Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

What are the greatest benefits you get or hope to get from the Composers' Forum?

I'll start:
I get to be around, and learn from others who enjoy composing (this isn’t an activity I get to share with my face-to-face friends). I enjoy hearing the projects people are working on, and when people post about their favorite composers. Hearing about others’ thought processes gives me more confidence in my own. I’ve also gotten great advice for working out problems in a composition. Life events have pulled me away from composing in the past year, and I’m hoping to get inspired to get back to work.

How about you?

Views: 766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree.

It has done well over the last few years to survive on contributiions. I see the all pervasiveness of Facebook as a threat right now.

To Janet and Gavin's points about staying on topic, and the quality of the commentary: I think Adrian is on topic when he states that, in his view, creativity and art have something to contribute to the state of the world. so a music forum obviously has to do with that. that is part of what he gets out of this place. the same would apply to Ondib's comments.

As to quality: this of course like everything else is going to be subjective. there are some very bright and interesting people on this forum. While they may not always seem like they are on topic (and sometimes it can even be hard to figure out what the heck they're talking about), there are also people like Greg and Bob, who provide absolutely top-notch, detailed and relevant feedback. Who knows what the relative mix should be? We are individuals, and to demand too much conformity to some predetermined model of what a composers forum should be like, would in my opinion destroy what is unuique - indeed priceless - about this place.

Ah, I had that thought as well, Bob. In fact, short of divine intervention, it would take overwhelming force to establish world peace. And that would itself be violence, as the process would destroy us as individuals. someone else, I think Roger, mentioned free will. Take that away from human beings, and you no longer have human beings, but automatons. So, in order for us to be free, there has to be the possibility that some of us will do evil things. You have to take the good with the bad with human beings. that's not to resign ourselves to an endless cycle of violence. but progress toward world peace, as well as a better way for us to live on the planet, cannot come through the use of force, such as the imposition of a world government. It must happen in it's own time.

Bob Porter said: So one question might be, is world peace a form of world domination?

Janet said,

‘My apologies Ondib, for not realizing you were serious. The motto of this site may be "Composers Unite!", but I don't think we'll ever see the possibility of us to all agree.’

No problem, Janet.

Permit me to say: I think the motto “Composer’s Unite” is not an exhortation to agree. We can exist in unity as composers without existing in uniformity with regard to our opinions.

You asked,

“Beyond hoping this site will produce far reaching goals as World Peace, is there anything here that is beneficial to you personally regarding composing?”

I don’t simply hope that this forum will aid in in the production of World Peace. I know that for a certainty. Any forum which encourages civilized, cultured and respectful discourse, on matters of art, music and philosophy, makes a positive contribution, that brings humanity forward.

If you participate in forums where this does not happen, and make a comparison, you may immediately see what I mean.

Regarding something here that is “beneficial to me personally,” I think it might be selfish for me to think in those terms. If by “beneficial,” you mean, something that can broaden my thinking metaphysically, scientifically or aesthetically, then I do find that here.

If by “beneficial,” you mean, something that helps me to think about music and composing, in a way that could potentially deepen my understanding of art and creativity, both theoretically and practically (and by this last word, I do not mean “pragmatically,” in any narrow sense), then I would say yes, the forum is very valuable.

But I feel very certain that the benefits of this forum are mostly intellectual, spiritual and ethical, in that a kind of light, humorous and gentle camaraderie is created by the various kinds of discourse. The benefits are not very tangible or quantifiable, and that may be why it is difficult for people to answer your question, in a way that may appear satisfactory.

However that may be, I find the forum quite satisfying.

Who ever spoke about achieving world peace by force?

Did anybody ever force you to become a responsible citizen who doesn't go around committing random acts of theft or violence? Or did you ar some point reach a level of morality that made you a decent guy?

The point is that peace can be achieved through a collective awakening, and this is happening right now. We realise that we have been lied to, and taken to war by greedy warmongers like Dick Cheney. We need to win back democracy from these monsters. The internet is a powerful force in all its forms. In the UK right now we have learned that many high level politicians have been child abusers. We have been collectively awakened to the evil machinations of CIA and MI5 and their blackmail.

Music, and all the arts, develop the mind, develop a sense of personal morality and develop critical thinking skills. They can contribute to the awakening.

