Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi All,

My goal for 2021 is to get more people listening to my music. At the moment, I don't care if they pay for it or not. I'm 60 and retired, so the money thing is behind me. 

I compose in a style that can be best described as contemporary classical. I like to think of it as something similar to Prokofiev, I know, that's a huge call, but it's the best way to describe my style to people.

Now, I have the same problem in getting people to listen to and too play my music as I did 40 years ago. I just cannot get people interested and I'm not sure why. Maybe my music is not their style, maybe players and groups think it is poorly written, I don't know, because no one will tell me what they think. The usual response is "this is not for us". Which tells me nothing.

I feel there are several reasons why people will not play or listen to my music, one is because it is almost impossible to hear my style of music on the radio or on streaming sites. So people are simply not able to hear music in my style and grow accustomed to it or like it. Actually, I feel this is the main reason why I can get my music heard. Plus, I live in Australia, and we are pretty musically conservative here.

Almost all my music is tonal as well. So there's nothing too scary for people who love classical music. Here's a sample, my piano quartet No. 1. https://robjkennedy.bandcamp.com/album/piano-plus

I'd love to know what you would do in my position?

Cheers,

Rob

Views: 314

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I do put the effort in. I put the effort into the original composition. That's why I said it's heart breaking to have to re-do it all again to get a quality sound. That sort of thing makes me lose all enthusiasm for my music.

I know what you mean. Even if I do buy quality string patches, none are as good as the real thing. I am approaching more local groups, I'll see what comes of that.

Cheers,

Rob

DC Cornelius said:

Hi, Rob...This is the question posed in your opening post:

I'd love to know what you would do in my position?

Rob...I Would luv to have Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl performing all my drum parts for example, but that ain't ever going to happen! So to get what I want I've had to do it myself by spending money & learning how to programme drums. There's no 2 ways around it, Rob! All due respect but without putting the effort in, you'll never be happy- unless you're able to pay live musicians of course.

Peace & Happy New Year.

DC...

Rob J Kennedy said:

Well, I do put the effort in. I put the effort into the original composition.

yes of course but not in the area I'm suggesting.. OK, fair enough- good luck

I had thought of 2021 as being time for consolidation. Write up a few physical scores, put effort into refinement; but I looked back at 2019 and 2020, what I did and how the clerical side of composing has changed. 

It seemed pretty obvious that I've exhausted the impressionist style with which I once felt comfortable. It suited me because I can't write an extended melody to save my life. If one emerges accidentally it turns into light music - fun and more useful getting it out in the public - but too reliant on 'accidental'. Simultaneously. serial techniques have never appealed - too much is predetermined in the initial choice of a serial 'row'. So it's always going to be through composed reliant on motifs.

In 2021 I'll turn to works for smaller resources. And experimenting.

In the past decade I've tried to mock up the orchestra. The experience of a few pieces played locally was useful so that working in a daw is about 'how would I expect an orchestra to play that?" and to be faithful to the instruments' techniques, e.g trombones can never play true legato without a portamento so a tiny pause between each note is inevitable. And that flutes in their lowest register are always quiet and easily drowned out. I don't cheat.

But there's a trend now to use orchestral sound as resource as malleable as anything else electronic. It doesn't have to sound like a real orchestra. Sample libraries proliferate with presets, pre-orchestrated chunks, swirls, hits that the composer joins together like Lego.

I shall try to explore some of that but as at today my heart will need some encouragement to get started. Bunging something together in a couple of days using 'ready meal' equivalents isn't my thing. However, I'm on the edge of buying some vocal stuff from Realitone that'll give me greater exploratory capacity.

We shall see.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service