Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Another of my 60’s - 70’s type piano ballads.

Here’s a Soundcloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-686710883/where-to-begin

Views: 81

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rick,

A pleasant tune that captures what you were striving for. More 70s than 60s I would say. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Hi Rick,

Well, you've chosen some good songwriters to be influenced by. I can visualise Bacharach nodding with approval! There's no problem to me "learning" one's harmony from such people. Gershwin taught me more than anyone else though I'd be only a pale shadow!  

Here again, the harmonic progressions are captivating and ambitious. They flow. Easy to listen to. Nice tune and it too could be a song. You certainly have a knack. Is your work exposed to the public at all?

Cheers.

Hi Dane,

Thanks for your kind words. I too eat the scraps off the table of my heroes and a nod of approval from any one them would be better than winning the lotto for me. Okay, I lied, but I’d imagine if Bacharach was an accountant or something he’d still be writing tunes on weekends just cuz it’s what he is.

And to answer your question; “no” I don’t play my stuff for anyone other than sometimes for my brother and sister. It’s mostly because I don’t have any friends. As in zero. I have a really hard time getting to know people. I have social anxiety and crap..(Asperger’s), OCD, and some Tourette’s (I’m told).

I can’t for the life of me understand Facebook, Twitter, etc. I’ve tried and only get frustrated. I wish I knew someone that could walk me through the social media platforms but truth be told, I think I just don’t want to participate in that universe. The only reason I’ve even tried was so I could get people to hear my music but social media is just too confusing for me. Those platforms are too much like being at a big party and I hate parties. I don’t even have a mobile phone, don’t want one.. no one even calls me on my land line... he he he. I’ve sent some stuff via email to agents of some heavyweights but alas... *crickets*. This forum and my email I guess are the best I can hope for to get my stuff heard.

I said I don’t have any friends, that’s true, but actually I do know a few people but I just don’t hang out with them.. I feel I bore people. I usually steer conversations to mathematics and science and get yawns... it’s stuff I know about. Burt Bacharach might nod his head in approval to my music but I’d have him yawning within 10 minutes.

Thanks again Dane, I’ve probably got you yawning after all this jibber jabber.  :)

Fine songs, I think this kind of music is liked by a lot of people, could be used in tv- series for instance as theme songs.

Hi Rick, I could basically rewrite the review that I did for "I Don't Want to Think" which I liked and complimented you on because it was well done also.  So this song is very well put together and yes, very reminiscent of 60's/70's pop which is certainly not a bad thing.

I don't like social media either and I agree that sending music to agents is a waste of time. There are other ways of sharing your music however.  The music business is incredibly competitive and there is little chance of monetary success but you can still easily publish and market your music online if you want to.

Composer's Forum is mostly inhabited by classical composers and I'm sure we are happy to hear other styles as well but you might consider posting on a songwriter forum.  There are lots of those and you can also seek out like-minded musicians to possibly collaborate with.  This might get you some vocals for instance, or better production sound quality.which always helps make songs more attractive to the general public.

You can market your music directly through DistroKid or CDBaby which gives you access to iTunes and Spotify etc. or you can post on Bandcamp which allows direct sales (or giveaways) to the public. You should consider copywriting and other publishing issues before doing any of this.

You probably know some or all of this info. but I thought I should share it anyway.

Thanks Ingo Lee, all very good information. I didn’t realize this forum was mostly for classical music. Probably won’t stop me from posting stuff though. I love classical music, that’s what I listen to when I turn on a radio.

Ingo Lee said:

Hi Rick, I could basically rewrite the review that I did for "I Don't Want to Think" which I liked and complimented you on because it was well done also.  So this song is very well put together and yes, very reminiscent of 60's/70's pop which is certainly not a bad thing.

I don't like social media either and I agree that sending music to agents is a waste of time. There are other ways of sharing your music however.  The music business is incredibly competitive and there is little chance of monetary success but you can still easily publish and market your music online if you want to.

Composer's Forum is mostly inhabited by classical composers and I'm sure we are happy to hear other styles as well but you might consider posting on a songwriter forum.  There are lots of those and you can also seek out like-minded musicians to possibly collaborate with.  This might get you some vocals for instance, or better production sound quality.which always helps make songs more attractive to the general public.

You can market your music directly through DistroKid or CDBaby which gives you access to iTunes and Spotify etc. or you can post on Bandcamp which allows direct sales (or giveaways) to the public. You should consider copywriting and other publishing issues before doing any of this.

You probably know some or all of this info. but I thought I should share it anyway.

Oh and also Gav has provided us with access to publishers right here on CF, I  oops , forgot. 

And we like all music here so please post all you want.

Hi again, Rick.

In passing, seems we have a few things in common - I have no social media accounts. Set up a Faceache on only because it was a requirement to get to a news site which I never used! Never been back to faceache since. Have no smartphone - just a clamshell mobile as I drive around a fair bit. As for friends, friend is a pretty loose term. I was consoled to find many www articles about studies showing the more intelligent a person is, the less likely they are to have "friends"! Mind, I'm not a bright person so perhaps I'm just not friend material! 

