Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello to all members,

This post is to announce our Winter Music Contest - members were asked to create a piece which evokes the idea of Winter. The rules of the contest are simple: any instrumentation, 7 minutes or less in duration. 16 members total submitted entries, making this one of the most-participated-in contests which I have run on this site! Please take some time to listen to these entries and vote your top three. The winners will have the honor of having their entries posted to the top of the home page of the site until the first day of summer! Please click the link below to cast your vote! Deadline is 2/14/2015 at 5 pm EST!!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R2733RF

Views: 4086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Composer M - "Winter Storm and Death of a Frantic Elk"

Attachments:

Composer N - "A Winter's Tale"

Music: http://youtu.be/KiM2hDbDpGQ

[Note to Composer N - I had to upload your music to my YouTube page as it was too big to post here, due to the 7MB file limit. I will leave it up until the contest and post-contest discussion has ended]

Attachments:

Composer O - "First Snow"

Attachments:

Composer P - "Une Journée sur les Pistes." Author's description: "Crisp mountain air, early morning sun and the first flakes of snow begin. Winter brings "A Day on the Slopes"."

Attachments:

3 votes so far, thanks!

Hey Gav, how are we going to keep this posted at the top of the main page for 2 weeks ? hmmm

Yes,   quite so, the question was the answer        now go take your meds

and get some sleep. you've got a post to address     OOOOOOOO yeah

Kristofer Emerig said:

Mr Roger, that's elementary..

roger stancill said:

Hey Gav, how are we going to keep this posted at the top of the main page for 2 weeks ? hmmm

Gav: Was there a PDF for composer G?

Gav Brown said:

Composer G - "Impressions of Winter Time." Author's description:

1. Snow Falls :00 to :56
2. Snowball Fight: Serious! :57 to 1:33
3. Two Views of a Winter Landscape 1:34 to 3:58
4. Memories of Pretty Things and Lost Loves 3:59 to 5:20
5. Spring Stirrings 5:21 to 7:07

Music: http://youtu.be/FEsp64NlZmI

[Note to Composer G - I had to upload your music to my YouTube page as it was too big to upload to the forum due to the 7MB file limit. I will leave it on my page until the contest and post-contest discussion have concluded]

A: Winter Scenes

A fantastic opening, straight out of a film score. Unfortunately the rest is more snatches of film score. I feel that the sections do not have enough of a separate identity to call this "scenes". For instance section D is some calm stuff followed by a swell, but it doesn't actually have a theme. Section E has something that looks like the initial melody, but is not quite.

B: Winter's End

I like how quiet most of the piece stays. (The big climax right before D was not necessary for me; in fact, the piece doesn't really lead up to it anyway.) But the harmonic idiom is a mystery to me.

C: Scenes from a magical snow globe

Very creative instrumentation. You do a great job of keeping the interest even though it's basically a whole lot of Em chord.....

D: Midnight Squawl

Nice mood. I'm not sure that the information content is commensurate with the forces you're calling upon.

E: Hot apple cider

The melody that starts this is really lovely. 

F: In Winter

PIty you couldn't find a singer to perform this. The melody is very simple, so that should not give any problems. Anyway, charming piece. Music and lyrics are very much in the same character.

G: Impressions of Winter Time

where's the score?

H: Snow falling

Nifty depicting of the gentle relentlessness of a snow drift.

I: Solitary music

Different. Definitely different. Was this written for a cello playing singer? I know it's called "solitary" but still, having two musicians and never having them play together.... Aside: I don't' think Bach would have put a 7th jump in a line that says "level with". Should measure 22 be the same as 8?

J: Snowflakes

Recorders? Why not.

K: Scherzo

Charming piece, but too many I-V-I-V progressions for me.In measure 64, please put discretionary natural signs. This notation is apt to confuse people.

L: Frosty the what?!

Prelude and fugue. My my. The notation is a disaster. Some cleaning up, for instance not having a melody jump between two staves, would be nice.

M: Winter storm

Starts out very interesting, but the second half is somewhat disjointed, to me.

N: A Winter's tune

Some charming sounds, for instance the opening, but the two-voice writing around measure 40 doesn't do it for me.

O: First snow

You know, I wonder about all these orchestral pieces. Does something as gentle as "first snow" really call for a full frequency spectrum treatment? Nice writing though.

P: Journee sur les pistes

Love it. The only orchestral piece that actually has a melody and doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's also charming as all get-out.

Deb, a PDF was asked for, but entrants were allowed not to submit one. Composer G did not provide one -

Deborah Young said:

Gav: Was there a PDF for composer G?

Gav Brown said:

Composer G - "Impressions of Winter Time." Author's description:

1. Snow Falls :00 to :56
2. Snowball Fight: Serious! :57 to 1:33
3. Two Views of a Winter Landscape 1:34 to 3:58
4. Memories of Pretty Things and Lost Loves 3:59 to 5:20
5. Spring Stirrings 5:21 to 7:07

Music: http://youtu.be/FEsp64NlZmI

[Note to Composer G - I had to upload your music to my YouTube page as it was too big to upload to the forum due to the 7MB file limit. I will leave it on my page until the contest and post-contest discussion have concluded]

9 votes so far!

On a different forum there is a rule that if you don't vote, your entry is disqualified. Can we adopt that here? That should be a good way to get people to vote.....

V.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service