Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I don't know if anyone is interested in this. Not sure I am.

The question is: What are quantifiable bullet points that define contemporary music? Do they only apply to concert music, as opposed to something one might hear in a bar? I don't hang out in bars, but I saw one on TV once. Is it only bleeding edge (or bleeding ear)(oops, sorry) atonal-ism? Is it a rock band performing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (a real thing)? Is it 4'33? Or ten minutes of seven clarinets playing random overtones? And is it the same thing in different countries and cultures? 

Views: 3613

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

dave, it seems you have your finger on the pulse and that you could answer Bob's question in a heartbeat.
You mention 'a certain style and approach' and I think that is what Bob is asking for. Please, elaborate.

I'm not disagreeing, I just don't see it the same way. Can you name a contemporary classic that highlights the

stylistic sense you allude to? I get the general reference, but that is not the gist of Bob's question. At some point in time did

music break free from it's classical past to become 'contemporary' music? I do not see contemporary or modern as styles.

Both , like classical, are merely general references to eras of music. Maybe the way to shed light on this it to ask, What is classical style music?      RS
Dave Dexter said:

They are, otherwise composers would not classify their work as such. It doesn't matter that the original meaning of the words are different. "Indie" literally derives from "independent" but it's now associated with a fairly specific kind of sound regardless of how independent the band is. "Contemporary", even if it started being used decades ago, likewise denotes a certain style or approach in most usages. You yourself used "classical" as a categorisation; classical is a historical period in which particular compositional approaches were popular, but it's also a general term. "Contemporary" can be used in much the same way, either in the strict sense or the stylistic sense.

roger stancill said:

Bob, still -  contemporary is not a style. Neither is modern.

This is one persons idea of what contemporary classical music is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMw_Cym9B4

But there is more to contemporary than classical. I'm trying to leave the parameters open, but we seem to have trouble with too much freedom.

Bobby boy, I am VERY interested in the history and 'evolution' of music. Your original question seems to be lacking

in a realistic focus and is quite vague on a solid definition of terms/words. For someone who is 'not sure' if they are really interested in the subject, you now seem eager to control the narrative. I ask questions to open up the dialog and I like to read the opinions of others. No one has to be right or wrong. As a direct question, your post is a bit inane, but it still has potential. There is no direct answer to it. So, you will get 'opinions'... and that is all you will get. There are no experts - no matter what you've heard.

ps- I thought you gave this thread up to me earlier - are you reneging... or where you just being childish?

Bob Porter said:

Roger,

Answer the question or get out of the sand box.

Roger,

Did I not say the parameters are wide open. 

Opinions are all I can expect. I never said anyone was right or wrong. I have asked specific questions time and time again. I have also not given definitions so as not to limit discussion. 

If it's too vague for you, then offer to narrow things down. Offer some opinions. Analyze the music Timo posted earlier. What sets it apart from John Williams? How do you know it wasn't written 50 years ago? 

ps.  Humor seems to be lost on you.

Dang Bob, why didn't you lead with this reference, as opposed to 'bar music and pop experiments' and the like?

What I mainly hear is a 'breaking away' from the old chant and dance beats and rhythms, to a more fluid stream of tones 

and structure. The lifeblood of music has left the heart and the heartbeat, so to speak, and it is now flowing through the veins of a body of music that is less contained and confined to it's older purposes. New purposes have gradually arrived

giving birth to new genres and vice versa. This view is not meant to be a comprehensive overview. It is merely an initial impression based on your latest introduction here, which I believe I asked you to do earlier in the thread. Now, your question makes sense. Sorry I didn't quite grasp your intent from the original post. Now I'll ask you, does my point make any sense to you?

Bob Porter said:

This is one persons idea of what contemporary classical music is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMw_Cym9B4

But there is more to contemporary than classical. I'm trying to leave the parameters open, but we seem to have trouble with too much freedom.

Roger, 

Because Bar music is also contemporary, as are all the examples I mentioned. If you want to just deal with "contemporary classical", that's fine.

seriously? that's your response.  What exactly then, is 'Bar Music'? I watched the video you linked to and tried to

play within the bounds of your sandbox. As an example of 1 potential aspect of 'contemporary style', it did not include

any of the novelty genres you mentioned. Are you saying that they can all be grouped into just 1 category or heading?

I doubt that there is a common denominator, but if there is, I too would like to learn more about what it is(or they are).

Do you have a theory?

Bob Porter said:

Roger, 

Because Bar music is also contemporary, as are all the examples I mentioned. If you want to just deal with "contemporary classical", that's fine.

Roger,

The video link was of one person's idea of contemporary classical. I never said it was my idea of same. Music you hear in a bar is probably not classical, but certainly, contemporary. The OP was about contemporary music not just contemporary classical. The video was a suggestion, only. This seems to be too confusing cor you.

Bob, you have yet, in 18 pages, to roll up you sleeves and commit to anything here. Yes, your initial question is confusing

because it is 'confused' to start with. How many 'styles' of music are there that you consider Contemporary? I have merely been trying to make some sense out of the nonsense. Defining specific 'bullet points' among the different styles of modern music could be enlightening, to see if there are underlying threads and influences, yet all you do is revert to faulting me.

ps-There are even a variety of styles of music played in a variety of styles of bars. ( Bars, Honky-tonks, Lounges, Dance Clubs etc. ) each catering to a wide range of interests in music.  So, in a similar sense, there is no such category

as Contemporary Bar Style Music.

Roger,

"Defining specific 'bullet points' among the different styles of modern music could be enlightening, to see if there are underlying threads and influences"

Bingo.

Wonderful. Now Bob, will you please respond to the 'bullet point' I made earlier . And, please keep it entertaining; so far, you really don't seem to have much else to work with. Apparently there are many onlookers here. 3491 views so far on the counter. It would be great to have some more input, but I have learned from being on this site for a couple of years now, that composers, in general, are a dysfunctional lot. Shut up y'all, you know it's true. No need to go into detail.

On the otherhand, there is a lot of knowledge and experience I've seen shared here.

Is it possible that the more articulate question to ask is, What are Contemporary 'styles' of music, and how do they differ

from styles of the past? Can you answer your own question Bob? Do you have any ideas about what you are asking? Or, are you just fishing with a baitless hook.

Bob Porter said:

Roger,

"Defining specific 'bullet points' among the different styles of modern music could be enlightening, to see if there are underlying threads and influences"

Bingo.

Or...Can "Contemporary Music" be defined in the same way classical, baroque, and romantic music can be defined, or is "Contemporary Music" not definable in the way other musics are?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service