Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Good morning fellow sonic sculptors,

I was just wondering how it works for you... Do the notes come first, or the time signature? I often find myself jotting down a rough melody before even thinking of the time. Once I have a compelling melody, I like challenging myself to apply the phrase into a time signature that doesn't really fit with the natural tendency of the phrase.

How does it work for you?

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For me, the only purpose of time signature is to simplify the score and make it easier to both write down and read/perform. So I focus on developing all the other elements first, and then adjust the signature - whether it becomes plain 4/4, odd 11/8 or changes every second measure depends on the piece.

By the way, "sonic sculptor" is a neat phrase :d
If you compose a waltz or tango the rhythm comes first.
For me ,even before the notes, a calm quiet. Searching inward. Many times looking in so far that I see and feel the parts of me I hate..or love. These feelings wear vibrations(pitch) but are much older than the notes that represent them. On the surface, I explore music with a scientific approach, but as an art, the throw the science and math out the window.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service