Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

All Discussions Tagged 'theory' (9)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Real metric modulation?

Does anyone know of any techniques for modulating from one time signature to another, without changing tempo? (Mostly when people say "metr…

Started by Ethan Moore

10 Jan 19, 2018
Reply by Ethan Moore

Can someone look at these six bars of music and examine the chord structure: What is going on here?

What is happening in these six bars of music? Can someone tell me what seems ordinary or commonplace here, and what seems extraordinary…

Started by Olmnilnlolm

12 Dec 2, 2015
Reply by Olmnilnlolm

Composition for small ensembles

This seems like a great forum to discuss composition techniques so I wonder if I can raise a discussion on composing for a small number of…

Started by Luci Holland

39 Mar 9, 2013
Reply by Luci Holland

Books on theory and composition

I'm learning music theory and composition on my own at home.  I find that I understand little of the specific technical aspects that compos…

Started by Kevin Keating

10 Dec 27, 2012
Reply by Jana Cole

String Quartet No. 1 (Night Quartet)

This is my first String Quartet.  Subtitled "Night Quartet," it began as a very short solo violin piece I'd written called "Night Sonata" w…

Started by Kevin Keating

4 Oct 28, 2012
Reply by Bob Porter

Modal mishaps

I have been messing around with the modes a lot lately, clumsily improvising counterpoint at the keyboard, if you will, to get my ear worki…

Started by Matt Walsh

13 Nov 19, 2010
Reply by Chris Alpiar

Enharmonics...WTF?!?! Oh god another tuning question.

I was at choir last week and the main work we are doing for our upcoming concert is Rautavaara's Vigilia. If you are unfamiliar, it is ridi…

Started by Matt Walsh

4 Nov 13, 2010
Reply by Marcel de Velde

My Senior Thesis

I created this orchestral work for my senior thesis at Stevens Institute of Technology. The themes are based loosely on characters from Dou…

Started by Michael Zavorskas

13 Sep 18, 2010
Reply by Michael Zavorskas

music theory book

Hey im going to study music in sonic arts in march and i havent done much theory in the past 4 years sooo i need to brush up and i would li…

Started by Hayden Isaac

2 Nov 9, 2008
Reply by Hayden Isaac

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service