Whether it reaches critical mass and the majority of people get off their sofas is the issue right now.

Thank you, Ondib. I appreciate your thoughts, and find the following quite satisfactory for my query!

Ondib Olmnilnlolm said:

If by “beneficial,” you mean, something that helps me to think about music and composing, in a way that could potentially deepen my understanding of art and creativity, both theoretically and practically (and by this last word, I do not mean “pragmatically,” in any narrow sense), then I would say yes, the forum is very valuable.

But I feel very certain that the benefits of this forum are mostly intellectual, spiritual and ethical, in that a kind of light, humorous and gentle camaraderie is created by the various kinds of discourse. The benefits are not very tangible or quantifiable, and that may be why it is difficult for people to answer your question, in a way that may appear satisfactory.

Adrian, and others who would like to continue discussing World Peace, I respectfully ask you to start a new a topic on that subject. Thank you!

Adrian Allan said:

Who ever spoke about achieving world peace by force?

Did anybody ever force you to become a responsible citizen who doesn't go around committing random acts of theft or violence? Or did you ar some point reach a level of morality that made you a decent guy?

The point is that peace can be achieved through a collective awakening, and this is happening right now. We realise that we have been lied to, and taken to war by greedy warmongers like Dick Cheney. We need to win back democracy from these monsters. The internet is a powerful force in all its forms. In the UK right now we have learned that many high level politicians have been child abusers. We have been collectively awakened to the evil machinations of CIA and MI5 and their blackmail.

Music, and all the arts, develop the mind, develop a sense of personal morality and develop critical thinking skills. They can contribute to the awakening.

Whether it reaches critical mass and the majority of people get off their sofas is the issue right now.

I also wanted to add this: I have noticed within myself a deepening appreciation for the individuals who participate on this forum. I can honestly say I have deep respect even for (or especially for) many whose perspectives might differ, in some cases, sharply from my own.

This is another particularly strong point of the forum. I sense a growing feeling of community, a commitment to share ideas, ideals and cultural beliefs -- in connection with music and composing-- in a way that builds bonds, while allowing for a wide diversity of opinion.

People --ranging from the more materialist and/or scientific end of the spectrum to the more idealistic or religio-philosophical (or spiritual) end of the spectrum-- appear united in their sincere desire to communicate a wide range of ideas, to engage in genuinely friendly banter, and to share their love of the many and varied aspects of musical composition.

Ondib, well stated, an open hearted - open minded 'battle' of ideas

is a healthy thing.

I think the new management is trying to reaccess and re-invent

or at least trying to improve the  forum's appeal and participation.

Finding a Unified Theory for the Field of Music/Musicians is the goal.

Personally, I come for the music, but I stay for the camaraderie and the

educational enlightenment. ( and the bits-of-wits that bounce to and fro)  Peace,  RS

I saw a couple of posts from Janet about staying on topic, so I will add something about that - this is something I have noted over the years - the tendency of discussions to wander from an original subject to literally anywhere. I ask you to ask yourself a question each time you post in reply to a thread - "is this something that either (1) is responsive to the OP, (2) is responsive to another post which is responsive to the OP?" If the answer is yes, post, if not, please consider whether your point might be better made on a new thread instead. Please don't ask me what I consider to be examples of these ideas - this site is not restrictive in that way - each member of this site must decide what they think that means.

I agree with both of you, Gav and Bob. As a general "rule", Gav's points are good to go by. This is especially true with what I've noticed where some people here seem go off topic with abandon. It can be difficult for the OP to feel like they have to constantly remind people to stay on topic (an off topic activity in itself). The idea of doing so may dissuade their continued participation in their own thread, or discourage others from even starting a thread.

However, there will always be times when a different topic is sparked that seems "okay" to the OP. Perhaps when a forum administrator nudges participants to stay on topic, it might be easier for the OP to say it's fine to keep the additional topic, or thank the administrator for the reminder if they don't want their thread derailed, than it is taking the lead in monitoring their own thread.

Moving new topics to a new thread is a good idea, and yes it's a shame when a fun one dies. That said, I think this discussion on "staying on topic" is worth the risk of moving to a new thread! I've got to run right now, and will do so when I get back. Unless Gav is so inclined while I'm gone. :o)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service