantic trying to help me - I can't praise them enough.

I tried uninstalling all my plug-ins and re-installing, and this culminated in losing all my plug-ins, which is when I knew it was a Sonar problem, not Stylus. Cakewalk told me to ensure all my plugins were in a single directory. I did this, but it didn't work. I even tried installing Sonar on my laptop, which was 'vanilla' in music software terms, and put a couple of plugins in a single folder, and they didn't show up either!

When I ran the old adapter they all came back... Phew! But not without their problems, as mentioned in my previous post. I have also lost all the styles and other content in session drummer. I may reinstall S5 to see if that comes back.

So basically I'm scared of an upgrade to S6 in case it all happens again - I really haven't got the time to go through all that, and knowing what Cakewalk's 'support' is like, it doesn't seem worth the hassle at the moment!

P.S. I looked at the Cakewalk forum at the time, and I wasn' t the only user to have this problem. I may look back there and see if they eventually got anywhere.
  • Yep, I'm a Sonar disciple too.
    • I used a really early version of Cakewalk about 12 years ago, and recently I bought Sonar Home Studio 6 XL. I'm planning to upgrade to Producer Edition.

As a novice user I've found it pretty easy to use, though there is a handful of annoying bugs/quirks.

It's clearly useless at writing via score, and that's why I have ordered Sibelius :) Some of you will probably now tell me there was a better way, but never mind, I'm committed now! Anyway, I'm sticking with it for now, until I really get more experience in scoring video. If that turns out to be painful I might consider switching. But up to this point, I'm quite pleased with it. I like the Synth Rack, and the effects patching is very intuitive. If I had better audio skills I think I would by now have made something awesome with it. I'm working on that particular skills gap, but not there yet I'm afraid!
  • I've been a Cakewalk user since v.5 and used SONAR 6 up until about 2 months ago. I bought a MacPro, Logic, and DP just to check them out. It took me about a week to do things as fast in Logic as I did in Cakewalk and I was a very proficient SONAR user.

The score editor in Logic (and DP) are light years ahead of SONAR. Also, scoring to picture is not fun to do in SONAR. Things like jogging and shuttling (if you don't have a control surface) is not possible, picture animation while dragging an item around on the timeline (this makes syncing events incredibly simple), when hitting record the picture would run during the countoff so the picture would always be one measure ahead.

Cakewalk as a company is top notch but there are some features that are missing that I need to use on a daily basis.
  • Sonar 7? I've got 6- What's new in 7? Should I upgrade? -doug
    • I'm probably gonna get either Sonar 7 SE or producer , but now my whole plan seems not as good as it did, since the poster who talked about Sonar being difficult to score to picture. Now I dont know..lol. I have some time to think about it though as I dont have the $, just having bought a new computer. I have enjoyed using HS 2004 XL though, it was my first experience in DAW , and I am used to the cakewalk interface..
This reply was deleted.