Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This 3/4-time piece was composed a few months ago, before the "Waltz 2" I posted yesterday. I'll try to decrease the frequency of posting compositions. :)

Waltz 1 from Stephen C. Doonan on Vimeo.

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Well Bob these words where written by a world famous composer about another world famous composers wonderful music,"

A little clarity is more than needed here I would think. Everything is so vague..thanks.

For example:

"these words where written by a world famous composer"...

"about another world famous composers wonderful music,"...

1) WHAT was the quote exactly? Again its all very nebulous, with some of your words in there too--so please provide a link so that the actual quote might be read to better see and understand what was said. Thanks.

2) WHO is the first "world famous composer" who said it?

3) WHO was the second "world famous composer" who was spoken to?

4) WHAT was the "wonderful music" being spoken about?

You also wroie:

"PS but hey what do they know eh? oh...that is apart from writing GREAT music...."

For my money, one of the most important realizations that a composer comes to as they progress in their composing career is to see that the "great" composers arent gods, but are simply men and women who wrote music..just like many of us do.

And everything they wrote wasnt successful, and they had the same problems we all do..

and very importantly theyre not infallible in their words and actions..IOW something isnt stone cold truth solely on the basis of these "great" composers saying it. Its just their take on things, like we all have.

To me this realization is so important as their music and what and how they did it become so much more approachable and understandable when its looked at without all the hype and hero worship.

So to put so much worth on a quote simply because one "great composer" told another "great composer" doesnt work for me..especially what we're talking about here. It really doesnt sound like very good advice to me as I and others wrote above.

So again please provide all the asked for information to clarify what you were trying to say. Thanks.

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Mike Hewer said:

Well Bob these words where written by a world famous composer about another world famous composers wonderful music, but hey what do they know eh? oh...that is apart from writing GREAT music....

I said I can't remember, but you clearly don't believe me..so what, I have no reason to make things up.

My advice to this forum is professional advice, like it or lump it, are your google searches?

I said I can't remember, but you clearly don't believe me..so what, I have no reason to make things up.

Im sorry I dont understand..you wont provide anything to make your statements clearer?

It couldnt be any more nebulous, and how can it be discussed with you not providing the asked for information?

My advice to this forum is professional advice, like it or lump it, are your google searches?

Wow..what is this referring to?

And "lump it"? Is that really unnecessary.....?

and my Google searches didnt find anything even remotely related to what you stated..

I again ask for the requested information to clear this matter up.

Thanks and enjoy your day.

Mike Hewer said:

Im sorry I dont understand..you wont provide anything to make your statements clearer?

What do you not understand about "I can't remember" exactly? I think it is pretty clear to any sentient being.

And "lump it"? really unnecessary.....

Well was the quote of yours above, given I had already said I can't remember? in plain unambiguous English.

It really doesnt sound like very good advice to me as I and others wrote above.

That is the reference. I tend not to give bad advice because I mostly know what I am talking about when it comes to music. Care to show me where the others stated it wasn't good advice? as the discussion was congenial. In fact it wasn't really advice neither, rather imo, it felt  pertinent to the discussion is all. Folk take it or leave it. 

Thanks Mike...mikehewer.com

In the future speaking for myself I would appreciate much clearer references, other than "one great composer said something to another great composer about some great work." Thanks--this extreme vagueness  is one of the reasons I feel some topics go on forever..

You also mixed your own words in it, so who knows what was said--and I cant find anything close to this online, and you refuse to clarify and back up your statement. Did you search online for it as I did, or are you content to simply dismiss it with "you dont remember"?

I dont consider this a professional way to handle discussions here, but of course YMMV.

And again please reread others responses above..I'll let them speak for themsleves..

OK??

Perhaps if again we could see the quote we'd be able to understand more...so how about it?

Mike Hewer said:

What do you not understand about "I can't remember" exactly? I think it is pretty clear to any sentient being.

And "lump it"? really unnecessary.....

Well was the quote of yours above, given I had already said I can't remember? in plain unambiguous English.

It really doesnt sound like very good advice to me as I and others wrote above.

That is the reference. I tend not to give bad advice because I mostly know what I am talking about when it comes to music. Care to show me where the others stated it wasn't good advice? as the discussion was congenial. In fact it wasn't really advice neither, rather imo, it felt  pertinent to the discussion is all. Folk take it or leave it. 

Thanks Mike...mikehewer.com

Well Gav, how about it?...I mean..seriously?

This thread should be about Stephen's work and nothing else. If it continues as is, it will be closed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service