I don't have much luck with getting my music around - a few light-music pieces for locals: a movie club and one for a nearby stately home. I play a couple of orchestral instruments (badly) to join local music activities mainly with the hope of getting my stuff played. Sometimes lucky sometimes not. It's why I write for smaller ensembles. The BBC is too difficult to get things done these days. Ah well, I suppose we get by.

Your own style would be liked by many though. I hope it gets picked up soon.

Rick said:

Hi Dane,

Thanks for your kind words. I too eat the scraps off the table of my heroes and a nod of approval from any one them would be better than winning the lotto for me. Okay, I lied, but I’d imagine if Bacharach was an accountant or something he’d still be writing tunes on weekends just cuz it’s what he is.

And to answer your question; “no” I don’t play my stuff for anyone other than sometimes for my brother and sister. It’s mostly because I don’t have any friends. As in zero. I have a really hard time getting to know people. I have social anxiety and crap..(Asperger’s), OCD, and some Tourette’s (I’m told).

I can’t for the life of me understand Facebook, Twitter, etc. I’ve tried and only get frustrated. I wish I knew someone that could walk me through the social media platforms but truth be told, I think I just don’t want to participate in that universe. The only reason I’ve even tried was so I could get people to hear my music but social media is just too confusing for me. Those platforms are too much like being at a big party and I hate parties. I don’t even have a mobile phone, don’t want one.. no one even calls me on my land line... he he he. I’ve sent some stuff via email to agents of some heavyweights but alas... *crickets*. This forum and my email I guess are the best I can hope for to get my stuff heard.

I said I don’t have any friends, that’s true, but actually I do know a few people but I just don’t hang out with them.. I feel I bore people. I usually steer conversations to mathematics and science and get yawns... it’s stuff I know about. Burt Bacharach might nod his head in approval to my music but I’d have him yawning within 10 minutes.

Thanks again Dane, I’ve probably got you yawning after all this jibber jabber.  :)

Hi Dane,

Sorry in advance for the mountain of words that follows.  :)

Funny isn’t it? The thing about intelligence.. and friends. I’ve heard that too. And don’t sell yourself short on that front, I’ve listened to some of your work and you are an extremely bright individual. You’ve got a natural talent for harmony within an atonal framework - not an easy thing to pull off and you seem to do it effortlessly. I’m actually envious of your talent. If I’d try that sort of thing it would just end up sounding like a pack of hyena’s in heat. In truth I’m a little embarrassed being the anachronistic fossil I am. Everything that I write seems to be some combination of popular songs put in a blender with added sugar then poured into a tall glass. People usually have nice things to say but seldom do I hear the word “original”. Someone in this forum recently said something to the effect “I should strive for more originality”, to which I replied; “That’s too heavy a lift”. 

When I was in college, I actually took a music theory class for one quarter (I think). I didn’t learn how to read music in that course but I did attend a lot of seminars that dissected, with a microscope, classical works. It was actually pretty boring. I remember other students in the class getting all stressed out about their wanting to be “original”. It all struck me as a little superficial if not an outright feeling of self importance on their part. One day when we were assigned to work with other fellow students on a musical piece, I specifically remember this young woman in the class who had a singular focus to come up with something “original” because she said as much. I think I communicated to her something to the effect not to force it... if it happens, it happens.

It was obvious to me (probably something to do with her limited musical skills) that she never had a musical hero to emulate which to my mind was a sad thing. My musical masters were never present in my company but only appeared on the vinyl records that I wore holes in. In this modern space age of instant access to all the music we could ever want to hear, they were still my mentors. There is something to be said about the old renaissance adage (at least I think it was from the renaissance); “The student becomes the master”. Point being, to become a “master” painter, musician.. whatever, one must first perfect said masters’ style and if lucky can weave it into ones own abilities. The end product hopefully being well... original!

So, that’s why I have a bit of an issue with the idea of “original”. You, Dane, do strike me as a true original. One who has mastered the ones who brung ya. Maybe I’m in a perpetual holding pattern in the phase where I’m still perfecting my masters’ style. Maybe I’ll never get beyond that phase, or, maybe I’ve grown beyond that phase, or maybe it’s Maybelline.. I dunno, it’s really not for me to say. But one thing I will never “strive” for is “originality”.. whatever that is.

Dane Aubrun said:

Hi again, Rick.

In passing, seems we have a few things in common - I have no social media accounts. Set up a Faceache on only because it was a requirement to get to a news site which I never used! Never been back to faceache since. Have no smartphone - just a clamshell mobile as I drive around a fair bit. As for friends, friend is a pretty loose term. I was consoled to find many www articles about studies showing the more intelligent a person is, the less likely they are to have "friends"! Mind, I'm not a bright person so perhaps I'm just not friend material! 

I don't have much luck with getting my music around - a few light-music pieces for locals: a movie club and one for a nearby stately home. I play a couple of orchestral instruments (badly) to join local music activities mainly with the hope of getting my stuff played. Sometimes lucky sometimes not. It's why I write for smaller ensembles. The BBC is too difficult to get things done these days. Ah well, I suppose we get by.

Your own style would be liked by many though. I hope it gets picked up soon.

Rick said:

Hi Dane,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service