Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

"Winter Music" Contest - DEADLINE OVER, CONTEST CLOSED, VOTING HAS BEGUN

Hello all,

It's chilly outside where I am (Baltimore) and the winter wind is starting to blow. So it's time to propose a new contest! "Winter Music" - write a piece of music which invokes the idea of winter. Any instrumentation, length between 1-5 minutes. In order for this contest to be a go, I'd like to see at least 10 composers on this site sign up for it. If 10 composers sign up by Nov. 30, the contest is a go! You can sign up by replying to this thread or PM'ing me privately (if we are not friends already, send a friend request and I will accept). You don't have to submit your work by Nov. 30, you only have to express interest to participate by then, details about contest deadlines will appear after the contest is a go. Voting will be by the members of this site!

Hope to hear from you!

Gav

Views: 1937

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This also clears up some questions I had. Thanks, Gav.

Gav Brown said:

Sure Blake, here are the rules: Any instrumentation is allowed. Maximum length 5 minutes, but much shorter pieces are fine. One entry per composer. MP3 required, and your name should not be attached to it. If MP3 greater than site allows (7MB), ok to post elsewhere (but don't share on this forum until the contest is over). PDF highly desired unless impossible to produce, and again, your name should not be in it. Optionally, you may supply a short paragraph describing the work. To submit your entry, send to me at my personal e-mail address. If we are not already friends on this site, send me a friend request and I will accept and reply with my address. Voting will be by the members of this site. Deadline to enter is 5 pm EST on November 30. Submission deadline will be announced when the contest begins. Since the contest will start in December, when everybody is gearing up for the Holiday Season, I will likely set the submission deadline for sometime early next year. Please ask if you have any additional questions~

Thanks to all who have signed up so far! The deadline to express interest in this contest (but not to submit an entry) is Nov 30 at 5 pm EST.

Special Announcement! The top three vote-getters of this contest will be featured on the top of the homepage of this site! Want to get your works noticed? Here's one way! The deadline to express interest in this contest (but not to submit an entry) is Nov 30 at 5 pm EST. Deadline for submission of entries will be January 31st, 2015! Reply to this thread if you are interested in participating in the contest, or PM me if you want to participate anonymously - if we are not already friends on this site, please send a friend request and I will accept and provide you with an e-mail address you can send your entry to. We have 12 entrants so far, so this is already a robust contest for this site! 9 days left to express interest!

Hi Gav, I think you have added 2 very good ideas to the contest format. Highlighting and anonimous

entry might spark a higher interest. Jan. 31st seems a bit long and far away for a less than 5 minute

composition, but with the holidays coming, maybe that's necessary.   Thanks,   RS

Gav Brown said:Special Announcement! The top three vote-getters of this contest will be featured on the top of the homepage of this site! Want to get your works noticed? Here's one way! The deadline to express interest in this contest (but not to submit an entry) is Nov 30 at 5 pm EST. Deadline for submission of entries will be January 31st, 2015! Reply to this thread if you are interested in participating in the contest, or PM me if you want to participate anonymously - if we are not already friends on this site, please send a friend request and I will accept and provide you with an e-mail address you can send your entry to. We have 12 entrants so far, so this is already a robust contest for this site! 9 days left to express interest!

I've got :58 of pastiche-crap laid out pretty solidly already. A big meaty chud of tonal familiarity. Lol, I can take it easy! 

roger stancill said:

Hi Gav, I think you have added 2 very good ideas to the contest format. Highlighting and anonimous

entry might spark a higher interest. Jan. 31st seems a bit long and far away for a less than 5 minute

composition, but with the holidays coming, maybe that's necessary.   Thanks,   RS

Gav Brown said:Special Announcement! The top three vote-getters of this contest will be featured on the top of the homepage of this site! Want to get your works noticed? Here's one way! The deadline to express interest in this contest (but not to submit an entry) is Nov 30 at 5 pm EST. Deadline for submission of entries will be January 31st, 2015! Reply to this thread if you are interested in participating in the contest, or PM me if you want to participate anonymously - if we are not already friends on this site, please send a friend request and I will accept and provide you with an e-mail address you can send your entry to. We have 12 entrants so far, so this is already a robust contest for this site! 9 days left to express interest!

Just let it ferment for a little while, then you can hurl it at all those who don't like it. This approach generally works for me.

Kristofer Emerig said:

I like the title. Goes well with my current holiday music project: "An Oozing, Steaming Cowpie of Tonal Missteps"

Paul Smith said:

"A big meaty chud of tonal familiarity."

Hey Paul, I guess I'm a bit more old fashion when it comes to things like that.

I put mine in a brown paper bag and light it on the doorstep of my least

favorite neighbor, then ring the doorbell and run.    RS        raunchy stuff

Paul Smith said:

Just let it ferment for a little while, then you can hurl it at all those who don't like it. This approach generally works for me.

Kristofer Emerig said:

I like the title. Goes well with my current holiday music project: "An Oozing, Steaming Cowpie of Tonal Missteps"

Paul Smith said:

Paul LOL I think you may have started a new naming trend! Contest deadline is 11/30 at 5 pm EST!

Paul Smith said:

I've got :58 of pastiche-crap laid out pretty solidly already. A big meaty chud of tonal familiarity. Lol, I can take it easy! 

Ah, that old tried and true standby (if they're smart, that is!)... In truth, I'm happy about the extra time. I have an almost unfailing tendency to write myself into corners that need plenty of musings on prior material in the piece and false restarts in order to sort themselves out. I don't expect this time to be any different...

roger stancill said:

Hey Paul, I guess I'm a bit more old fashion when it comes to things like that.

I put mine in a brown paper bag and light it on the doorstep of my least

favorite neighbor, then ring the doorbell and run.    RS        raunchy stuff

Paul Smith said:

Kristofer Emerig said:

Paul Smith said:

Gav, is there any option of extending the 5-minute limit? Maybe I'm just too verbose, but I have some winter poems which, set to music, are likely to exceed this by a minute or two.

Puh-leeeezzze, pretty please??

John

Hello John, it's ok.

There are now 12 composers entered into the contest! Deadline to express interest (but not to submit an entry) is Sunday, November 30 at 5 pm EST. You can express interest by replying to this thread or sending me a private message. Hope you all have a good Turkey day!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service